1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Afraid Of?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spartan 117, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the spirit of the Halloween season, it’s time for another terrifying thread in which we ask:

:jack_o_lantern: What are you afraid of?

Do you have a phobia? An irrational fear of something? What makes the subject of your phobia so creepy? Whether it be spiders, being alone at night or even coming out to your friends and family, we want to know what sends shivers down your spine!

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had to chose one thing that I have an irrational fear of it would be bees and wasps! Every time I mention that someone says that bees don’t sting unless threatened but as a child I have been innocently stung by bees specifically, not even wasps! I can catch them in a glass to remove them from the house but I’m not happy about it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On a more serious note, I do get some anxiety particularly about feeling ill in a public space. I haven’t got the best health and I have been in that situation before- but each time I’ve handled it. Somehow the anxiety is worse than the actual event! And of course nobody feels particularly well when they’re anxious so it’s somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy!

3. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my fears is crowds, even if they're people I know and I'm even the slightest center of attention I freak out. Around a crowd I don't know it can become mentally crippling, really pisses me off.

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh no! I think that’s quite a common one actually! A lot of people find crowds overwhelming!

5. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m someone who typically stays up late, but I don’t like total darkness without some form of light. Not being able to see everything that’s around you freaks me out.

#5 caden0803, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  6. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sleeping alone. Snakes.
    Social situations.

7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m not overly keen on wasps or bees either, but I try to remain calm for the sake of my daughter. Same with spiders, I try not to pass my fear on.

What does scare me is being put on the spot in front of other people, so things like audience participation at shows, pantomimes, etc. or even at staff training days with colleagues that I know reasonably well. I’m fine with public speaking, because I deliver training sessions myself, so it’s more that I don’t like not knowing what’s coming or what I’m going to be asked to do.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tight and dark spaces. I have claustrophobia and I get panic attacks, when in a place like that. I also have a fear of clowns. I don't even know how it began. And scared of heights as well.

9. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like getting separated in a crowd. Daydreamed a lot as a kid,.so it happened often. My family always came looking for me but it is still more scary than it should be when this happens as an adult.

Cockroaches. My science teacher in 6th grade had Madagascar hissing cockroaches. Some of the kids would take them out and play with them *shudders*. One day, she's like "I'm missing one". 10 minutes later I feel a frigging tickle in my shirt. Look down and this roach is on my chest! Tore off my shirt, roach went with it. Ran as fast as I could outta there, screaming and crying. I had almost made it out the main doors when the vice principal came out her office and caught me. Hate cockroaches.

10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Peas. I find it difficult to even look at them. Always have done, from a very early age. They're malevolent spherical globules of evil. And they smell disgusting.

Other than that...runaway climate change and the end of the human life on Earth. But like most people, that's so scary I try not to think about it.

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, the world is a scary place at the moment. It’s hard to read the news sometimes.

12. Shoun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Many types of personal interaction including making phone calls

14. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pft, me? Nah. I'm fearless. :grin:

OK so maybe that's a lie. :sweat_smile:

I have a phobia of dolls. They creep me out. I especially hate it when I go to public toilets and they have those small dolls with the big dresses that sit on top of toilet rolls (less common these days but I see them sometimes). Their unblinking eyes are a big ol' nope from me, I have to turn them around or throw them out into the corridor because I feel watched. It's irrational, but I hate them. Especially realistic dolls that look like toddlers, their limp bodies and dead eyes make my skin crawl. One time when I was a kid, this girl handed me one of those toddler looking dolls asking me to "watch over him" and I practically threw it halfway across the room as soon as it touched my hand. I visited a mansion once with quite a few porcelain dolls (which I was not expecting) and I had to be led out with my eyes closed whilst in a state of absolute discomfort. I had nightmares for weeks.

There was even a light inside the head of a baby statue being used as a lampshade, I believe it was supposed to be a cherub, BUT WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?! :fearful:

Anyway, I am also claustrophobic. It's pretty bad. To the point where if there's a table, I often need to be at the end. If I'm sandwiched between people, I am immensely uncomfortable. There have been times where it's even triggered flashbacks of traumatic events, this happened at my Grandma's house once and I had to push my way out and run into the bedroom to lie on the bed to recover. It's like being doused in hot water and insects are crawling all over my skin. Which, I know is being dramatic, but it's one of the worst feelings.

Sometimes people find it amusing to get real close to me and see me flinch. My claustrophobia used to extend to a fear of touch (such as hugs) and when I was at my absolute worst I used to go into a blind panic and punch people in the arm or knee them if they unexpectedly hugged me. However, I trained myself not to do that and these days I don't panic but it's more of a general discomfort.

The ironic thing is I actually really like hugs. I think that hugs from people I can trust and feel safe around are the absolute best. Hugs from strangers are horrible though. I know that I'm truly comfortable around a person if I can hug them and it's an enjoyable experience. Missing hugs during lockdown was definitely a confusing experience for me. I think if I ever ended up in a relationship, I'd probably be fairly physically affectionate, I seem to be drawn to people who are physically affectionate. Definitely confusing.

#14 Canterpiece, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  15. BTSARMY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  16. AndroCat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Time. A few years ago I suddenly realized that everyone I know (include me) would die.
    And Mantis, those little monsters looks scary.

17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a scary realisation and time seems to travel so fast too.

18. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm afraid of death, especially, if it affected my loved ones. Additionally, I'm afraid of living. I know it's paradoxical, but I'm full of contradictions.

19. BonaDrag

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it was the great Walt Whitman who said in his poem: "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself! I am large, I contain multitudes!"

I too am afraid of dying (maybe not death, but definitely dying) and life. I'm also afraid of being alone forever and getting too close to people! Life is strange :grin:

20. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess that being contradictory with oneself must be a common feeling, then, haha.

For me it's the fact of stop existing which is scary, even though I believe (or I want to believe) that death doesn't entail the end of existence.

Also, I identify with your last statement about loneliness and getting close to people, xD.