1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG! i just ate an expired white fungi on strawberry jam!!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by neverover, Mar 10, 2008.

1. neverover

i ate it for like 3hr ago. it just taste the same. but when im about to eat it again right now, its gone. i go to the kitchen, and there it was, with white fungus cotton-look-alike, my strawberry jam lie at the garbage can. im so stupid to not to take a closer look back then. not to mention im having this really bad cough since 3 days ago. what if it worsen my disease? i just took my normal cough medicine, do u think it can handle the fungi, too?

2. darkestknight

That's why I always look at the expiry date everytime I want to eat a food product. I don't know, but I won't eat something without an expiry date there.

My parents think that I'm having sorta OCD just because I inspect my food carefully before eating.

As for the fungi, have you asked a doctor before?

3. JSG

JSG Guest

:dead:
    You're doomed...

Nah, you'll be fine.

4. neverover

i never ate a fungus jam before, so i never ask a doctor before. u sure im gonna be fine? i musnt get sick tomorrow, because its gonna be one busy day... URGH! wish me luck for tomorrow!

5. iPieman

A little bit of mold never hurt anyone.

6. TriBi

^ what he said.
    I really think you have more to worry about from paranoia than a little bit of mould on some jam...

7. KaraBulut

You eat mold on your food all the time (cheese! grapes!) and never realize it. Unless you have an extreme allergy to mold (which you would have seen long before you posted this) a little mold won't hurt you.

You'll be fine.

8. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I drunk a one-year old expired milk in powder and I'm fine :slight_smile:

9. Wired106

LOL same! I always look at the expiration date and won't eat it if its over the date and my parents think im like weird when i look at the expiration date haha. But ya I hate it when theres old food and I always look at the fruit and stuff carefully to make sure i dont like eat some mold or w/e that could be on it lol.

10. panda

A bit of mold may be good for you. Penicillin is a mold.

11. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your doomed. Oh so doomed.
    We at EC will miss you dearly...:tears:

:lol:

A little mold never killed anyone.

12. darkestknight

Wow, that's enlightening! :grin:

So, just curious, if the mold in those commercial cheddar cheese is green or dark green, could they be harmful as well?

13. Louise

Like everyone said, a little mold never hurt anyone, just scrape it off next time, the jam underneath is still edible.

14. Swimmerboy

Maybe you will kill some pre-existing bad bacteria.

15. KaraBulut

The mold that arises on fresh fruits and vegetables doesn't just appear- the spores are already on the food when you put it in the refrigerator. And it's there long before you see it in the patchy fuzzy stuff that is visible to the eye.

That white dusty stuff on grapes? Mold.
    That white film on organic cheddar cheese with no preservatives? Mold.

Most people don't realize that quite a few of the better "aged" cheeses are made with mold. For example, blue cheese, roquefort, gorgonzola - all cheese made with mold. That's what makes blue cheese blue- it's mold.

Years ago, someone figured out that mold adds flavor to cheese. Cheesemakers used to let bread get moldy and then they would transfer the spores from the bread to the cheese. Now the process is a little more commercialized but it still uses molds- like they have for hundreds of years.

Whoever said that the food under the mold is still good- you're correct. The mold is digesting the surface portion of the food and- at least in the first couple of days- the rest is still good. After a while, the mold takes over and the food is probably best thrown in the trash- especially once it gets moist and a bit slimy.

The effect is mostly psychological. Because mold is kind of hairy looking and comes in unappetizing colors like blue and green, we tend to avoid eating it. But if you accidently eat some, it's not likely to hurt you unless you have a severe allergy to molds.

16. Urman

Urman Guest

the worst case senario is food posing and it also depends how much u consumed.

17. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As a few days have gone past, has anybody heard from Neverover since? I'm sure he's fine, though......

18. neverover

its rama, bitch.

lol:lol:. im fine. i guess im overeacting. sorry if worries u:lol:. i made a comeback, now:slight_smile:

19. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep you're fine now. A little expired food with mold never hurt (or maybe it does) lol. :slight_smile:

20. JWAD

JWAD Guest

nah mostly the white stuff on top of jams are harmless, the pathogens (harmfull micro organisms) grow in warmer temerperatures and wouldn't get in the jar anyway so unless its left with the lid open in the sun and someone sneezes on it, there's not much chance of itt being infected