1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you like to see added to EC?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Aug 26, 2006.

1. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you wanna close everything in a hurry, press ALT and F4 at the same. Well on a windows anyway. I would like to see a space under our names for what we prefer to be called on the forums and chatroom.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's on my to-do list, but I'm busy with other stuff currently.

No, HTML is too much of a security risk. It would be possible to embed stuff that could cause problems for users.

If you are using Firefox or IE7 just have something "safe" open in another tab and click that tab or close the EC tab in the event of an emergency.

3. MalibuGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    make it like nexopia or facebook.

4. Micah

In what ways?

5. Steam Giant

Heh, just had a thought that I thought I'd vocalize. I wanted to change my "gender" in my profile, but found myself unable to describe both my physical gender and accurate gender identity in just 20 characters, heh. I know adding more characters, if possible, wouldn't be such a good idea because of what it would do to the profile listed on the left of everyone's posts, as well as the fact that I personally don't really want to read a novel for what I could otherwise learn from a glance, but I do find it a bit humorous (again, this isn't a criticism!) that a GLBT forum has a restriction of 20 characters on the gender description! Heh, and to think that most forms restrict you to only one letter!

Edit: I think I recall a discussion at some point of adding a "gender identity" section to the profile, but I think I remember it being shut down. I know personally I'd get a little sick of seeing "gender: male, gender identity: male" lol. Additionally, someone who's not transgendered and/or doesn't know much about being transgendered would probably be confused by the selection.

#165 Steam Giant, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have increased the max length for user Gender, Orientation and Out Status to 50 characters each. Is that long enough? :wink:

Hopefully people won't fill them all out that long otherwise there would be a mass of text on the left!

We do need to stick with titles for the options that most people would understand. Otherwise we could confuse new members with questions and terms they haven't come across before. Hopefully with more room people will be able to explain themselves as necessary.

7. Steam Giant

Wow, thanks Paul! ^^ I'm sure a TON of people will thank you for increasing the Out Status character length! I remember struggling with what I could fit before ^^ having to crash two words into each other to fit them both, etc. I'll be sure not to use all 50 ^^ I just hope everyone else does the same!

8. Urman

Urman Guest

i can help u code with the bb codes and other mods if u want i mod my forum

9. miner4800

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    this is a great idea :grin:

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

You'd probably have to scroll up to it though, which would take a few seconds. If you're using Firefox or IE7 (or some other browser with tabs) you could have some other "safe" page open in another tab then in emergency close the EC tab so the other one appears.

11. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thats a good idea, I always have Itunes up, well I did when I wasnt out lol. But tabs is an easy way to cover up what you are doing online

12. Ty

Ty Guest

On a mac, whenever someone comes close to me i press "Apple + H" That command hides all windows related to that program, so its pretty useful and it does it immediately - also the programs hasn't been shut off.

13. JSG

JSG Guest

-Maybe some tests or quizzes that we could compare with each other. (Internet Addict?, TV Addict?, Sex Addict? Shy?, ...)
    -A column showing the most prolific user of the day/week/month, newest members.
    -Some sort of voting system. (I don't know what for yet, but people love voting for stuff)

I don't know if any of this has been posted (don't want to read 9 pages of text...)

14. Psych!

Psych! Guest

What about adding more, or updating the styles.

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We discussed styles a while ago and didn't come to any real conclusions. I will have a look over Christmas if I get time and suggest a few we could look at. It's more than just uploading them though as some of the stuff we have added here involves edits to the style templates, so whatever style we install will need to be modified to suit.

I will go through this thread over Christmas and see what suggestions can be implemented relatively easily.

I would like us to do more with the front page etc at www.emptyclosets.com so some suggestions for there would be good.

16. Steam Giant

Um, there's a feature of some other forums I've used that I was wondering if this one could duplicate...basically, in somebody's user profile, it says what percentage of their posts were made in what section of the forum. I really liked that, and was wondering if it's ever been considered for EC.

17. CrimsonThunder

I honestly think styles are a waste of time. Unless you just do one and dismiss the default template. As you said re-having to do edits is extremely annoying. Plus some mods might not work on a certain template.

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Personally I think having the generic style could be an advantage. Once you scroll up to lose the EC title off the top it looks just like any other forum, which if you're viewing on a shared computer or someone sees the screen doesn't give anything away. It also means if you are familiar with other forums using the vBulletin software you'll know your way around easily.

I would like to have a full-width option though (that resizes to the width of the browser), as this fixed narrow one is only about half the width of my screen.

Does anyone actually use the "Tech" style here (select it from the bottom left corner of the page), or shall I get rid of it? It is missing some of the changes already (such as the chatroom link and the extra info under the avatar) so it would need sorting out if it is to remain.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading long narrow columns is easier on the eyes, actually--they've done studies. It's one of the reasons newspapers and magazines use columns rather than the full page's width.

The first thing I do if someone is using full width for text is to narrow my browser window because it drives me batty!

20. Steam Giant

That is exactly what I used to do, and still do sometimes. At my old job I'd do that, I still do that at the library, and I used to do that when checking EC at the domicile of a friend I haven't come out to yet. This is why I'm in favor of the generic style.

Tech was neat-looking, and I liked it, but it was taking me way too long to get used to, so I stopped using it.