1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Changes at Empty Closets - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Jun 17, 2008.

1. MeskElil

Well, they're looking over every member to see if they're EM material. That means not just post counts, but helpfulness and whatnot.
    Also, if that is your main focus, I don't think you would be turned down if you applied to be an EM, which you will be able to do shortly.
    The post count is simply a starting point for the mods to start reviewing people to see if they should be an EM.

2. Tom

Tom Guest

one issue that i have noticed in the chatroom is people that regularly enter the chat, but rarely enter the forums and so have a low post count but love the chatroom and might not be immediately considered for EM, and so may have to wait a while to get back in there. i think that the application process should be started a few days before this is released maybe, finish all the programming first by all means so it is ready to go but allowing the few extra days for applications could help the transition to the new system as there will be fwer people that are anoyed by not being allowed in the chatroom, Derek and Martin should know almost all of those that would be affected the most by this and so maybe they could give these people slight priority as without the chatroom half of them will disappear.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All applications will be looked at individually. That is what makes it hard to give a set criteria like "100+ posts". We will mainly be looking at peoples behaviour, and of course we will need a fair amount of posts for that to assess accurately. That isn't to say they will need 100, but that's not to say 10 will be enough either. The best thing to do would be to apply. We will read your posts and check them so if you aren't an active poster but you behave sensibly and any forum background checks we do are satisfactory then there would be no reason for us to reject you. However you do need to show that this type of behaviour is consistent and not the result of logging on once a day, posting 1 or 2 mildly helpful posts for one week and then expecting access to communication features. Worrying about post count is not really worth it as you can just use your common sense to judge what you consider to be enough time and posts for somebody to get a decent impression of you. Forum checks done will either help your application or result in it being denied, but if you are denied then it will be explained why if you aren't sure.

As for Chatroom regulars: The current Chatmods will be playing a part in the application process. Any input they give will be valued as they will know the member better than anybody on the staff team. Even the most minor incidents are logged in the mod forum so we can do a fairly accurate check on the member based on them. If they seem to pass these requirements then there is no reason for them to not be given access to Chat.

The critera has not been finalised yet, and it is hard making one when every application is unique. We will try our best to enforce the criteria set, however we are more interested in getting members ranked to the correct group than making them wait. If we see a member who we all agree deserves ranking then we have no reasons to not rank them because they may only have 98 posts or whatever. I wouldn't dwell on these criteria motives too much. They are mainly there to help us, however the main influence will come from the users themselves.

4. TriBi

Well said MeskElil - you are absolutely correct.

The idea is to try and screen for potential predators...and unfortunately, sometimes these may masquerade as somebody they aren't. Sometimes they can be easily spotted (yes, we have banned before for this reason) but sometimes that may not be the case - hence the need for caution.

That said, the way we are approaching things is just the most logical way to begin working through things. Those people who have been regulars on the Forum, have made their views, personalities etc known over a period of time are the ones with whom we have most information to work - and easiest to use the "broad brush" approach to say "we think they are OK".

The ones on whom we have less information will naturally require a little more time. I'm sorry if that disadvantages some initially, but we will be working to make the whole process as fair as we can. Please realise that this has literally happened in a whirlwind in the last few days. The number of hours all the Mod team has spent in discussions is way beyond anything I can ever recall before on EC - and as for the amount of time that Paul has personally put into this - I shudder to think. I doubt he has done much 'work' (of the type that earns him a living) in the last week.

5. darkness

This is a great idea... I have to say I don't think I would have lasted on EC if it was not for some of the welcoming PM's I received from other members
    (&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks...

To be honest, I think the "post your pic" thread has always been problematic with respect to increasing the divide between certain groups of members based on their personal attractiveness. While it's nice for people to get positive feedback, what about everyone who either didn't feel self-confident enough to post their pic or who posted and got no or next to no feedback? Especially in light of how certain repeat posters often got people fawning over their photos?

Having that all in one thread really materially changed the tenor of EC, in my opinion. Please understand I know that was not at all the intent of the thread, nor the conscious intent of the people who posted there... after all, I posted there once or twice myself and certainly not to try to damage EC or anything. I just think that the thread inadvertently had this effect.

While the same type of feedback can happen in albums now, it won't be this massive list of people where at a quick run through you can really see the overall general consensus on "who's hot, who's not" and I can't see that being anything but incredibly positive.

7. CrimsonThunder

Im not a fan of these changes at all. Reminds me of another forum I used to go at, although that was only 10 posts there to have access to the full forum. I think 100 is a bit too high as not everyone posts lots.

I think new members will feel like outcasts, wasn't there a big thing a while ago about members feeling un-noticed? This will probably add to that. >.>

It'll be way harder for the new members to make friends on this site now, which is why I loved it at the start.

Why dont you just make it so you have to approve all PM's? Then new members can PM as well. All I can see is PM's will just be "Add me to MSN." etc.

I think thats all I had to say.

8. LOVEjames

I'm confused, everyone is talking like the EM won't be able to connect with the RM at -all-, and I thought we could like... still post on the same message boards and everything. Like, we could greet them in the introductions thread and everything... o.o We just won't be able to PM them.

