1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revive, May 12, 2020.

1. Loves books

Goddess of Troy by P.C Cast. I’ve read it several times before but I enjoy rereading books. It’s nice to have a new twist on old stories.

2. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

I’m reading “ Olive, Mabel and me” life and adventures with two very good dogs. By Andrew Cotter.

3. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

4. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Today I finished Pride & Prejudice. I feel empty. I really wanted it to be more. :frowning2: Loved everything about it. Couldn't believe it was written 200 years ago!
    Now I can watch the BBC series also.

The language was very difficult for me. Jane Austen's sentences were too complex. It was my first Jane Austen's novel. Happy that there are several other books from her. But also afraid of the difficulty of the language.

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you also feel bad after finishing your favourite novels? What to do about it? :confounded:

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Pride and Prejudice. The BBC adaptation is good. The adaption of Death comes to Pemberley is good too. I’ve watched both more than once.

I meant to add...I’ve known people with English as their first language struggle with reading Austen, so you’re not alone.

Which are you going to read next? I really like Persuasion.

#106 LostInDaydreams, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually waited and read some other books to make my English a bit better. Because I wanted to understand her novels better. But it was surprisingly difficult. :slight_smile:) The previous books were fairly simple.

So happy to know it was not just me.

I only had watched the Sense and Sensibility movie and had read nothing. Don't know what's the next. Probably tend to read all of her famous works in order of writing to see the writer's gradual development.

In my experience I think Austen has a good skill (so cruel) to make the reader impatient and then bring the story to its climax (multiple climaxes in one novel) which always bring tears in my eyes.

What's special about Persuasion for you?

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s a good way to approach them. I’m not sure which I order I read them in.

To me, Persuasion feels more real and heartfelt. I love Pride and Prejudice, but it feels more like a fairy tale in comparison.

9. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Madness: A Bipolar Life by Marya Hornbacher.

10. Night Rain

I've been reading 48 Hours a Day. It's actually quite good, only second to Lord of the Mysteries IMO.

11. Minnie03

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Currently about halfway through a re-read of Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett. I needed something light some I'm revisiting some of the earlier Discworld books.

12. Paul101

Paul101 Guest

I loved Moving Pictures, I remember the climatic battle being great. Love Discworld and would love to live there, although I imagine it being quite scary. :fearful:

13. Paul101

Paul101 Guest

I'm currently reading The Fisherman - A Novel by John Langan

It's about two recently widowed men who find companionship through fishing, but also uncover a dark secret. Strong sense a mystery and suspense, and written as two stories in one. A real page turner.

Published by Word Horde

14. Minnie03

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually don't remember what happens in it now, apart from the thousand elephants, haha!

I'm thinking of re-reading Reaper Man or Soul Music after this one, I'll see what I'm in the mood for.

15. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Center of Winter by Marya Hornbacher.

16. Paul101

Paul101 Guest

Reaper Man is good, I don't remember much about Soul Music. The one that always stuck with me, which surprised me when I realised , was Going Postal. I really loved that one. Which one would you recommend to someone who hasn't read any of the discworld series?

Paul x

17. TumblnDice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has anyone ever read House Of Leaves? I'm an avid reader and thought I could get through it, but I have not. It is unbelievably difficult to read.

18. Mysticsnow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't felt like reading much I have been too depressed to even want to read I did start a book but I haven't felt like finishing it, being depressed sucks I used to love to read I don't feel like reading much anymore and it sucks, I did read fault in our stars by john green it's a good book but sad also, I cried so much while reading towards the end of it.

19. Minnie03

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I liked Going Postal too actually. When I was younger, I was only able to get the new Discworld books from a local library because I didn't have the money to buy them for myself. Though I had read a few of the early books, I was mostly only able to find the newer ones back then, but I enjoyed reading the likes of Going Postal, Thud, Wintersmith, etc, around that kind of time.

For someone who hasn't read any of the Discworld series, I usually try to explain about the different groups of characters, the Witches, the Watch, the Wizards, Death, etc, and then see which kind of story catches their interest. I think once you start somewhere and read a few, you can soon find yourself getting into the rest. It took me a long time to be able to read them all but it was worth the time.

20. Paul101

Paul101 Guest

Hi Minnie03 - Going Postal was the first one I read ,which I think is why it stuck with me although it's not my favourite. I loved the whole world and all the characters. I then went right back to the start and read the Color Of Magic then worked my way through the series. It's a great world to escape into, and when I met Death I think I develop a bit of a crush :blush: