1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about wearing certain "tags" to hint at your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sguyc, Aug 10, 2012.

1. sguyc

I don't have very many qualities that would serve as tells that I am gay. And I hate having to find ways to make it known through conversation (plus I am still not very comfortable talking about my sexuality with people, despite being out to a lot of people). So I have been thinking of getting a bracelet or necklace of some kind that is lgbt related that could help break the ice a little easier or at least make me stand out from the hoards of straight guys that wouldn't normally wear thing like that.

Has anyone else done something like this and did you like the outcome?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear a rainbow/pride ring, and I've found that while it will occasionally draw some reactions from people (mostly positive - compliments, and the like - though occasionally an abrupt end to a conversation once the other person notices it), it won't act as an icebreaker on its own. For that matter, I can't say that I've ever decided to talk to a guy after noticing he had a rainbow ring/pin/shirt/etc., all other things being equal.

I think the biggest reason to wear one is to get comfortable with the idea of being visibly "out" - whatever others may notice about it, in the beginning at least, you'll be conscious of it 24/7, and it will probably make you more comfortable with being yourself. And that, whatever else may happen, is definitely worth it. But then again, who knows - it might break the ice with a person or two.

So while it might not draw crowds, I'm pretty happy I started wearing my "tag". :slight_smile:

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't wear things on a regular basis - I don't even wear a watch - but I have an Equality 2000 pin with rainbow colours which I wear if I'm wearing a jacket or heavy sweater. If I'm wearing just a shirt or T-shirt, I don't bother as it's too heavy and just droops.

It also depends on the occasion but, as Gravity said, I don't find it leads to conversations I wouldn't have had without it. :smilewave

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! I just ordered a nice small rainbow bracelet yesterday to "put myself out there" a bit more. I think it might be a little difficult at first since I'll think everyone is looking at it, but I should get over it in a few days.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I hate to break it to you, but in my experience, if you don't have many qualities that make it evident that you're gay, anything you do that only "hints" at it won't get the message across to many people. I wear a rainbow pin on my messenger bag, I have a rainbow necklace I wear quite a bit, and I even have a shirt that says, "I HEART CHUBBY BEARDED GUYS" that I've worn quite a bit, and I still surprise people when I tell them. Hell, I once had to come out to someone while wearing the I HEART CHUBBY BEARDED GUYS shirt and standing right in front of him where he could read it!

Point being, Gravity put it best: it might break the ice with one or two people, but the value of pride gear is in bolstering your own comfort with your identity, not in getting other people to notice.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ Yep, pretty much that.

I bought myself a ring to sort of have a tangible thing that I could look at and know that I was gay and that it was okay. A bit weird, but it worked. Like everyone said though, most people either don't notice or don't know how to bring it up. Even if the other person is gay.

And while wearing a "tag" won't draw tons of gay people towards you, I say go for it. It feels really good to feel like you are putting yourself out there. After a while you aren't even going to think about it!

The best way that I have figured out to "come out" is to act like everyone already knows. Honestly, just act like there is no one to come out to anymore and that everyone just knows and doesn't care. That way you aren't worrying about when they find out, if they find out and how. Makes life simple :slight_smile:

7. tom100

Jings, I guess I've been so far in the closet for so long, I didn't even know about the rainbow pride colours and jewelry! Some of the pendants are really cool and understated. Seems like not many non-gay people pick up on the significance, so you could have some fun with this.

But, yeah, I can see how it would bolster ones sense of self acceptance by just wearing something like that. Wonder what the wife would say though...?

8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I have to agree with everybody else on saying that wearing rainbow colours or pride "tags" it doesn't really strike up any new conversations. Maybe I haven't been wearing mine long enough, or not very visible, I have a rainbow anklet that I like to wear all the time. I have gotten a few comments on it but that's it.

I wear mine because it helps me to be more comfortable with being gay, I'm showing people I'm proud of being gay without actually coming out about it.

9. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think about it, like getting a necklace or bracelet, I think I might.

10. redstormrising

i have athletic tube socks with rainbow stripes at the top, which i wear with a skirt sometimes. i've gotten tons of compliments on them every time i wear them, though i don't think anyone seems to register them as a sign of being gay. i'm really feminine looking, even my girlfriend's family said they wouldn't have figured me to be gay lol

11. Given To Fly

That really makes sense. I've come out to my two best friends, who are probably among the most important people in my life. No-one else really matters, apart from my adoptive family who I'm not sure I want to know,yet. Then there are a handful of people who I would rather tell myself that have them wondering, or hearing rumours.

Back to the topic at hand, I've just ordered a really cool pendant, as others have said more to have some tangible that I can look at on those days which I am sure will come when I am experiencing self-doubt :slight_smile:

12. aeva

I totally agree. I'm out to pretty much everybody (there are a select few people that I choose to keep in the dark because of their feelings on the matter), so really the only people that don't know are people I'm just meeting/getting to know. It's bound to come up in conversation eventually, so I just let it happen naturally. I don't censor myself unless there's an obvious reason to, for the sake of my safety. If they need to backtrack for a second and adjust to the idea of me being gay, or ask a question (or thirty), that's totally fine by me.

I do have a rainbow bracelet that I made that I love wearing though. I think 'tags' are useful if somebody is trying to figure out whether or not you're gay, but I don't think it really tips people off unless they're looking for a sign. I always smile when I see somebody else wearing pride jewelry, or an hrc bumper sticker on the car in front of me though. It's like a friendly little wave!

13. qboy

14. IllusiveRannoch

if you mean like those 'i <3 boobies' breast cancer awareness bracelets i see alot of people wear, then i can see how it might give a clue. i don't think it would hurt.

i noticed alot of straight guys wearing them. but i've got to wonder if there's bracelets about testicular cancer awareness. i can imagine the reactions of people who'd see that :badgrin:

15. sguyc

Well ok, the problem with acting like everyone all ready knows is that I pretty much act the same as I did when I was in the closet. Sure, I can bring up lgbt topics here and there if they are relevent to the conversation, but I still feel more comfortable talking about hot girls than I do guys, which is pretty stupid. I don't naturally say/do things that let people know about my orientation, if I do anything it feels forced.

16. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I have to agree with Owen and TheEdend.

Those bracelets, pins, whatevers, serve more to cement your own confidence in being yourself than to simply convey a message.

Yes, publicly displaying those things can serve as your "coming out party". But really, the fact that you're considering doing it is characteristic of your pride in this regard.

There are often 3 degrees of coming out. One to accept it and be comfortable with it yourself. Second to be comfortable with your close friends and family knowing. And finally being confident in who you are that you don't mind the world knowing, because who you are as a person (and by that I mean all of you, not just your sexual orientation) is as wholesome and as good as anybody else who strives to do good and get more out of life.

So, wearing the symbols of LGBTQ or not, it isn't relevant anymore. I think. If your purpose is just putting yourself out there, then you'll charm those who are meant to be charmed by you regardless whether they know you're gay or not.

17. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've wanted to wear something that shows my pride for so long, but the trouble with that is, I can't find anything. I'd like one of those silicone bracelets with the bisexual colours on them, or a dog tag with pride written on it. Or both.

But finding them seems nearly impossible. I can't say I've seen anybody with such items before, so wearing them myself probably won't draw much attention in itself, but could make for a good ice breaker if someone happens to notice it, i.e. gets close enough to see it...

In the meantime, I just go with the flow and right now I don't care if the world knows about my sexuality, I'm just being myself, living life and enjoying it to the max :slight_smile:

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if you to then do it. It' no different then people the wear the yellow (support the troops) ribbons. Or people that wear their team logo.

I once had a shirt that said I'm gay. Deal with it or f:***:k off.