1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Mixed Orientation Relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by golfer11, Aug 26, 2022.

1. golfer11

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First off, I want to thank this community as it has immensely helped me in the past week as I've struggled to come to terms that I am most likely gay (maybe Bi). I came to the realization of this earlier this week after reading countless threads about sexual orientation.

I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend (first ever) for around 6 months so far. I care for her deeply, more so than anyone else in my life right now. I don't know if it's an emotional love; maybe. Although we are intimate, I've struggled with sex, and have come to terms that I'm not sexually attracted to her - or any woman for that matter - to be able to have penetrative sex (without doing mental gymnastics). She is coincidentally working through her own issues with her vagina and actually can't have vaginal sex right now anyway. So I am fulfilling her sexual needs in other ways. Mine are being emotionally met, but not sexually.

She has recently told me that she loves me. I plan on coming out to her very soon. Honestly, I don't want to end the relationship. But at the same time I know I will never be able to reciprocate that same level of emotional and sexual love back to her. I have a feeling that she will want to continue the relationship (she has abandonment and other mental health issues, also).

In the future, I had always imagined myself having a family and children of my own with a wife that I loved. I selfishly do not want to raise a child that is not biologically my own, and I could see a future with her and this. I truly enjoy her feminine side and I'm a believer that kids thrive in a 2 parent household that has both masculine and feminine dynamics between a man and woman. But I know down the road I will need to fulfill myself sexually with men. Even if she is hypothetically ok with this, is this type of relationship doomed to fail? Will she come to be unhappy that I can't love her fully in the same way she loves me and later come to resent me for this?

Are there any examples of mixed orientation relationships actually working out long term? I believe that I could have a happy life and children with this woman, only if I am able to fulfill my sexual needs elsewhere. I want her to be fully happy also, but is that truly possible in a dynamic such as this? Am I just clinging to the last hope of having biological children with a woman I love, but am not sexually attracted to?

Any advice would be appreciated, and any personal experiences with these types of mixed orientation relationships long-term would be helpful.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    golfer.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary!

*****I hesitated about this part of the post. I am in a mixed orientation marriage and have been for 44 years. However, (you knew there had to be a however) it has been because I turned my back on my true sexuality after the death of my boyfriend/fwb/lover/soulmate when I was in my early twenties. I then went through many years of denial, self-hate and depression that I would not wish on anybody. I finally accepted that I am and always have been gay at the age of 64 in 2014. I understand the wish for biological children...I felt the same way. I have three sons and grand children. In the end it has worked out for me, but the price was very high...almost my life. This is a decision that may involve more than just you. If it does, the other person should be able to go in the relationship with full knowledge and agreement. Please consider this very carefully.

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can post a question on my Profile Page or send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

BiGemini87 likes this.
  3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back when I was in college, eons ago, I thought that I wanted that whole 1950's kind of fantasy with 2.5 kids and the house in the suburbs. Same sex marriage or adoption weren't on the radar yet, so I thought that heterosexual marriage was my only option. I ended up denying part of myself and married my girlfriend thinking that it would be enough since I did love her ( I think I was confusing a very close friendship for love). I paid a very steep price for that decision with depression and anxiety for most of my life, not to mention the extreme and almost deadly toll it took on my health. Probably not the answer you hoped to hear, but it is probably the one you need to hear.

Isbjorn likes this.
  4. golfer11

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When you say it worked out for you, are you only referring to the fact that you were able to have biological children, or that you also had a happy and successful partnership with another woman? If that is the case, what did those dynamics look like exactly (another guy on the side?) and what kind of strain did that put on everybody?

This exactly how I feel right now, about the very close friendship / possibly love? I have never experienced love, but deep down I know this is not fully it, and that really bothers me. I told my girlfriend last night everything and she thought I was breaking up with her at first, but I expressed my desire to be with her and have a future with her, and wanted to see if this was possible to work out, even though I might not love her back in the same way that she loves me.

This morning she said she wanted to choose me, but I could tell through our talks the night before that she's not the kind of person that would truly be comfortable with me going to see another man potentially on the side. And to be honest, I don't blame her. I think her heart is also saying those words and not her mind, because she still loves me and wants this to just be a dream.

I felt guilty even saying those words...If I can't ever truly love her the way that she does me, I would feel terrible about myself and what that would be doing to her. And how could she ever be truly happy either, knowing that I didn't fully reciprocate her love?

