1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting up with new therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tightrope, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a new year and a psychologist I'd been considering in the past is accepting new patients.

The last one that I kept most of the way through the pandemic was not a good fit. It was my fault for keeping him but I did keep looking. It was his fault for not trying as he was toward the end of his career, wasn't in my corner, and seemed to just want to keep me on as a client.

I'm starting up sooner than I thought. What would be some things you would need to clear up and get to fairly fast - in addition to sexuality? I also wanted to bring up that I feel the past therapist was not a good fit - there weren't many to choose from - and I believe he did some damage. I say this about damage because I often think about what a jerk he was. I think of the therapist I had before him in a positive light because he taught me a lot about myself and ways to look at things.

Should I bring this last therapist up and how? It will be something I will also need to work through.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tightrope.....Yes, I do think you should share what you felt about your previous therapist with your new one. Not in a super negative way, but just in a way that lets your new therapist know the difficulties that you encountered. That would let your new therapist have an idea of areas that are problems for you. Not necessarily for your new therapist to avoid those areas, but for them to understand that if they feel the need to approach those areas that they will need to do so carefully as you already have trigger points around those topics. Any information that can help a therapist work better with their client is a plus!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Lek and Tightrope like this.
  3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They'll likely ask you why you're seeking therapy and that's a good time to bring this up. It's okay to explain how he made you feel and what he said that hurt you. If this feels like a form of "trash talking" because you're talking to another therapist, it isn't. It's helpful information for them to have, especially if it's impacting your comfort level with the new therapist.

Lek and Tightrope like this.
  4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How's it going with the new therapist? You feel very wronged by the last one so sure bring it up, however it comes out, let it go. Let them know your Kinsey number for sure. I hope it's a great fit and you make the progress you want!

Tightrope likes this.
  5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for all the advice. Okay. I see that everyone has weighed in that I should bring up the last therapist. I will.

I will still need to work on all areas, and they can "go there" with me. This last therapist went into the sexuality area by the first session and then didn't do much with it. I think he was nosy because it was a single adult going to therapy on their own. He just wanted to keep billing, I guess, as he got closer to retiring. I wanted to address a lot of issues. The therapist I had over 5 years ago worked on things with me as we went along. He said that when I got a new therapist, most of them should be able to work on issues that involve relationships and sex and sexuality because it's in their schooling to become psychologists and they'll see it in their offices. Not this last one. I think that if they have a big couples and family counseling base, they might not be the best with single people.

A lot has happened in a week. I was supposed to go to therapy in the afternoon late last week but got a call in the morning that they were going to cancel it. I saw the caller ID and had a feeling it wouldn't be good.

As I said, I have tried to get with this therapist before and now he was taking on new people. It turned out to be the same issue as before. When I get into my medical and insurance site, their offices (it's a group with several offices) show that they take the insurance. The woman from the specific office who called me explained to me that they run into this problem every once in a while. The glitch is that not every provider in each office takes different insurance plans and groups, and the one I wanted to see did not. That's exactly where it stood a couple of years ago! Yet the woman who called me last week from the central office looked at all my intake stuff and said "you're good to go" for the appointment.

Their central office called me just this morning to follow up and line me up with another therapist. I'll look into them. You can tell a lot from reading their bios and what they focus on, and even their photos. She was understanding when I explained that I can get a good feel if it's a fit when I look at what they have on line and she respected that.

I will start looking again next week and may go out of network. I will have to hit a deductible and then the copay amount kicks in, so it makes a lot of sense to get started earlier in the year.

6. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like you're on the right track. Therapists have to be a good fit - and as with romantic relationships, you have to learn how to walk away when it doesn't work. (Maybe the "transference" reference isn't appropriate - but maybe it is, LOL).

Years ago I tried half a dozen therapists before finding "the one". Until then, I kept despairing that I was simply too broken even for therapy. But in retrospect it was a process of trial and error that couldn't be avoided.

As a novice facing (what I assumed to be) a seasoned professional, it took me months to trust my gut. If I felt I wasn't being heard, or adequately probed and challenged, was it really the therapist's fault ? Or was I just being impatient, or obstinate, or making excuses for my lack of progress ?

One of my tryouts, who had a lengthy and impressive-looking list of credentials, simply sat there and nodded for the whole hour, as if her role was simply to listen and show mild empathy with a smile or two. She did not say a single thing during the entire session. WTF ?!

On the other hand, my best therapist chilled me to the bone within minutes - as if she had recognized my demons as soon as I'd walked into her study, and made it clear she wasn't going to accept anything less than a full emotional breakdown. She more than made up for the money I squandered on the others.

#6 Incoming, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Tightrope likes this.
  7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your detailed post. This stood out. This is sort of what this last person was like and any input came about if the area touched one his pet areas. Then he would emote. Only then.

The telehealth situation allowed for waived copays during the pandemic. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the radio silence and lack of progress during that period.

