1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this bothers me bad... but am i a bad person?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jerr, Feb 9, 2007.

1. pirateninja

Old thread is verrrrrrrrry old :lol:

2. Meropspusillus

Sarah Silverman joked about "If we can send a man to the moon, then we can send a man with AIDS to the moon. And if we can send a man with AIDS to the moon, we can send everyone with AIDS to the moon." It was kinda funny as a joke, but I guess I sort of see where her joke stems from. Still, I think it should be pretty clear that there are giant ethical problems with quarantining everyone with HIV.

You have to realize, that AIDS is an epidemic, and everyone plagued by it is a person. Americans with AIDS have care readily available, or at least, much more readily available than Africans with AIDS. I'm not going to lecture you about how you should care about them. I personally believe the human race needs a good ol' pandemic (though I don't think AIDS is that pandemic, it needs to be aerobic) to put us back in our place. (Sorry, 6 billion is far too many people). Disclaimer: This is the pessimistic me, the optimistic me wants the human race to live happily ever after.

I think the most important thing that needs to happen in Africa is AIDS education (in America too). I'm sorry if anyone is very Catholic, but the Goddamn Pope just went around demonizing condoms. He might as well had gone to areas with high risk for AIDS and shot some people. Protection and education needs to be available. I'm not sure where I'm really going with this, but I have two pieces of advice.
    1.Wear condoms.
    2. Don't eat monkeys.

And I just realized this thread is a year old. Go me.

3. pirateninja

Two years old actually :grin:

4. AeonToy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this thread got really angry! it was kind of fascinating reading the responses.

and I think the estimates for maximum stable population is gonna be like 8-12 billion. From the UN. kind of cool huh?

as for this aids issue, we just need to educate! education lowers birth rates, increases quality of life, raises GDP, and the cycle continues. i thought the associations of standard of living with education was absolutely fascinating

5. Meropspusillus

I have a lot of trouble believing that, especially with things as they are now. 8-12 billion people could obviously not consume like Americans. (300 million people doing that is enough.) But it's still an awfully high number. There's nothing "cool" about the world being overpopulated and cutting down rainforests and causing mass extinctions. :tantrum: This is a very sensitive issue for me, so I tend to come across slightly angry and misanthropic. I apologize a little bit.

6. Riaan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's almost a given that the baby will contract the virus, without the use of ARV's, like nevirapine, by the mother. The baby in effect feeds of the mother during its development stage and a C- section alone will do little to reduce the risks.

7. Riaan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Count yourself lucky. With access to lifesaving drugs, having hiv is not necessarily a death sentence. When you contract hiv, the early stages of the virus present itself as flu-like symptoms like a sore throat, skin rash, swollen lymph glands, etc. Full blown AIDS is characterized by swollen lymph glands, diarrhea, rapid weight loss, fever, cough and shortness of breath.

8. Riaan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with the EC member on his view of the roman catholic church- they are responsible for innocent people contracting HIV because of their stance wrt condoms. Roman catholicism is spreading in Africa and by condemning the use of condoms, the pope is undoing all the progress that have been made this far. Just quickly my views on why HIV/AIDS is such a problem in Africa: 1) Ignorance about the virus. Conflicting statements by governments/NGO's doesn't help. A lovely example: Our previous president (god bless his idiotic soul) said in the media that HIV doesn't cause AIDS. oh really, then tell us what does- going down on a monkey? lol. Our second award goes to our previous minister of health (!) dr. beetroot. According to this genius if you have AIDS, you just have to eat alot of garlic (at least you will not spread the disease, since your sexlife would be non-existant!), sweet patato and lemons, and you are sorted. I kid you not. No wonder my country has one of the highest prevalence rates. To be continued.

9. Nixon

I'm not tocuhin' this with a 50 ft stick

P>S> Your wrong

10. sephuu

sephuu Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP needs to realize the disease is called HIV.

AIDS is the progression of the disease, so you cannot refer to every HIV victim as an AIDS victim.

11. Just Adam

i think meds should just be cheaper and health should be less money finacially focused so more can be sent my only problem with all this give money lot is i dont believe it goes to them i knwo there are a lot of curropt people in charitys liek any walk of life but all the millions that are given every year seems to make no difference over here we give massive ammounts of needed money a year and yet what do they show they get with it a little school that i swear thats build from rubble and mud :S

i care i jsut have little faith in the goodness of humanity

12. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Erm can I just say that HIV/AIDS can be passed through body fluids (e.g) Blood,Sex. One of the problems they have in poor places such as Africa is that they don't have the testing equipment or the people such as nurses and Doctors to test people then you have the problem of getting the med's filling in forms and so on this all cost's time and cash you can not just buy Nucleoside/Nucleotide Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors and all this off ebay. lol. We have that sort of stuff we have the NHS which they don't they rely on the red cross and such organizations. The reason why we do not have the cash sometimes is because the goverment are spending our cash on their extra houses.

13. Micah

Old topic is ollllddd. I was still a mod when I replied in this!

14. mattloveshugs92

well i agree but disagree
    africa was colonized by europe from circa 1500 on to very recent times and still left a scar
    hence why sudan had 2 genocides in a short time period, and why many africans live in poverty is because the west is exploiting their resources, they have more minirals and gold than any other nation but it is all managed the wrong way. in the usa we have a more devoloped nation how ever i do believe charity starts at home, we should help our own first then send a percentage to africa too. some africans i have heard are against western medicine because the pharamecutical companies gave them expired vaccines. so it is a 2 way street, some have argued a cure for aids and hiv but say the governments stopped them due to finances. i believe if you give even if its one smile you could save their life potentially some times that one word or one hug can save a life. africa needs less western controll and than they as a continent can deal with their issues.

15. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

17. Dead thread...AWAKEN!

18. sguyc

HIV drugs and money being dumped into awareness programs have effecitvely combated the spread of aids in Africa, so don't worry, the money is being put to good use (depending on which government it goes to, though I assume Red Cross uses it themselves).

I don't understand how people are so flippent about stds either.

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Necro thread... please let it be.