It just seems unfair, and I'm really struggling here. This has been the hardest week of my life and I'm having a serious identity crisis. The life that I always wanted and thought I deserved has been ripped away from me, and even if this somehow could work out, it would never be the same and neither of us would be able to have complete happiness with the situation. It's like I would be settling. I've tried to think of it in these terms: would I still want to stay with her if neither of us wanted to have kids? I don't know, but probably not. I'm still holding on to this idea of a heterosexual lifestyle that I've always dreamed of and strived for in my life, and to suddenly come to the implications is heartbreaking.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    golfer11.....It's hard to answer your question without telling you my story. It's not exactly straight forward as you may have assumed. I'm sorry it's a bit long, but if you read it, everything will make much more sense.

I knew when I was young that I was different than the other boys. I liked watching boys play basketball a lot more than I liked basketball! :old_smile: That was especially true in the Summer at the elementary school playground during "pickup" games where one team was "shirts" and the other team had to be "skins"! :old_big_grin: However, I didn't really know what the difference was until I got to college and met new friends.

It was 1968 when I started college, but very soon I was out. While there I was "with" a lot of different guys, but for a while no one was special in any way. Then I met Tim and over a period of two years we became friends, friends with benefits, best friends, boyfriends. lovers and then just plain inseparable. Had it been today and not 1970, we would have been married. Towards the end of that two years, Tim got sick. It kept getting worse so I finally drove him two hours home to his parent's house. I was still going to school, so I would go to him on Friday afternoon and stay there until Sunday afternoon. Neither he or I were out to his parents. This went on for a couple of months with him not improving. Then one Friday, when I got to his house, his parents met me at the door and wouldn't let me in. I can still remember their exact words: "Get your fagot ass off of our property". I guess they had found out that Tim and I were more than just friends. It was a long trip back to college. I never saw Tim again. A little less than a month later a postcard informed me that Tim had passed away. His parents said that He had made them promise to tell me. I was not allowed to go to the funeral and didn't even know where he was buried. I was devastated and turned my back on just about everything in my life at that time. After Tim and what happened I could never be with a boy again...or even think of it. The pain was so great that I shut that part of my life away. Over a few years I actually repressed the memory until I didn't remember being out and I didn't remember Tim. I eventually met a girl that I thought I could live with and married her. For some reason sex with her was always difficult and awkward. I did want children so I managed. I know now that I have never sexually loved her...I do emotionally love her and we have built a beautiful life, a family and are happy - our 44th Anniversary was July 1st. At least everyone thought we were happy...including her. Even before I met her I had started to be depressed. Over the years it grew and grew. I couldn't keep my eyes off guys. I told myself that I liked the way they dressed, the way they cut their hair, etc., but it just got worse. About fifteen years ago our society had gotten to the point where LGBTQ issues were in the news a lot and I could no longer completely ignore what I felt. My self-hate, shame and guilt were getting so bad that it was becoming harder and harder to hide it. I had some serious health issues that started at that time so I blamed everything on that and got away with it. At least I thought I did. By 2013 I was in a terrible mess. My health had made me retire from a job that I had held for 41 years, a job that I loved. I could no longer ignore the fact that I was gay. I felt completely trapped. I couldn't come out and destroy my family, I couldn't keep going the way I was...the pressure was too great. So, like a lot of LGBTQ people, I decided to take my life. On Christmas Day 2014 something happened that pushed me into a total crisis. That evening I sat at my desk looking at Empty Closets (I had stumbled on it a few days previously) and looking at a bottle of 90 Percocet pain pills. I decided to give EC one chance and made my first post begging for help. I gave it ten minutes as I didn't think I could wait any longer before taking the pills. Within just a minute or so I was greeted and welcomed and encouraged by the wonderful people here on EC. Because of empty closets I am here today. But the story doesn't end there. After a year on EC I finally met a therapist who helped me so much as I learned to accept myself and to love myself. About a year after that I started to have unusually vivid, sexual dreams about guys. My therapist and I pretty much ignored it until one night when I realized that they were not dreams, they were memories. Over a period of six months, everything that I had done sexually over the time from 17-22 years old gradually came back. I was not upset that I had done all of that as I now know it is normal, natural for me...but I was upset that I had managed to forget it all. Then I remembered Tim. At first it was exciting and it made me happy to know that we had been so close. Then I remembered what happened to him. Again I was devastated...but this time I was older and more mature and I had empty closets and my therapist, so I got through it. Now I can talk about Tim and I am so happy to be able to remember him...I'll never forget him again.

