1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really hate working at Target

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ok455, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ok455

I'm a cart attendant. Worst position in the history of positions. My Supervisor reported me to the head up lady because i go to slow. They refuse to get a second person to help me out.

My training weeks there was me and another guy and we have the parking lot clean. And usually we would have nothing to do. Now since im by my self im always behind and they always want me to do 500 other jobs and about time i get them done the parking lot looks like a messy child's bedroom. And they get upset when i don't get carts in fast enough. what i hate is they wont have any cart people come from 8-1 so people come in and out and the lot is messy with carts and then they get mad at us because we go to slow.

My days are always mixed up so im not working the same hours everyday. Somedays im working from 1pm 5pm and other days from 9-5 and other days 5-10

I'm pretty much looking for another job and working here until someone calls me. I know i will get fire for being to slow.

Thanks for listening to my rant people

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, maybe you should find another job before they fire you. That way you won't have a tarnished work record.

3. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

BEing fired does look bad.At least your doing your job,and I know it's a pain working so many different hours.

4. ok455

Thanks for reading! When i got my interview there a guy went up to me and asked what position am i applying for i told him cart attendant. He said i wont like it and he was right.

Well i will be working 1pm-10 pm monday so i know i will be really behind

5. Kimi

Yeah...you can quit the job if you can. And when you find a new job tell the interviewer you left the job because you were interested doing other thing...other than cart attendant:grin:

6. justjoshoh

I was rooting for, actually I still am, but I was hoping that you would like your position at Target. Or at least, that the position wouldn't end up being like this. Being a cart attendant is one of the most under appreciated jobs in retail. If your position is anything like what mine was when I started in retail, and I think it is, not only are you responsible for the carts, but you have the privilege of doing the "dirty jobs" that no one else wants to do... I bet you are responsible for cleaning spills, doing trash, cleaning restrooms, etc. all in addition to your normal work.

It is a tough job, hang in there if you can and show that you are capable of doing hard work. Especially with the holiday season approaching, they will be looking to utilize their resources in other aspects. Perhaps, you will get a chance to move up to a stocker, register operator, department worker, etc. They will be looking to fill all sorts of positions for additional staffing probably within the next period, so hang in there and let them know that you are interested in progressing in the company. So that you are dedicated and that you are motivated to take on additional responsibilities.

One of the things that most people do is fail to ask how they might improve. Have you tried to get the information from your manager how they believe that you could be more productive? Retail managers really aren't out to see people fail. It honestly takes too many labor hours and the costs of hiring are too great to hire someone just to watch them fail. I suggest that you politely ask your manager to go over your work performance and be open to suggestions for areas which you can improve. Maybe they will be able to see a step in your work method that is slowing you down. Maybe they will be able to see that their demands are unrealistic.

The person closest to the problem is usually the one with the best answer. It seems that you are indicating that the job demands are unrealistic and that the use of additional labor could be utilized to maintain that standard. They may not be considering that until they take a look at your work method. The manager may have been a little myopic when writing the schedule. They have standards they must meet for labor hours. I casual, professional conversation might lead to some insight for each party.

Good luck with your endeavors.

7. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I used to work in retail myslf (3 hellish years at Kmart to be precise) & I have to agree with justjosh in saying your role is the most under-apprecaited position in the store.

I actually worked in a huge shopping centre complex, so the trolley-boys had to service ALL major stores that supplied trolleys, and ALL those stores demanded their trolleys have higher priority than the other stores. So as you can imagine, with such unrealistic expectations & constant pressure to be faster, alot of trolley boys quit.

It was pretty harsh as well to hear some of our own Kmart management talk crap about the trolley guys too. They'd say things like "They shouldn't be allowed to have lunch if they can't keep up with the demand", & "They're f*cking useless", things like that. They also yelled at them if they brought another store's trolleys for us to use. I used to think I'd like to see them (management) go out there and do the same job rain, hail or shine! But I definately understand what you mean by how unfair & unreasonable your bosses can be.

All I can suggest is to start looking for other jobs now. The sooner you look elsewhere, the sooner you can get away from them! In the meantime I hope things are ok.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Up until a couple years ago I worked front end for a major grocery chain. I was cross trained on cash and cart-attendant.

I actually didn't mind the early morning shift (0700-1300) or the late night shift (1900 - 0100). On those shifts the first or last couple hours are fairly slow and I could take care of some of the smaller jobs (like garbages, which I didn't mind that much). As well I'm a little antisocial, so fringe hours I would be the only one on, which meant I didn't have to make small talk with lazy, horny, (straight) 17 year old boys. Weekday daytimes generally weren't too bad, but I hated Saturdays from 0900-1700. Too busy.

Like everywhere else there never were enough carts. Do a round in the parking lot and pick up all of 3 carts, only to return to the store where the corrells are empty and the boss asking "Where are the carts?" To which I just replied either "In the store" or "within a 3 km radius" since there were a LOT of walkaways.

For the longest while I was mostly on cash (speedy at that) but one day the front end manager sent me outside because it was busy, and I was picking up major slack from the lazy people there so she generally kept me scheduled outside.

Things I hated about the job:
    -Saturdays
    -There was no summer dress. Just the same black pants and thick shirt required inside the store. No shorts no T-shirts. Which annoyed me because the garden center got that and they weren't doing manual labour. They also didn't want to give me a company ball cap and were a little annoyed when I wore my own. I wasn't going to stare at the sun.

-Some supervisors getting annoyed at taking water / cooldown breaks when it was really hot (30C+). I was seriously drinking like 3 litres a shift and not peeing.

-Most shift floor supervisors were women and don't truly understand the job.

-Expectation to be in the store answering pages, and keeping the parking lot empty at the same time

Fortunately I'm onto better things now, however I think having at least one crappy job (that isn't too unreasonably), and sticking with it for a while builds some character and gives you an appreciation for a real job.

9. abercrombieboi

wow targay.....yea i wouldnt work there, the discounts suck and so do their clothes, and my cousin worked there as cashier and said it sucked on ice...yea jus throwing that out there, i'd much more rather work at abercrombie or hollister

10. surfrboykai

brah, i work for slavegreens (what we employees call walgreens). we get yelled at if we talk to a co-worker. we get yelled at if we leave our "zones." and, our EXA (the dude underneath store manager) just took away our 15 minute breaks

11. SpikySpice

Ok it is Targay, i barely shop there, if you wanan be a cart attandant again, be sure to choos some small place, becuz Targay is a huge place with tons of customer everyday

Dont work under teh hot condition, becaus eit'llslow you down alot

And I think you should change yoru work at teh right tiem before people like you less than before and it'll be hard for you everyday working there

12. young92

is it that bad?
    i'm always hearing people complaining about how you should never work at targer.

13. ok455

I always hear complaints about target but i thought by mines being new it would be better. And i guess not Theres these little convenience stores in nj that are hiring so i put an application there and waiting for them

14. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Just a thought on the convience stores in New Jersey. My neighbor (when we lived up there) lived at home and commuted to Rutgers every day for school. She needed some extra cash so she got a job at a 7/11 near the campus. It turned out, however, that she was forced to be there by herself a lot. Anyway, someone robbed the store and raped her, and she got pregnant. I know it's a horror story, but just don't work at a store where you're going to be there by yourself.

15. ok455

Wow im sorry to hear that this store usually has 10 people working there at all times. Its called WaWa

16. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Hey I'm a north Jersey kid, we used to go to WaWa when we went down the shore!

17. ok455

I love there ice tea! I live in south jersey i hate it here!