1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I find myself despising religion

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by -Michael-, Jul 31, 2008.

1. -Michael-

Okay,

Im an atheist. I have my reasons. I'll gladly go into them if you want but i know they're some religious people here so i'd rather not offend them.

Recently after doing a lot of research into christianity (mainly because of the WBC interview but some personal interest) i have just been despising it more and more.

90% of all gay hate has got to originate from christians. But thats not why i hate them.

I just find the whole concept utter bullshit.

Someone went to me the other day;

"Ha scientology how retarded is that, Tom Cruise is off his rocker"
    I replied
    "Oh yes, that invisible man theory living in the clouds and him knocking up a virgin without even blinking. Yerrrr thats easily more plausable than aliens..."

I just can't get my head around the ammount of people who take in (in my opinion) this bullshit.

I just find myself hating them more and more.

Even Joan. (My nana :slight_smile:)

:help:

2. Derek the Wolf

I'm an atheist too bro (and I was raised Catholic by my Catholic parents and go to a Catholic school). Try not to hate these people. They're just doing what their higher religious "authority" tells them. Catholic dogma openly bans homosexuality as a practice, so that hatred filters down into all the drones. The individuals are not to blame. The church is always the slowest to change, so once we gain mainstream social acceptance (which we're still working on) THEN about fourty years after that the church will change. I'll be lucky to see it in my lifetime.

ANYWAY, try not to hate a person because of their religious views (even if that does make them anti-you). Just let them believe whatever they want to believe. If they push it on you, either ignore them or give them your arguments for your beliefs. Think of it as a friendly debate (you'll never actually convince them, but you will make them think).

Good luck with your more religious acquaintances! Let me know if you have any problems with religious nuts, that's one thing I can help with. (*hug*)

3. Antrioss

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I'm back. A good, juicy topic for me to pick at. Actually, my solution is simple.

I view religion as a... I can't think of a good word. I guess I'd call it a general idea. Out of that general idea, spawns other, small, some bitter, some open-minded, interpretations. Some people take the interpretations differently: ranging from "vengeance" to "openness". I just stay out of it. Too complicated and... time consuming.

In this opinionated answer, I mean no offense to anyone. Nor do I expect myself to be "correct" in any way. (It's an opinion, so it's not fact.)

Religion is religion. Opinions are opinions. Interpretations are interpretations. Life is life: Live it how you want.

4. ElizabethAnne

Disclaimer: what follows is my own opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone!

What you are feeling is totally understandable! Especially because of the views held by many fundamentalist and Catholic Christians.

However, I think that despising someone based on their moral choices may be misguided. I think that religion is important for many people. In general, religion gives many people a structure by which they live their lives. I don't think there is anything wrong with believing that something in the universe loves you or is watching out for you, and wants you to love the people around you and watch out for them. I think that it's only when hate is added to the situation that it becomes wrong. Despising people for living this way may just be perpetuating negativity! Also, polarizing the issues: athiest&pro-gay vs Christian&anti-gay tends to make the situation worse. See: Fred Phelps and his "God Hates Fags" posters, which obviously don't do anything but hurt! Religion doesn't equal homophobia, but rather certain people make it this way!

5. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I get closer to God without religion =O God Himself works wonders, and He's an awesomely funny person =)

6. Defraction

Keep a close eye on this thread, mods! :wink:

I find myself an agnostic. I don't think anyone knows and have the brainpower to understand how the whole universe came to be. Didn't the Bible only talk about Earth?

But I don't completely disagree about everything happening by chance. There has to be a first cause. Religion is just man's way to get their head around it. Surely if there was one true religion, why is there s***loads of others?

IMO nobody knows, and nobody can know. It's simply too complicated for us mere humans to understand.

7. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I agree ae I don't find myself hating Christians but I do find myself wonder how they can all be so blind. I believe science can explain everything - you know evolution and all and no where in there comes God.
    Although I must admit that because all of my family are Christians I get really frustrated at time but I don't hate them I don't think...
    Either way i don't' keep my beliefs hidden and it gets me in a lot of arguments with them. But what can you do? Some times I think it is just so they have someone to blame when things go wrong instead of admitting they screwed up- you know it's part of Gods big plan and all that.

And honestly no offense to anyone on here that does believe in God, I don't hate you it's just not what I believe. :icon_bigg Honest!

8. -Michael-

Its not een the scientific part of it.

If half the christians who claim themselves to be so devout, surely they would know about Horus.

The sun god of egypt, 3000BCE, born of a vrigin, became a 'man' at 12, no records of him from 12-30, began his ministry at 30, 12 disciples, was crucified, dead for 3 days, rose back to life....

Although there is some speculation of the last one.
    People don't know if he was resurrected or if he resurrected his 'father'.

Anyway my point being...these devout christians who find so many things wrong with so many people and find flaws in everyhting they beleive...come talk to me :wink:
    We'll see who wins haha

9. jony8472

I'm a Agnostic/Catholic

I'm not sure how faithful I am, but I understand faith and that it transcends a lot of things.

I understand how people can see the other side and find Faith utterly stupid.

10. berileos

berileos Guest

I believe in science!I think it's not understandable for someone to love something that doesn't exist.Here are the questions...What is God?From where did he appeared?What can prove his existence?Priests have these answers:The point is to believe...We believe in Santa Claus,but does he exist?All wars on the world were started because of the stupid thing called religion...christians,islam,hindu...they are all the same people with different aspect on this world.I know that science never came up with a solution,nor it will,but that's not a reason to make up stories of turning water into wine...or something.Think of a world without religion...

11. Trumpetplyer23

I am Buddhist, but I do believe in God and Jesus.

I was baptized Luthren, which is my mother's religion. My father is Catholic. I spent a year at a Catholic School.

I know many Christians and many Catholics. Some of them are really nice people and they don't condemn homosexuallity. Yet, there's always one nut in the bunch that hates gays or whatever other group that they choose to hate at that moment.

I know many people (myself included) that believe that the Bible and God's overall message is one of love. Not of hate for being gay. God created everyone, so why would he hate certain people.

I can understand, where you'd find religion stupid. Some things in religion are stupid. I mean, there are things in the Bible that confuse the hell out of me. I think it's stupid that people would use a religion to promote hatred and (potentially) violence.

The point is, if you hate them for being Christian (even if they don't hate gays), then you're no better than them. They hate us for being gay/bi, you hate them for being Christian, you just increase the amount of hatred in the world. It's better to just laugh them off. That's what I do.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My father is Roman Catholic.
    He not only goes to church a few times a week, he serves Mass on occasion.
    He volunteers on the board of directors of the Salvation Army.
    He devotes his time and money to causes such as soup kitchens and hospitals in rural areas.
    He knows I'm gay, he loves my partner, and accepts him as part of the family.

Yeah, I know. He's one of the "good ones". One of the exceptions to the rule.

But when you start bashing Christianity, you're bashing everyone who believes in this "bullshit". And that includes my father. Who happens to be one of the best human beings I ever met. So forgive me if I rankle a little. You might find some comfort when a homophobes declares that "you're one of the good ones - not like them other fags", but most of us wouldn't feel that way.

For many years, many Christians had no qualms about putting down and terrorizing all other belief systems. Why should they not? They had the truth on their side, right? All those other religions were wrong. Many atheists and agnostics point to that behavior, and similar behavior today, as proof of the arrogance and narrow-mindedness that religion can cause.

And then I see a post like this. Where someone has figured it all out. And belittles those idiots who can't see how stupid THEIR belief system is, when it's obvious that the truth is what HE believes. And why should he have to put up with their obviously incorrect belief systems, when the truth is on his side?

In English class, they call that "irony".

Lex

13. Alexander

And christians find the idea of absolute atheism bullshit. But you don't hear most of us saying it.

