1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I feel shame?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PeachyGirl, Feb 28, 2022.

1. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations it is great that you managed to speak to him. I can imagine it was a tiring process but it is the first step to a better life.

2. Really

Well done! We’re rooting for you. :}

silverhalo likes this.
  3. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks people ☺
    So since he and I have been talking we've come to this sort of plan; we're going to see how things go into the lease ends (Sept.) And he is going to actually better himself and take care of himself. That's the goal. And I'm going to date women and do what I need to be happy, and figure out exactly what I want and need because I do still love him and I am still attracted to him. So we both feel a lot better with this plan so he certainly has motivation (trying to basically make it work with me) and I have the time and freedom to really dig into my needs. Without just feeling such a sense of impending doom. He's been extremely understanding so I feel way Moe comfortable talking honestly about stuff, I don't feel like my brain is on fire anymore.

He's very aware that he may end up moving out separately and it's like a relief that he's not totally freaking out, he reminded me he used to survive without me before we met and he'll be okay. But I feel like I can finally breathe and I'm not just bottling everything up and panicking.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  4. Really

Excellent progress. You’ve got this. :slight_smile:

5. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More confused still. I'm still attracted to him, I'm noticing I'm interested in sex when we have emotional conversations, which is not making this easy for sure. It feels like basically nothing has changed since we originally talked but it's only been less than a week so far, he has done some chores but that's about it... One of his old bff's passed away unexpectedly the other day so we tabled relationship talk for a few days.

It feels just comfortable still. We're gong to spend time together tonight. I still have the deep urge to be alone and live alone though. He said he feels like there's hope, if he didn't think there was hope for us he'd just be looking for his own place because he wouldn't want to stay here until the lease ends.

Why am I so afraid of making it a final end?? He's one of my best friends... This is so confusing and painful. But the thinking about being single and living alone makes me so happy. But also I love him and there are a lot or nice things about our relationship...

6. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this confusion. It seems to always be the way progress is made; one step forward, to steps back. But every now and then, that number is reversed--and while it still takes a long time, you do reach the conclusion that you need to.

Do you think the return of attraction to him is because he's making more of an effort? Is it possible you were losing feelings for him not because you aren't attracted to men, but because there wasn't a lot of mutual give and take? Conversely, it's also possible that you are lesbian and only experiencing these feelings out of guilt or uncertainty regarding the future, however positively you've been viewing it.

I wish I could answer definitively for you what you're experiencing, but sadly this is something you will have to work out. The good thing is, you've set a realistic goal regarding this; you still have several months to figure out what feelings, if any you have for him, and whether moving into your own place is something you truly want.

7. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He certainly is hoping it's just that he doesn't contribute and whatnot that's causing the issues, I definitely thinks that's part of it but I don't think it'll fix everything if he does better. And if I'm not with him I have no interest in men. Like I can see myself having casual sex with men periodically if I really need that but I'm not interested in dating men. I feel like I could do so much more if I was not in this relationship... I cannot imagine travelling with him, or going to family events, or just doing a ton of things... Everything is difficult. He's a difficult person. He has an 11yo son, and we have a puppy. I don't eat any of it anymore. I'm just exhausted.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a self-esteem thing. You fear losing what you have, and there's a part of you that fears not finding the right "someone else." It's awesome that you're looking forward to living alone, though. That's a huge step.

You're making very positive steps. Things won't change overnight but you're going in a good direction, it sounds like!

BiGemini87 likes this.
  9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to say something similar to Chip. I think often when we are in an unhappy situation we want to leave and thinking about the possibilities are exciting but in reality when it comes to ending it we get nervous. It has been your life for some time and that a lot of change. You have love for him even if it isn’t exactly the full package and so when you think you are leaving that the mind does funny things and makes you wonder if you will find someone else etc etc and that makes us wonder if we should stay put but that is rarely the answer. As the others have said you are making progress and I think deep down you know what you need.

10. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I know I can find another partner, but it's definitely like guilt and feelings... It'll be a lot harder for him to find a secure partner. He has a kid and a missing front tooth and if he moves out I'm not sure where he'll be living. His kid lives with his mom most of the time at least.

11. Really

Hey. His having a partner or not is not your responsibility. It’s not like he’s a pet that needs re-homing. He’s a full grown adult who is responsible for what happens next. I know it’s hard when you’ve been essentially taking care of him but he’s not your dependent. You are independent of each other and will be better off moving forward with this in mind. Even in the best relationships, one person taking responsibility for the other person is no way to do things. We are all autonomous beings.

Try not to feel guilty. You didn’t create his situation. And as such, you do not have to rectify anything.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Is. Not. Your. Problem.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  13. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thaaank you. I needed to hear that. You're right he not a pet, we do joke about him being my man-pet since I take care of him and he lives with me buuutttttt... So hard to stop feeling responsible for everything in his life. He's an individual person and I should give him more credit than I do really.

14. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on telling him that was a huge step !

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its hard, you've looked after him for so long you dont just stop caring when you tell him that it is over. You just have to make sure that those feelings dont affect your decision or stop you following what is right for you.

16. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay we broke up. He really wanted a final decision last night so I did it. I feel relief and horrible, intense pain. He said he's going to move out as soon as he can because it's too hard living with me because he's still very in love with me.

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I’m sorry it hurts so much right now but it is going to get better and it is definitely better for you both long term. Be really kind to yourself. You have done so well to get to this point. We are all here for you.

18. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people