1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News This is how trans people are treated in Estonia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Rayland, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven’t seen anyone else on this forum beside me who is from Estonia, but I wanted to post this article, because maybe it’s interesting to read what trans have to go through in Estonia. It’s not an original aricle, because original article in the same webpage is in Estonian language, it’s still the same article, but just translated into English. I don’t know if translated articles are allowed or not.

https://feministeerium.ee/en/how-th...5QiH3ewM-MqAT_HIutfooHEMTVbrtgjPmbV_aWMSNVPJs

It’s about how the system is non transparent and how little information is available and about outdated procedures and how patients need to educate the doctors and so on. I hope you guys can open this article.

This article came out 7th July 2021, so it’s quite recent. It seems okay to post it here, but if it’s not okay, then I apologize.

2. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sucks. Forgive me, I do not know the requirements that well but I believe even the more accepting American states require one to see a psychologist before getting hormones or sexual reassignment surgery. But not a committee of government officials who are hostile to the idea. Why even work for that committee if you feel that way?

I can't say I know exactly how you feel and this is now a moot point thanks to the U.S. Supreme Court but I remember back when I watched not just the government but the people in my state vote against same-sex marriage. The fricking hot dog stand where me and my then boyfriend ate at often put a "no to gay marriage" sign out. I'm like, you see us here all the time and take our money with a smile but this is how you really feel, huh?

I'm sorry that this is the only option for trans people in Estonia. Could such a thing be challenged in your judicial system?

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have nothing to apologize for. This system indeed needs to be so much better and they are trying, but I don’t know how they are going to challenge this.

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    According to my knowledge in the USA (where I am from) it only takes one to get hormones but it takes two psych professionals in order to get confirmation surgery in California at least (I needed a therapist and a psychologist to get testes removal after over a decade of living as my true self)

It does seem that Estonia is not the best place to need to transition though really nowhere is ideal. Nowadays people everywhere seem to want to live according to western monotheistic ideas of sex and sexuality anymore thus hating anyone who is not heteronormative.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Estonia if you want to change your gender, then you first:
    - need to ask your family doctor to send you to take a genetics test with a wish to change your sex;
    -they will do all the genetics tests (family tree tracing, genetic informations that may affect you and so on);
    -blood test
    These things will later go to the hands of endocrinologist, before you need to wait to get your answers for a month
    -then later the endocrinologist may want you to take another blood test;
    -then you will get the hormones you need and you get a medical plan how to start. But only a plan is put in place.
    -then you need to contact social ministerium to even get to the commitee;
    -after committe you have to wait 1-1,5 months to get the premission to start regognizing your sex process
    -you can go to the endocrinologist again and now you can start hormone treatment
    If you want to change your name, sex and identification code, then you have to go see the committee again and then you can go to the place that changes them (I don’t know it’s name in English)
    You can have medical transiction after one year has passed
    And the committe itself is not coming together everytime either, you have to wait til the next meeting.
    It’s all complicated.