1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The latest from Ron DeSantis - a lot, actually

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ron DeSantis has been burning the candle at both ends with his right wing bent policies.

Within the last day or so, he dismantled a diversity board at New College in Florida, which is supposed to be more experimental and liberal than most schools in the state.

Emotional meeting ends with DeSantis' New College of Florida board abolishing diversity office (msn.com)

Prior to that, he stripped Disney World of some or all of its autonomous governance because of their disagreement with his recent educational policies.

Ron DeSantis installs rightwing figures on board of former Disney district | Ron DeSantis | The Guardian

This man is looking more and more like a tyrannical autocrat. I thought he'd be "Trump Lite." Now I believe he may be "Trump Just as Bad." I used to think he might be better than Trump - younger, not as crass, the best education, and the governor of a major state. I don't think that anymore.

I'm worried about the next election. The outcome of matching up our current President/VP against either Trump or DeSantis lead to not-so-great results either way. Biden will be over 80 and Kamala Harris is not popular. Trump and DeSantis would take us back quite a few steps. I can only hope that both the Democrats and Republicans can reinvent themselves in a year and a half.

2. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This man is so vehemently evil that it isn't funny. Everytime I hear his voice, see his name, it makes me want to figuratively puke in the nearest bucket. He is so evil that words can't even describe him. It's disgusting what he is doing. It's because of him my state and many others have become even more facist then they already were.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's sad because the state does have a lot of blue thinking and voting. All the big city areas and the areas with universities go blue. It's just a little shy of tipping it for elections.

It looks very red, but most people live in the blue counties. It could change in 5 to 10 years, even though that's not fast enough.

[​IMG]

The sticky parts are the north part of the state, some Hispanic blocs who traditionally vote Republican and won't change, and retirees heading there who may be conservative.

4. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate that guy so much right now especially what hes doing to LGBT in FL !

5. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe you, it's like that in my homestate as well. A lot of blue voting folks live in the urban areas and college towns. However it's the damn rural older boomers that have made this state so damned red. A lot of good people live in these red states that vote blue/progressively and they're left to suffer under boomer GOP republican policies. A lot of that BS is going on in my state inspired by Florida. It's a shame. A lot of good people live in these states and they have to deal with these bassackwards polices.

I wish it would change faster...only time will tell. I will be honest and say I'm scared as hell when it comes to thinking about the Presidential election next year.

Me thinking about the 2024 Presidential election and the fact that DeSantis might be a candidate...
    [​IMG]

6. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me tell you why I've stopped agonizing over Florida: First, the more theocratic it becomes, the less intellectual and creative talent it will attract, and the more its economy will depend on real estate. (What's to stop Disney from shifting many of its divisions elsewhere ? What else does the place have, besides citrus fruit and a NASA outpost ?)

Second, climate change will gradually decimate that real-estate based economy, which is looking more and more like a Ponzi scheme.

When insurance companies no longer want to protect homes against floods and hurricanes, or make it unaffordable to most buyers, property values will start to tank. Agents down there are already sounding the alarm. Meanwhile, the politicians would rather talk about banning books and AP classes. Bravo.

Barring some catastrophic failure, I do think Biden would prevail - the last three elections made it clear that the US electorate as a whole has moved on from Trump, esp after the insurrection. Even better if someone like DeSantis gets the nomination and Trump runs as an independent.
    (Famous last words?)

How are your plans coming, to relocate, etc ? Whatever happens out in the world, you can at least control your own chess pieces. I hope you're thinking several moves ahead :slight_smile:

#6 Incoming, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  7. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm slowly working on it...I've been working on saving up the funds and doing research and what not. I'm doing my best to take control of my own life so I can have an out...I try to do advocacy and activism when events come up in my state but....damnit....I'm exhausted...My plans are slowly coming a long. A little bit at a time. I am about to step it up a bit more here soon though because I am sick of feeling like I can't even breath safely in my own state....I am doing my best...I haven't given up despite the constant shit hitting the fan.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will NEVER visit Florida.

9. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand what that mans problem

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your state had a close call in its governor's race this very last time. I was in a state of disbelief.

A lot of people aren't looking at the climate change problem when data on the water table and all that don't look good. I hear you.

I hope that what you say is right. Some people who have kept Trump banners flying or on display for one or two years after the last election have finally taken them down. I read a quick blurb on RFK Jr. possibly considering a run on the Dem side and I thought that might be good. Then I read up on him and some of his platforms. No thanks.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I know. I’m just not going to give any states pushing anti gay or anti trans or anti drag bills my money. I also don’t particularly care for Florida to begin with so there’s that.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I see. I'm okay with FL for vacation and the beach. Some of their beaches are gorgeous. Some people can live there year round and some can't.

I need to cool down every now and then so I worry about living in hot places. With AZ, I've only been there during the winter. I'd like to see more of it.

I needed to clarify my climate change comment above. It may read like it's generalized but it was specifically about Florida. It's worse in South Florida where they are having difficulties managing an in spec water supply for some of their communities. I definitely cannot handle the conservative religious billboards you tend to see in the northern part of it.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The current polling is interesting as for the most part there isn't a clear favourite regardless of the matchup as you pointed out, with one or two exceptions.

It looks though that Democrats are willing to put forth another presidential candidate.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes to the first comment.

As for the Democrats, I just think it's to cover the bases considering all the specific attributes at play.

Weird times. Too weird.