1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Changes at Empty Closets - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Please use this thread to discuss the important changes being made at Empty Closets, which are described in detail here.

Please read all of that thread before commenting or asking questions as the information may already be in there.

2. pirateninja

I know some of the changes are a bit harsh, such as taking the chatroom and ability to PM other members from the "regular members". However having read what caused this debacle to come up:

I think that it may be a reasonable idea. After all, you don't know who is logging on, and as harsh as this new system can seem, it does mean that members have to "prove themselves" almost, that they are here for genuine reasons.

As much as it is all for safety, I can still see this news being taken badly. :dry:

3. Tim

Tim

I actually like the idea... The established member thing is a good idea, prevents perverts from targeting members on the site (people of all ages, although 18- are more likely here) with inappropriate content. The whole IM thing and myspace also seems like a good idea.

I'm still a bit iffy about PMs being saved on the server and mods being able to view them, as there's nothing bad about PMs I send, but it does feel like a bit of privacy invasion, but then again, I trust the mods on the site, as I've talked to all of them at one point or another o.o.

However, I'm curious. What will happen to the pics thread? As a lot of members enjoy posting pictures there, to show new hairstyles, piercings, etc. but keeping it open would be just as bad as myspace, if not worse. Would it be possible to make it available to established members and not new members, instead of being deleted, which I'm guessing will prob. happen to it?

Also: What will happen to the profile messages? Will those be kept? I see nothing mentioned about them. I kind've enjoy being able to leave a quick message on someone's profile, rather then sending an actual PM about it, lol.

Gonna go about removing my MSN address and myspace address on profile now :3

4. MeskElil

The idea of inappropriate contact between older and younger members is slightly frightening to me...I didn't realize that it was a problem.

I agree that these measures are completely necessary for the safety of members, and even now it is still very liberal. I appreciate the Mod staff for taking so much about our safety into account.

Well...I just wanted to state my opinion.
    Thank you, Mods.

5. agraves

I'm fairly new to the forum so I will likely be losing some of the features. It makes me sad, but I definately agree with the reasons for which it is being done. I'm glad the mods fought for the forum to keep the PM and chartoom capabilities. Those make it feel more personal and friendly, in my opinion.

6. Jeimuzu

I agree that these changes are wise. However, the member whose actions created the necessity for them, would have been a good candidate for established membership, I'd have thought.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

PMs were where we found quite a lot of the evidence of what was going on. We are legally obliged to keep them, like the chatlogs, and periodic checking through could reveal potential problems. We haven't established the system yet but it may be that the initial view is the messages only (a page full at a time), without sender or recipients names. Then we'd only check who if there was a problem.

That's still being discussed. A section for established members only is one idea.

We have a lot of details to clear up still. The decision was only reached yesterday, so we may not have answers for everything yet.

8. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm....so you will read all my PMs and know my darkest secrets? :lol:

I think the changes are a bit drastic, but if this is what it takes to make EC truly 'a safe place' then I'm not complaining

9. Tim

Tim

That actually sounds nice, but it's up to you guys of course, not like I'll leave EC because of it LOL. It's kind of like the anonymous forums that way, can't see names, but if someone shows that needs a name, you're able to check. >.> So I'm hoping that's what happens, but I'm happy either way.

kk, was just curious :slight_smile: Thought about it when I was browsing through Chit Chat and saw the thread, then thought "Wait a second..." lol.

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is the one problem we did think of, however with all these new monitoring procedures being put in place they would have been caught that way. We will not just let anybody into the Established Member group. They will be checked out before being given powers to contact any members. :slight_smile:

Getting into the group is only one part. If anybody does abuse the powers given to them then they can expect to lose them. It is harsh, but i can't think of another way that EC could be more safe. ^_^

11. MeskElil

Yay, MartinSuperMod!!! :eusa_clap
    Particularly the last sentence. Shows me that you really care. I'm glad the people on EC care so much...it makes me feel so much safer.

12. JSG

JSG Guest

I don't like this at all, but I understand perfectly well that this is needed.
    Because of people like :***:, a wonderful forum like EC needs to be restricted. The people it'll affect the most are the new members who need help and PM someone they trust for advice, many are too shy to post on the public forum or just prefer to talk to one person.
    I like sending PMs to new members, I'm very disappointed.

C'est la vie...

13. Tom

Tom Guest

i have to agree, when im in the mood to frequent the forums and i see a new person i did enjoy sending em a PM to make them feel welcome and to encourage them to get 10 posts so i cud have sum fresh meat in the chatroom (meat referring to sum1 to pick on, in a kind way)

anyways i do get why this is being done, and i will support it 100%. i just hope it doesn't put off a few new people but it if makes EC a safer place then i think it would be worth it.

14. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We understand this may be upsetting to many of you, believe me it was upsetting to me. But if EC is able to continue these changes must be made. I'm really glad you guys understand why this must happen and are willing to support it even if you may not like it.

15. Grof142007

ugH AND I I JUST FIX MY SIGGY hmp oh well what must be done must be done man that going to kill that chat room but im glad we still have the chat room cause im sure a couple of ppl would have died out if it was gone.

and ill edit out my siggy so it wont show myspace ,stickam, YT but QUESTION Can i still have the link to the EC shop?

16. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quoted from other thread. :slight_smile:

17. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, i can't see why not. There are no plans to remove it so your link should be just fine. :slight_smile:

I'll ask Paul next time i see him, but i can't imagine it being a problem.

18. sexyalex

like OMG, just when i thought things on this site could never get worst. NO disrespect to the owners or advisors or whoever...

..btw before i go into my speech, Paul i have a question for u....u said;
    right? then why did u also say...
    i mean.... (Alex is confused :confused:)

anyways, :dry:
    my opinion and i seriosuly hope this dose not affect me in anyways, but my opinion on this is EXCELLENT. I mean for security purposes of course cuz one of my classmates caught me on EC and said she would tell everyone about thi site if i don't pay her. NOW I DON'T HAVE TO cuz they will never find me :dry:

but,....and yes BUT; i think the whole you guys monitoring PM thing, IS SOOOO RUDE! i mean why call it "Private messaging" if it's not gonna be private!?

huh?! :shrug:
    i mean like...this is all adding up. I thik i am putting somethign together. oh and one last question... If i am to get bannded again or...something like that. I wouldn't be bannded form the site temp. like the last time or just be demoted to regular user?

and IF i am just demoted....then what are the punishments a regular user get for not following code of conduct? :shrug:

i knwo my questions are kinda bothering and stupid (my spanish teacher just told me she is glad i am graduating and getting rid of me :tears:slight_smile: but please at least shed some light on my comments...:slight_smile:

thank you,
    Alex.

19. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First of all he means you need to remove all email addresses, messenger info, facebook links and myspace links from your profiles.
    And we have to monitor PMs for members own safety, we have had several incidents with this in the past and now it has become necessary. I am not sure if demotion is going to be used as a punishment. People will be demoted if they give us a reason to by demonstrating that our trust in them was misplaced. However if a member does something ban worthy they will still be banned. And questions are never a bad thing as long as they make sense and are asked in an appropriate and respectful manner.

20. sexyalex

see...
    see that right there. totally Mod material!

Thanks Behling. :grin: