1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turns out one of my closest friends is transphobic.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SyIveon, Jan 4, 2023.

1. SyIveon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm on the process of coming out to as many people as possible, and my friends are really accepting. Only one really... turns out to hate people like me, well, sort of.

Let's call this person Fred. Fred believes everything his parents tell him, and is a fevourent christian. Now, Fred and I have been close friends for four years, and one of Fred's somewhat annoying qualities is that they are always truthful, and always try to help peopleeven if they do not want/need help

I tell Fred that, simply put, I am trans and identify as female. Freds reply, in the exact words, were "I hope you get better soon." After I explane this is what I have been for years, and what is right for me. And what does Fred say? "Then you're a sinner, so you'll burn in hell."

I have no idea what to do. I'm currently just ignoring him, but this could be how my parents find out, and I want to keep that a secret a little longer.

-Sylveon

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to the EC! :slight_smile:

I think my situation was bit similar. I came out to my best friend as trasngender and she seemed to accept it at first, but really wasn't supportive and she misgendered me so much to the point, where I threathened her that I stop being friends with her. She haven't misgendered me since, but still isn't supportive, she just accepts. I don't talk to her a lot about this subject. I guess our friendship is important to her and she don't wish for it to end. If that friend of yours is really your close friend, then they accept and don't tell your family, otherwise you don't need non supportive friends. As cruel as it may sound. You deserve better. Hugs.

SyIveon likes this.
  3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a friend like this, except both of us wanted to be more than friends at the time. I don't know how to come out to him as trans. I came out to him as bisexual a long time ago (for me at least), getting closer to four years now I think. He was not accepting, in fact he said, "I don't agree with it, but ok." This turned into an argument at a later time. Long story short we didn't date, and I figured out I'm trans. I still haven't told him for fear of what he'll say. He is a staunch Christian, and already didn't accept me (albeit my sexual orientation, rather than gender). I'm kind of glad in a way, we should not be together lol.

Your friend could come around eventually, but I'll be honest, that sounds unlikely to me. He thinks being trans is a mental illness and a sin according to what he's said to you. That's a hard mindset to undo, especially when you're so entrenched in it. I would know, I had to kind of undo it on myself a bit and still deal with my parents (who are more than entrenched in it).

I know that really hurts and I'm sorry you know that pain. I want you to remember that people do love and accept you for who you are, including me. However, you may need to talk to him to ask him to give you time to figure out how to come out to your parents. That way it doesn't slip out, he doesn't have to lie to keep a secret.

Ushiromiya Red and SyIveon like this.
  4. SyIveon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks <3. I know I could probably tell my parents, as their friends with quite a few lgbt+ people, but it's always a struggle, given family often have waaay different. Though, again, thanks for the support!

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone has a choice whether to choose intolerance or not, and I am sorry Fred chose intolerance. Don’t let Fred hide behind his upbringing. I liked this quote: “You are personally responsible for becoming more ethical than the society you grew up in.” That applies to Fred. I suggest limiting your time with him and other openly hostile people. He chose to be a conditional friend, so he needs to do the work to get educated about trans people and apologize for his harsh judgment.

Also, try working to build new friendships with fully accepting people. I didn’t feel comfortable coming out to family, so I started with friends and now try to only make friends with people who explicitly support LGBT+ rights.

#5 resu, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  6. SyIveon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for all your support and advice. <3

7. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Always hurts when you're shunned, especially by someone who you thought had your back. But in a way he did you a favor by being so blunt. Now you can move on, if you choose to.

Ushiromiya Red likes this.
  8. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry you had to go through that just got rid of a friend like fred didn't accept me because im Bisexual and wanted me and him to pray together to fix me and my struggles with same sex attraction.

9. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh dear. Well, that's the end of that friendship..:disappointed:

As you grow older and grow as a person you'll discover that it's impossible to remain friends with a lot of people. People change. People move on (both geographically and as individuals). Having a gradual churn of friends is completely natural, and actually quite healthy (who wants to have the same friends at 35 as you had at 15?). So, Fred was a good person to be around for those four years and now he's not. C'est la vie.

What's more important is that you have a support network of good friends who accept you for being you, ie a trans girl.

Beth x

Ushiromiya Red and TinyWerewolf like this.
  10. mlansing

Is this person a good friend? I don’t think a truly good friend would say that, regardless of how strong the religious conviction might be. If you are not that close, I would say take this as your cue to create distance from this person. If the person is a good friend, sometimes people just need time to process, but a bit of space would probably be wise in this case as well.

11. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last year, awhile back I tried catching up with somebody I thought was kind of a friend online. I told them that I went by he/his pronouns and that I was trans. And they said some rather nasty similar things that "I was gross and how could I be against the body God gave me or some bullcrap like that." Honestly, it shook me up a little bit...these people that claim to love thy neighbor through their "religion" would no sooner throw you to the wolves.

While your "friend" doesn't sound exactly like the person who spat hate back in my face....just for telling them I was trans....it still sounds eerily similar. I personally had to report and block this person to keep my sanity on the website we're on. You may have to stop being friends with this person if he clearly is not going to respect you for who you are..

Being transgender isn't a mental disease nor a choice. However, being a hateful af bigot is...I personally wouldn't want to be around someone like that who's going to make me feel like crap just for trying to be happier in my life. you don't need that kind of toxicity around. but ultimately it's up to you. You deserve friends IRL or online that respect you and accept you for who you are.

#11 Ushiromiya Red, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    chicodeoro and mlansing like this.
  12. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope your doing ok