Yes, and that one nut is the one that gives the entire religion a bad name. 99% of christians (although they may believe that it's wrong) still love and accept gay people.

#13 Alexander, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  14. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't go as far as 99%. Still, on the original subject...

You have full rights to think the idea of it is ridiculous and illogical. I agree with you, it is. It amazes and sometimes saddens me to think how many people are polluted and how much society is restricted by religious dogma. I'm on your side. Still, I don't hate them. They're not hate-worthy. If you want to silently mock them, go full force. Giant loads of shit can be traced back to radical Christians and blind intolerance, but even I can't bring myself to hate every one of them.

15. Étoile

If you're Christian, great. If you're an Athiest, awesome. If you worship trees and rocks, fine by me.

We just need to learn to love one another.

16. wherewulfe

think about it this way. back when they first "discovered" god, they didnt exactly have science to explain things. and being sentient beings we have a need to explain EVERYTHING. so they create god as a way of explaining and setting guidelines for life. and if you hate catholics so much, go pick up a bible and flip to first corinthians (near the back) and read chapter 13 verses 4-8 (quite beautiful stuff)

as for 90% of all gay hate coming from catholics, not quite, several cultures didnt take to homosexuality because it was considered abnormal, being the prominent religion in the world, catholics are the most outspoken because they believe in strength in numbers.

now im going to go watch scrubs, peace

17. RuralMedAU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I too believe in Science, I'm getting my Master's degree in Biology. Why does science and religion always have to be separated and at odds. I think they are complimentary to each other. In my opinion, some of the things you learn in science, the order that came from chaos, the perfectly working systems, among others, can only be explained as being designed by something not of this world.

If we knew for certain that God existed then it would not be faith. There would be no need for religion. If you have never seen or experienced something that was nothing short of a miracle then I can see where it would be hard to understand about believing in something you cannot see. You believe in hope don't you? Can you see hope?

18. Bryan90

The vice of media and the internet: You only get the loudest and nastiest opinions that would cause the most uproar.

I know a lot of christians who believe that people should live in harmony and opinions should be respected, and don't go around judging, hitting and taunting others. It's just that their opinions never get broadcasted across the internet. We are fed with malignant lines from bishops and pastors like "gays should go to hell!", "god hate fags!".

Yes, religion did fuel a lot of wars. If you thought world war 2 was scary, check out the 4 crusades. Nonetheless, you don't blame the gun for the murder, you blame the people.

The christians/muslims hate us, we hate the them, they hate each other? When is it ever going to end? I don't expect the isrealis and the palestinians to stop hating each other tomorrow. But I, selfishly and biasly, like to think that the LGBTQ community is one step higher. We can start the examplary demeanor by not shooting those who shot at us, by not judging those who judge us, and by not hating those who hate us. Ah if only the entire world was LGBTQ-identified. Amen.... lol..

19. Vampyrecat

Guys. keep it nice. If you're going to get nasty the thread will get closed and tough cookies to anyone who doesn't like it.

Now. My own opinion.

I personally am neither christian, catholic, hindu, muslim, agnostic or atheist. I am a Deist. I believe that there is Something out there, it may be God it may be some alien civilisation or something completely unthinkable to human kind.

But for the purposes of this conversation I'll call my deity God.
    I believe that my God would not have created me if I wasn't wanted (Yes, I believe that My God is Asexual).
    I believe that for whatever reason, It chose to create all of us and that there is no such thing as heaven or Hell. Hell is a place we create for ourselves by leading negative and unwholesome lifestyles. Heaven is also a place we create for ourselves by being true to ourselves and treating everyone with the kindness, love and respect that everyone deserves.

Basically I'm one of those hippies who believes that everyone should should treat each other with love and kindness and help everyone out. I believe no one should treat another with love and kindness, only because they're afraid of divine anger if they don't.
    People should treat each other as human beings because we are all equal and none of us have the right to judge others, as we are all "Sinners" and the only one who can judge us is God.