9. MeskElil

You're right, LOVEjames. There was just talk of a separate forum for EMs, and I think that got a little out of hand and people thought that it meant EMs and RMs wouldn't be able to communicate at all, which would be bad considering once an RM was made an EM they would lose all the friends they made...
    That's not what the mods meant at all.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure there are probably WAAAAY too many PMs flying back and forth for them all to be moderated. That's asking too much of the mods.

The changes do suck but you can see why they're necessary from a legal perspective. EC has owners... it may be that all it would take is one angry parent's lawsuit and EC would probably cease to exist completely, so it is better to try to avoid the kind of situation that would engender conflict of that manner.

From a totally different perspective, it would suck a lot more than messaging restrictions if someone from EC were seriously victimised by someone who found them via EC. I don't honestly think it would be EC's fault, ethically, but I can see why EC would want to take as many reasonable steps as they could to prevent that.

As is usually the case with the world, a tiny fraction of creeps tend to spoil things for the rest of us.

11. Kimi

Now, that makes me wanna be a selected mod:badgrin:

Anyways, I wanna know what will happen to the old PMs that I exchanged with others?
    Will they be gone when new system installed?

12. LOVEjames

I don't think that the PM logging feature is there so the mods can just look at every PM sent, I'm pretty sure it's more there just in case a complaint is received but the person who was harassed accidentally deleted the PM or in similar situations.

From what I see, the only changes that are really going to be made are that EMs won't be able to sent PMs to RMs (lotsa _Ms xD), and RMs won't be able to enter the chatroom or send PMs until they've proven that they're here for actual reasons. And from what I've heard so far, even if you don't post a whole lot, what's in your posts is going to be what matters. I mean, if you have 120 posts of just <5 word posts in the Fun & Games section and you've been here for a week, your application will probably (from what I've inferred, so don't quote me) be denied. While someone who's made 30 posts in various places that were actually separated by paragraphs and seems to be well thought out, and you've been here for the same amount of time, your application is probably (again, don't quote me) going to be approved, or has more chance of being approved than the other person.

And I totallllly know that I'm saying this on no authority whatsoever, but I'm just trying to help. :slight_smile:

13. Willywilly92

Willywilly92 Guest

like would u have to be an established member to do this cuz im not one but im really good at giving advice to people who really need it. i have been a peer mediater at my school for the past three years and i would really want to do it somewhere where it really it matters.:icon_bigg

14. TyraBanksIsFierce

What if you could like automatically flag PM's sent from New members for moderation?

15. step49x

Overall, I can understand why these new rules were added. The one issue I had was with limiting PMs to new members, which I could see being taken care of with a welcome committee (how's that for a group name?). For me, it's always been a given that admin could see PMs, and I really don't expect much to change (besides them reminding people, once again, that they have the ability to do this).

I do have to say, I am always amazed at the activity of the forum leaders, here. Thanks for all your work. I know people won't always like your decisions, but that's life. You can make some of the people happy all of the time, and all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time...

Even if mods are just moderating the PMs of new members, it's still way too much work to expect them to do. Just because they have the ability to read everyone's PM, doesn't mean they will.

If I was a mod, I wouldn't want to read everyone's PMs. I'd rather focus my attention on things everyone sees (the forum, the blogs, etc), than things only a couple people will see (PMs).

16. CrimsonThunder

Yeah I forgot about that, then it would take ages to PM people, usually they are instant replies but due to that it would take a while. XD

17. Grantious

Hey Hey,

These changes remind me of the system that the chadzboyz forum uses new members had to have 10 Posts or more to even be reviewed to be classified a full member. The system on this site will be a lot different from what I've read but some of the best changes seem to be made. I'm way happy with the changes I believe they are the most logical and sensible step and the idea of a separate forum section for pictures and stuff for full members would be heaps of fun

I remember back when i was at chadz (b4 i moved to this forum; because EC IS DA BOMB ha ha ha) that the member system gave me a sense of security. So Good Luck with the changes got my full support :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

xoxoxo.

18. Sam

Sam

I think its a good idea. While some may not be happy about it, Safety is very important and the mods just want to make sure that this site can be a safe place to come to. This site is a place to meet others like us and get support and have fun, not to be the subject of somebodys twisted, perverted thoughts.

19. cc6log

Well these changes sound like they are necessary the survival and legitimacy of this site. I came here mainly for the chatroom which was a nice way to talk about things on the internet without leaving things on here that are searchable by google or anything similar. I'm not bitter at all here I just want to say that it was fun while it lasted. I understand there is no way to differentiate me between the idiot who was trying to inappropriately do something or other through this site, this leaves me with no qualms. So to all I discussed things with in the chatroom over these last few weeks, thank you. And unless I change my mind about posting publicly about something I am not at all public with in my own life, this will be the end of my time here "whenever I officially am unable to get into the chatroom" If it comes to that as I see it most likely will then "Good Luck and Good Night" everyone. I guess one last question would be if anyone knows any chatrooms similar to this one that may be of use for me?
    cc6log

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a shame that this has to happen, but I think it's a good idea.