1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Changes at Empty Closets - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Jun 17, 2008.

1. bitou

bitou Guest

If a regular Member like me ( poor me) has a friend who is full member you mean they wont be able to talk anymore? I though this was a social network ? I m very confuse

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, that is correct.

The reasoning is that anyone who signs up gets regular member status. They could be genuine members like you or they could be people with more dubious motives. We need to stop just anyone from making private contact with members. So we have the restrictions for new members, and promote them to full members once we are reasonably happy that they are legit.

The form for applying for full member status is now available.

The PM restrictions won't be added for a couple of weeks though, to allow regular members time to apply for full member status, and to allow us to continue going through our member lists.

3. bitou

bitou Guest

Thanks . Well , I think that I just have to fellow the rules.

4. halfy

hi, i seem to be having trouble logging on and staying on at empty closets. i'm not sure if this is to do with the member change or the fact that i haven't been on in a while. the forum keeps logging me out when i log in. could you help me with this?

5. Grof142007

how much is left -.- im bearing with ya but yea

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the only thing that's left is turning off Private Messaging to and from Regular Members.

So... not much. It'll be interesting to see if that much changes. Guess it'll depend on how the application for Full Membership process works out and how many people care desperately about PMing. I have to say I don't use it that much.

7. Tim

Tim

Try deleting your cookies and private data, I had this happen for the longest time a few years ago, as I didn't even know what cookies were at the time, so there were like 2 years worth of them on the computer, deleting them solved it.

8. William1

Hi! I just want to say despite the moaning about it, I am very grateful to the mods and admins for these changes.

I guess I'm just dumb, but I was contacted by someone, and I gave him loads of personal information and my e-mail and everything, and now I find he was banned for 'inappropriate' things with younger members.

He seemed very nice and I was going to meet him, but now I won't. I nearly gave him my address and mobile (cell phone) number, but I'm glad a mod contacted me just in time. My uncle warned me about contacting peeps on the net, but this guy seemed really nice and not like a paedo (I'm not saying he is, cos that would be unfair, but I don't know).

Neway, I think this is a good system, and it might have saved me being embarrassed - so my thanks to the mods. :thumbsup:

9. halfy

thanks. i figured it out. it turns out i was logged in here at my work computer, so when i came to log in at home, it automatically logged me out because i was logged on at another computer. thanks for the advice anyway. btw, where do you find cookies on your computer? i always forget where they are. in my experiance, manually clearing your cookies is much better for making your computer work faster rather than defragging it which (in my experiance) just deletes all of your precious, precious files.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, that's correct. The current plan is to add the PM restrictions on the weekend 26/27 July, but it is really dependant on how we get through the membership upgrade requests and how the advisors settle in with contacting new members to welcome them etc.

At the moment we have allowed regular members to continue using blogs and albums on the basis that these are public not private (regular members cannot comment on blogs and photos though). However we are keeping an eye on that to see how it works out. I hope it can stay as it is - fingers crossed!

On the full membership upgrades we are now just dealing with applications and are not looking for any other members to upgrade ourselves. This is simply because in the lower post count bands it is such a massive job to sort through them all. So if you are a regular member, have been active on the forum etc for a while and want to be upgraded, please fill out the form to apply. :thumbsup:

Also if anyone received the PM from Martin a couple of weeks ago saying they would be full members but is still a regular member, please post in Ask the Staff. One person that we accidentally missed already has, and has now been sorted.

11. SamAlex728

Okay, not a complaint, just something I just noticed. I just saw a newb with a custom title. So you got rid of the 500-post thing for custom titles during the updates?

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks William, that kind of feedback is important to hear. Please if anybody feels uncomfortable with anybody here please let us know. We're doing our best to make everybody safe!

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, I thought it would be good to let everyone set custom titles now. :thumbsup:

14. SamAlex728

15. Alexander

is there *any* way a regular member can contact another member privately?

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They can (or will be able to...) contact mods and the advisors privately. That's it, though.

17. SamAlex728

If you are asking because it has happened, it is because Paul hasn't set up PM restrictions yet.

18. Urman

Urman Guest

i glad i read up on this

19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, that would defeat the point of it all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The changes are planned to take effect this weekend. Once in place Regular Members will only be able to PM Advisors, Experts, Mods and Admins. The only way you can really communicate with a new member is by profile messages, but they will not be able to reply so I wish ye luck having a conversation that way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It isn't ideal, but it was either this or no forum at all. We've tried to make it as simple as possible by making the application process simple. It isn't impossible to obtain Full Member status, but it does require some consistant activity on the applicants part.