1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The development of sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Bastion, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @PatrickUK

Thank for your feedback on my last post.
    Am just debating and discussing what I read. I thought it somewhat interesting and it relates to the topic of this thread. Am not assuming anything as a fact. Nor am I trying to steer conclusions a certain way.

I agree that we may never know all the answers to human sexuality and that’s fine but it’s good to know about studies, findings, research, and other endeavors that have been published by prominent and renowned professionals and yes Kinsey is one of them and I have the utmost respect for his work.

That being said, beyond that, I think most people, at a certain point would have to accept and arrive at a certain kind of conviction about their sexuality to be at peace as you said and enjoy their lives to the fullest. I hear a lot of people in here in EC talk about the Journey. Well this is important to me in my journey that’s why I came here.

Also I never really had any opportunity in my whole life to talk about these things freely and openly.

2. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am still not clear, though, about what he meant about the key words “in this sense” and “in manifest or latent form”
    I would appreciate it, if you or some of the other advisors could elaborate on that more.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, this is exactly it. And it isn't just a depressed mother. If the mother has anxiety, her own attachment issues, self-esteem/shame issues... if she has a stressful work environment... if she had issues or wounds growing up... if anything in the environment during pregnancy or in early childhood was challenging (money problems, housing instability, absent/unavailable partner, consistent arguments or any sort of domestic violence)... all of those influence the mother's ability to bond with the child, the stress hormone and other neurotransmitter levels in the mother's system prior to birth, etc... and after birth, the infant has no capacity for self-regulation, so he relies on his parent's capacity for emotional regulation. If the parent has any difficulty with regulation, this imprints on the child's brain.

And then, on top of that, whatever the mother learned or didn't learn from her family of origin, unless it has been extensively address in the mother's own therapy, is also going to be an influence on how the mother is able to attune with the child.

Yes, this is totally true. And it isn't just Van der Kolk's view, it is the prevailing understanding by pretty much everyone who is current on trauma research, and is supported by both psychological and basic biochemical research.

Now... we know for certain that these factors influence brain development, which, in turn, impacts mental health, risk for addiction, personality, and all sorts of other things, and absolutely has been shown to be very highly correlated with expression of diseases that are genetic, such as MS, rheumatoid arthritis, ALS, many cancers, and the like. So these factors don't cause these diseases, but they do influence whether the disease expresses. So it's pretty ridiculous to believe that if these factors influence epigenetic expression of diseases, that they would not influence other epigenetic expressions, such as sexual orientation.

#163 Chip, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    out2019 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.