So why have I told you my life story?? Because I spent 42 years in hell denying who I was. Not accepting that I was gay. Hating myself and finally wishing I was dead and coming within a few minutes of committing suicide. That is what refusing to accept who you are can do to you. I understand that some people don't want to be gay...I've got that. Whether it's because you have grown up in a society that is so heteronormative that you are "programed" that way or whether you don't like what you see of the life style that some gay people live....or for what ever reason. All I ask of you is to love yourself and to accept who you are you however it turns out. Give yourself time to understand yourself, don't feel rushed to make any decision until it really does feel right and comfortable and good and who you really are. Then hold on to it and love yourself. Don't let yourself be tortured the way I was for so very many years.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag

Update: A member here on Empty Closets asked if I had a picture of Tim. I said no and they wondered if there might be a picture in a college yearbook from that time. I did some digging and found that the college (now university) had indeed put their yearbooks online and after some searching I found a picture of Tim!!!! I now have a memory and a picture of him!

golfer11 likes this.
  6. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @quebec has given you some in-depth, excellent insight already, given his first-hand experience, but hopefully my two cents will be of some help, too.

Firstly, I think it's important that your decision include your girlfriend having all of the facts: even if you want to try having an open relationship with her so that you can live the heterosexual lifestyle and still be fulfilled in a homosexual partnership, that isn't something you can decide on your own. Given your words about knowing you can't truly reciprocate, it's clear to me that you wouldn't be comfortable deceiving her. Because you know that like you, she has a right to decide her own course, to say what does and doesn't work for her in terms of this relationship. And supposing you'd opt to break up, it wouldn't be fair to do so without telling her why.

So first and foremost--you need to talk to her. You need to lay all the cards out, you need to give her time to process things and when she has, the ability to voice her feelings, wants, concerns, etc.

I know this can't be easy for you, and I commend you for giving it as much thought as you already have: it's clear to me that you care about her very much, and want to ensure she's happy too, whatever the outcome. Take your time, let yourself process what you're thinking and feeling, and when you're ready, sit down and talk with her. It's probably going to hurt one or both of you; she might exhibit anger or other signs of grieving--but as long as you do your best to be understanding and to keep the lines of communication open, you will hopefully either come to a compromise, or part on good terms.

golfer11 likes this.
  7. golfer11

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you Quebec for letting me hear your story, that means a lot. As well as your insight Gemini.

The previous couple of days have been the hardest of my life. I decided yesterday to breakup with my girlfriend, and I told her everything. I would not be able to live with myself knowing that I would never be able to sexually love her. It wouldn't be fair to either of us - she loves me so much but I can't reciprocate that. We would both be unfulfilled. Maybe we could live an ok, or a pretty good life together. But there would always be something missing. I want so badly to be able to love her in that same way, but I know that I will never be able to.

If this means I choose to not end up having biological kids in the future and not be able to be with a woman, I think I would be willing to give that up in hopes that I may be able to find love myself and get rid of this emptiness that has slowly been eating away at me for years. It's different for me in the sense that my innate denial and suppression were so strong that I literally never even would allow myself to consider I was gay or have those thoughts, up until a week ago. I never had those crushes on guys either or ever looked at them in a sexual, and definitely not romantic way. It's like I don't know who I am anymore. I suppose I have a lot of accepting to do in the future.

I really enjoy the feminine and emotional component women bring to a relationship; the masculine/feminine dynamic. I feel like I will never be able to have that with another guy, as there simply are fundamental differences between men and women. I'm having a hard time seeing how a successful relationship with 2 men (or with 2 women) plays out.

I have a follow up question I'll be making another thread about on this sub forum, now that I have broken up with her.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    golfer.....I understand that this is very difficult for you. These kinds of things...when we start to realize that our sexuality is perhaps not what we've always thought it was...are always tough. Some of us know that we are not straight very early and others, for some strange reason just don't understand those feelings and what they mean until later. For now, take your time and work on yourself. Learn more about yourself and how you feel. There is no hurry. Please keep us updated. Remember...you are a part of our LGBT Family and we do care!

BiGemini87 and Cinnamoon like this.
  9. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @golfer11 I'm so sorry; I know this must be incredibly hard for you, and for her. But if you can find solace anywhere, find it in knowing you made the right decision. You didn't want her to be stuck in a half-life with you, one where she wouldn't be able to receive the love, devotion, and physical intimacy she needs--and the same would have been true for you.

You're likely to feel awful for the next while, so take as much time as you need; let yourself grieve. It's okay to be sad, angry, and hurt that the vision in your mind (of a heterosexual relationship and family) won't come to be. It's entirely healthy to express these emotions, and to feel them for however long you need to. There is no time limit on grief, no set order in which to visit the stages (such as they are). Give yourself time to heal, and if that means solitude or only letting a few trusted individuals around you while you work through this, then so be it.

I'll offer what help I can in your other thread, as well. In the meantime, I know it may not feel like it, but you did the right thing--and for that, you deserve kindness, compassion and patience. Especially from yourself.