1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I feel shame?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PeachyGirl, Feb 28, 2022.

1. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've identified as bi since high school, I've never had much of an issue expressing that I'm very attracted to women (obviously certain people or environments I've felt less comfortable in), I was in a 2 year relationship with a woman who was also bi a long time ago. Now I'm engaged to my male partner who I've been with for 8 years and I'm 99.9% sure I'm a lesbian. And now I have all this shame and guilt - but why??

I've talked to my fiance about how I've been concerned I might be really gay and he's generally really supportive but he doesn't want to lose me. I'm so nervous about talking about it again because recently I said I as still attracted to him and stuff but I'm not really. I don't like this, I feel like I'm going to implode but I cannot deal with all this right now.

What's the shame all about?? I'm so frustrated. I hate feeling like this.

hopefulB likes this.
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC. It could be that the shame is related to the fact that identifying as a lesbian signals the end of your current relationship. Although having read your other thread I think regardless of your orientation that relationship has run its course and is over.
    Another thought I had is that perhaps you now feel some shame because identifying as a lesbian means saying goodbye to ever being in a relationship that parts of society deem as 'normal'.
    I think if you could break free of your current situation then you would be in a better place to clear your head and work through this.

3. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you in an open-ended engagement or is your wedding day planned?

I have been married to my wife for more than 10 years now. Since I'm bisexual, I thought I could hide my sexuality ( was correct) without any negative consequences (here I was incorrect in terms of my own mental well being). I am incredibly lucky that my wife accepted me and, in fact, we realized that we are both bi. We are happy together and want to stay monogamous.

By what you describe, it sounds like you cannot be happy without any hope of a relationship with another woman. It sounds like you would suffer in a straight-passing relationship. I don't think your man would want that for you. I can't give you advice, but I know that if you don't sort this out now, both of you are going to regret it.

4. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also, re-reading this post, it sounds like you are not confused and that you know what you want.

Jfra likes this.
  5. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We have no set date but he recently said he wants to get married before our 10 year anniversary, which is 1.5 years away.

We're actually poly and I'm dating a woman (she's also married to a man and open), but instead of satisfying my gayness it's made me realize that THAT'S what I need, and not men. It's actually put a lot into perspective. She randomly brought me flowers because she missed me, my fiance got me flowers once for my birthday out of the 8.5 years we've been together even though he knows I'd love it any time. Just doesn't think of it I guess. He finally has gone on some dates with women recently (he's pan and had only been seeing men) and I have zero jealousy over it. Like zero! The idea of him with another woman used to really bother me but not anymore.

Still too stressed about this but I know I've got to talk to him soon. It's just the beginning of the week so I don't want to mess myself up and not be able to work. I have a 3 day weekend coming up but I don't know if I can do it then, but it is the weekend without his son over so it would be a good time.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m sure there is never a perfect time and I am definitely guilty of putting off difficult conversations. I think you just have to keep in mind the clarity you have over what you actually want and how that makes you feel.

7. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I also realized he's been off his medication for about a week (he forgets to call his refill in like every month and runs out) sooooo that's also not great.

8. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are really so many possibilities here with respect to why you feel guilty and your sexuality. It's very likely that you know the reason, but just can't believe it yet?

First of all: your worries are real and need to be addressed. You deserve love, and you deserve to be happy. And so does your partner.

Here are some of my possibly wild guesses ...

Maybe you feel guilty because, no matter what your sexuality is, you do feel love, affection or indebtedness for this man, but the attraction has died or it was never there.

Maybe you feel bad because you want to have children, but being a lesbian wouldn't stand in the way of that.

Maybe you haven't come out to your family and this man is your last chance at a relationship that you can share with your family stress-free?

One unlikely scenario, if you really are bisexual and not lesbian, is that you just aren't really the type for marriage and don't want or need that step. Bisexual attraction can fluctuate and maybe you are just currently more interested in women, although that doesn't sound likely.

All questions of sexuality aside, it is always very hard to end a relationship that the other person wants to continue, but you will never do anyone any favors by suffering in order to delay something that is or might be inevitable.

Love and understanding,
    Jim

janer likes this.
  9. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right, I think I know I'm just constantly doubting myself. My family is no issue, my friends are no issue, work makes me a little nervous but they're very inclusive, absolutely do not want kids... It's really the guilt of ending a relationship. I think I've just been constantly putting his needs and feelings over mine for this entire time. He's been worried for ages that I'd leave him for a woman and I feel horrible that it's kind of happening.

janer likes this.
  10. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You sound like a very empathetic person who can really understand and feel the feelings of others. If that's the case, maybe you can also understand that his pain will only be greater if you wait a few years?

11. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep.. It all sucks. You're right.

12. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You need a hug and I'm sending you a virtual one right now.

