1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News States doing something about conversion therapy and the creeps who still push it

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This article is from February of this year. It's about Kentucky trying to be the 20th state to ban conversion therapy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/we...rsial-everything-you-need-to-know/ar-BB105Ecd

The article is useful because you can see which states have banned it. New Jersey was the first back in 2013. I can't tell if it has become law in Kentucky yet. More states need to abolish it.

The APA says it leads to negative mental health outcomes and can lead to self harm. A Kentucky pastor said it is barbaric and deadly.

NARTH is the psychological practice group that really pushed it. They seem less powerful now. They have failed to pay dues for education and membership in some situations.

They had a real cast of nefarious proponents. Dr. Charles Socarides was one of the founders. One of his sons is gay and is very successful. He chose to be a psychiatrist before he had kids. It makes me wonder why he would pick this area to begin with. I wonder about all of them who pick this area. Psychologist Joe Nicolosi is probably the most recent one whose name is well recognized. He was highly disliked. I learned he died at age 70 from the flu. This was before covid. His son, Joe Jr., seems to be doing the same thing, but promotes it as reintegration therapy. It makes me wonder how it's any different. He isn't in the spotlight as much as is father was. The most brutal practitioner in this group is still alive, in his 80s. That would be psychologist Gerard van den Aardweg in the Netherlands. He didn't want to help anyone, I don't think. His words and comments are the most vicious of any I've heard and, yet, he continued to see patients. He will not be missed.

2. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even in states where conversion therapy isn't legal, there are still religious communities who inflict this practice on their children. In my home town, I recently learned that there is a religious leader who is encouraging families to engage in it. Having had run-ins with them growing up, both in terms of myself and former friends, it was disheartening to learn that the situation had not improved.

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw this a while back and just found it. It's hard not to notice how defensive he is.

This is Joe Nicolosi on video.

5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He is the dumbass that wrote the books that Amazon banned from their site, correct?

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, his books were banned, I think. I don't see them on that site.

I don't see the van den Aardweg books either. He is not in America so most people don't have as much exposure to him. He is even more venomous, if you can believe that.