1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STUPID STEREOTYPE ASSUMPTIONS AND REMARKS

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JonSomebody, Dec 28, 2017.

1. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello Guys:

I have been approached in recent months by unfortunate, stupid remarks and assumptions in regards to my sexuality. This manager in my building had dropped by my place to have me signed off on some paperwork and all of a sudden she tried to imply that I was gay because my place was clean and nicely decorated. She also mentioned that I also dress very nice and keep myself up very well. I immediately got an attitude by her jumping to stupid assumptions and told her so. Today, I met with my counselor and had mentioned this to her and she also implied the same due to the same assumptions that this manager had made. I told her that these assumptions were ridiculous and very stereotypical. I know a lot of straight guys who also are well dressed and have nice places and they are not gay. I also know gay guys whom do have unkept places and do not dress well but they are gay and perceived to be straight by some because of their demeanor. Therefore, what I am trying to say is that I think its unfortunate and not true in recent years to assume a guy is gay because he is well dressed and have a clean place. What do you guys think?? Are these idiots right in their thinking?? Thanks in advance for your responses...JS

2. mask1985

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No they are idiots as you say. We all know what makes someone gay or not and it has nothing to do with any of the above. Put it down to ignorance - one day perhaps everyone will get a bit more educated.

Although having said that half of my house looks a bit messy and the other half is quite tidy - maybe they have a point lol

3. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well I always get yelled at by customers at my job they tell me I don't belong (cleaning the women's room) no fricken duh is what I want to say. This one woman always says to me that they must have hired me because I must be related to someone (I'm not) and because I'm special. I said well I am pretty special there's only one of me. She tries to get me in trouble at work all the time. Luckily my HR lady gets it.

4. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, most stereotypes are statistically true, and in this case, they are assuming correctly, so I wouldn't get too mad at them.
    The only problem is if the stereotypes are used to come to incorrect conclusions.

5. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well she always says something like are you trying to be cute or gay?

6. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are morons.

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Doesn't your work have a notice sign that "men or women may be cleaning this room, sorry for the inconvenience" a lot of places do might be something you could suggest.

8. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately the majority of people cling to stereotypes due to pure ignorance. Like you said, there are plenty of straight guys who are meticulously clean and well kept and there are gay men who live in total pigsties and can't be bothered to practice simple hygiene. I think my favorite one is that we have some kind of agenda in the works. Really? I'd like to know what that agenda is:rolling_eyes:

9. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you. Though we cant really dismiss that these stereotypes fits well on most gay dude, same as true to lesbians and other sexual orientation. Still, this doesnt mean that it ALL apply to us. I would do the same if I were you to be honest. You did the right thing. Just remember that you know more about yourself than them so their stupid opinions shouldnt really bother you.

In my case tho, I get get female pronouns in the office just cuz they know I am gay. I dont really like being misgendered. Im a cis male and being gay doesnt mean I want to be a woman. This really pisses me off. I just say fuck off to them and leave them with a demon glare before rolling my eyes.

10. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's ignorance indeed. My colleague got a similar remark this week when he was saying that he and his husband do not attach great importance to decorating their house. Response of straight colleague "oh but I thought that especially your house would be well decorated" (double face palm). I don't like it when people mention stereotypes (negative or positive) because they were clearly thinking of the label "not straight" while talking to you instead of just talking to you as the individual you are.

11. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    idiots all of them

I am human I am sexual

I do not care what they think or guess I am

#11 TrevinMichael, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  12. DomnSubMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im gay and tried to fight it until this past year and once I literally opened myself up I realized that Im totally gay and was depriving myself of the great sex life that men can have together. Give it a try and don't feel bad because u enjoy getting kinda treated like a woman bc I like dominating other men and maybe someday u. But that's up to u if u wanna ride a huge cock. Anyway sex with just men is the best. I suppose if I was a woman id be a lesbian most of the w/o men that I know say that sex with another woman is way better and now that I'm gay I can totally relate I worship fuck pleasure and dominate my men and my cock has grown considerably since I'm came out and I can see why gay men usually have bigger penises than straight men. We are more manly and advanced. By the way have u ever had a guy try to get u pregnant. I' looking forward to it lol bye brah

13. AliceDot79

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It implies that people see your behaviours as due to a type (like straight or gay) rather than actually recognising your individual traits :/ my parents always say if they think someone is gay when we're watching tv based on their looks and it pisses me off.

14. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stereotypes are damaging to society.

15. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stereotypes do tend to come about because of how common something is. Doesn't matter if the reason is right or wrong, but it is common enough to lead to people grouping things by them.

Like gay men being cleaner than straight guys. When I think about all the guys I know, the ones who keep their home the neatest are either military or gay. The biggest slob is straight and married... text book white trash.

Granted the cleanest goes to anyone I know who doesn't have kids. You can always tell who has kids even if you don't see them lol.

But speaking of stereotypes, I am 100% certain if nearly everyone on this site saw me out and about, they would never think I would even be the type who supported LGBT let alone be bi sexual. For that matter most probably would want to run into me in a dark alley based on appearance alone.

#15 Shorthaul, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  16. MorganB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it cultural in the Phillippines that people think gay men want to be women, or it's just your coworkers ridiculing you?

17. Lipstick Leuger

Yeah, us Femmes get this all the time. We have either longer hair and makeup so we must be straight. Our own people don't even notice us or ask us to leave gay spaces. Some Lesbians treat us horrible as well. After all we're not REAL Lesbians or Queer girls because we prefer Butches....ya know? And then those of us who have short hair and or no makeup well how can we be true Femmes? It's utter rubish, all of it.

18. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All...I sure don't like stereotypes. I sure don't fit. I'm gay and no has ever had a clue unless I came out to them. When I have come out to someone I have always gotten the "jaw hit the floor...no shit?' response. :old_big_grin: However...here's a thought: The next time it happens take the opportunity to "educate" the other person (low-key so they might actually listen :old_smile: ). Who knows...you might help to develop a LGBTQ ally! Nice thought anyway! :old_wink:
    ....David :gay_pride_flag:

#18 quebec, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  19. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah they are dumb. A lot of straight people don't really get us, I find. Like, there are a lot of straight people who are not that dumb, but there are a lot that are.

20. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its a stereotype here that gay men want to be women. Same as true with lesbians here. For some reasons my coworkers cant accept the fact that I am cis gender male that likes other male. TBH its annoying but I just tell myself that I know my self more than them and that I dont need to prove anything for them.