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you have told him in the past you wouldn’t leave him for a woman? So now you feel like you are you feel bad because of your previous comments. The truth of the matter though is that even if you hadn’t realised that you are gay rather than bi you would still be well within your right to end the relationship. As Chip said in the other thread the relationship isn’t healthy so actually sexuality isn’t the only reason it’s not working it is just perhaps the straw that’s breaking the camels back so to speak.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said in the other thread, your fiancé (who isn't really a fiancé, but more of a leach) really could care less about anything other than you continuing to take care of him. So he'll say or do anything that will keep the gravy train flowing.

You already know where you stand. The issue is, your self-esteem is so far down the shitter that you aren't willing to look at your own needs, and are so wrapped up in caretaking for your fiancé that you aren't even considering what you want or need.

You know where you stand. And I think you probably also know the right thing to do. Now, it's just a matter of if you are ready to do that.

I would suggest making some calls and finding a social worker to help him. He clearly needs some assistance, but it isn't your responsibility to provide it.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  15. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks to Chip mentioning it, I've checked your other thread for further context, and I think it's safe to say that whether you're bi or a lesbian, this relationship with your fiance isn't going to work. That it's gone on for as long as it has says a lot (maybe about your perseverance more than any genuine love), but things can't remain as they are. It sounds like you've already emotionally checked out of the relationship, and the only reason you've been sticking around is out of a sense of obligation. No doubt your shame is connected to this, as you feel responsible for him and/or any emotional distress he's been dealing with. Perhaps it's also the belief that if the relationship crumbles, the failure is yours--but it isn't. Sometimes, things don't work out. Sometimes the person you're with isn't compatible; that isn't to say he's a bad person, but at the very least, he's not good for you personally.

It's important to understand you have nothing to be ashamed of. You've done everything in your power to make this relationship work, and it sounds to me like he's done very little. While it's normal for one person to pick up the slack now and again, it shouldn't be constant. But even if he was doing his part, if you truly are lesbian as you suspect, then there's really nothing keeping you with him outside of your own wants or sense of obligation. Some people can stay in opposite-sex partnerships despite being homosexual, but it's not a path for everyone--and if you want out, that's something you need to do for yourself.

I know this is scary, and ultimately whatever decision you make is yours. But whatever choice you make, don't let shame decide for you.

16. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I've definitely thought about whether it would work if he did everything right; I know it wouldn't. I really love women. Like a LOT. I'm hoping it won't be like shocking to him since we've been talking about this periodically over the last year... And very recently.

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing to know is he will likely pull out every stop to convince you to stay, and this includes guilt, shame, begging, anger, crying... whatever he can possibly use to manipulate you into staying. Just be prepared for this in advance.

You owe him kindness, and maybe 45 days to get things together, but not anything else. You can help him by providing phone numbers or websites where he can fid help for housing or social services or whatever he needs, but the sooner you make things clear, set clear boundaries, and prepare yourself to move on, the sooner he will begin to find his own solution. This will actually be better for him in the long run as well, not just for you.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  18. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did it. I talked to him, I told him I'm really gay. He reacted better than I expected... He's absolutely devastated and definitely trying to figure out any way that we can still stay together, live together in a platonic way, date but live separately, just anything. I'm so exhausted. I started spinning off into panic attacks a few times but he helped me get back out of them. He's also asking a lot like why I can't just also still be with him but date women totally freely, and what's so wrong with him, and what exactly is it about women vs men that I need. I feel like shit. I might write out something for him to read since I'm bad at speaking when I'm so upset. He doesn't want to tell anyone yet (like his family, his son) because it's embarrassing and I know he's hoping I'll just change my mind. I love him so much but I know this can't continue... It's just all devastating and I know I can't flip-flop.

janer, BiGemini87 and ThxSens8 like this.
  19. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm happy for you, but sheesh, he's trying to cling on no matter what.

It sounds like you need some time apart because it's going to be hard setting boundaries with him as just a friend.

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, congratulations on getting the courage to tell him. I can imagine how difficult that would be.

His response is... pretty much exactly what I would have expected. He's not interested in giving up his gravy train, so he's going to say and do anything possible because he wants to keep things as they are. (He's also going through the stages of loss... denial-anger-bargaining-depression-acceptance), and it sounds like he's in the bargaining phase: "I know things are different, but they can still be the same."

So you can humor him for a day or two and then it might be best to write something out, basically say no, it isn't going to work, we can't stay together, we shouldn't be living in the same house, and we need to start planning our separate lives. You might even go so far as to say something like "In order for us to be able to remain friends, we have to be able to set boundaries and limits. And that won't be easy. But it's the only way that a friendship can work, by accepting that things are necessarily different." That opens the door to you setting new boundaries (which he won't like.)

BUt this is an absolutely awesome first step!

janer and BiGemini87 like this.