Incoming likes this.
  8. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Finding a good therapist that is a good fit as really difficult.

Had one for years.. we where not a great fit.. and him being gay, my wife always questioned out sessions. (came out to her as bi about 6 months ago). Had to stick with him as he was one of the only nero rehab therapists in our area.

Anyway, got a new therapist about 8 months ago. Was a life changer. She was actually giving input... engaging.. giving advice and supporting.

The key is, get the right fit.. if you see its not working, change. Gave me the courage to come out.. even just to my wife.. but it was the 1st step.

In the pandemic we also had those tele sessions.. did not work for me.. especially where you are at home .. amongst your family with no real privacy.. how can it work.. maybe for general health .. but do not believe its feasible for therapy. just my opinion.

Hope you find a good therapist and good fit..

Tightrope likes this.
  9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the input. I agree. The fit has to be there and they don't need to be your friend. They should not be your friend.

I went through a lot to find the one I had. In the first year, there were some red flags. I was often returning to the directories and my insurance portal to look for a new one. I kept seeing many I didn't want to work with and a few I liked that didn't take my specific plan from my large insurer, so I kept attending sessions.

I don't like telehealth all that much. The only good part was not having to drive 20 to 30 minutes to get there and zero copays because of not going in.

I've got some criteria and then it has to match up with insurance. Darn. I'm even thinking of an out-of-network provider where there's a higher copay because my gut tells me he might be a good fit and his reviews are also good.

10. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Think it is a balance between co payment and good fit. I am covered in full independent of whom I use (that is in our country if you are diagnosed with certain conditions) which helps.. but that also just goes that far.. then you have to start paying for your self. I tend to stretch my sessions depending on what is going on in my life.. it all depends.

But getting back.. did the telehealth work for you? would that be an option, even if you find someone that would be a good fit which would save you.. even if you have to step out of network? Do one or two sessions in person.. and mix it up with telehealth sessions to supplement and balance out cost.. don't know if that could work. My one was very open and accommodating with regards to interval / cost balance.

Tightrope likes this.
  11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a way to stay connected. Especially during covid and the beginning of it when there was a state of panic in the air. He seemed more disconnected during telehealth sessions as he was sitting at his home.

I can tell you what it looks like money-wise. With my plan, copays are $40 per session, with no deductible for the year. If I go out of network, copays will be $60 after hitting a $1,000 deductible. I'm starting to think my mental health is more important than a $1,000 deductible and I usually don't run up much in the way of medical and medicine bills during the year. That's how I am looking at it at this point.

12. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aa ok.. Yes, mental health is more important. I would also spend money for it. Your copayment is about the same cost as a session here. The telehealth session was very disconnected for me as well. You don't have that one on one feeling and it becomes very difficult to read body language, especially if you are prone to doing that. But you are right.. sorting out your mental health, immaterial of cost where possible is important.

Tightrope likes this.
  13. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To better me and my wife's relationship I suggested she sees a therapist. Its an on going process to try and convince her that it would benefit us. I have been in therapy for about 6 years.. and with me coming out, I believe she would benefit from it... and in the end, our relationship would benefit from it... either way, what ever the outcome is, as therapy does let you see things in a different light. But getting her to see the benefit is still a bit of a struggle and would require some nudging.

Tightrope likes this.
  14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have dragged my feet but just made the call to another therapist (got voice mail). This is the one I contacted about a year ago, was full, and I'm trying again. He is out of network, so copays will be more.

Yesterday was one of those days that left me wondering how I got through it. A very bad one. Thank you, sertraline and bupropion. Thank you to the folks on the forum.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had my first therapy appointment today. It went well. I got a better feel from this provider than the one I last had and kept during the pandemic who sent up red flags soon.

I asked some initial questions to try to ensure there wouldn't be countertransference and resentment issues. He asked me what I'd like to accomplish and how I've been feeling over the last few months or so. I also told him about the last therapist and he said he doesn't know that provider in a different part of the city. He agreed that being contradicted and judged is not what a person wants as a client. I went through an overview of what has happened in my life. All in 50 minutes.

I have a few sessions scheduled going forward. He's out of network, but if he works out, I don't care about that. We agreed that we will fill in the chapters of what has happened in future sessions.

This is the hard part. I've been away from therapy for about a year and a half. Even though the session went well, I left feeling absolutely exhausted, like I was going to collapse. It was the last appointment slot in the day for him and I went to get dinner in a fog and then home to lay down. I don't understand why I would feel this way.

16. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tightrope.....I've felt that way before after sessions with my therapist. Most often when it was a good session. For me it was the "unloading" of a lot of garbage that I'd been carrying for a long time. Just being free of all that junk was a relief but at the same time I felt exhausted at the experience...but it was a "good" exhausted. I don't know if that is how it worked for you, but that happened to me a number of times. I think the emotional release of being free of the things that I had carried for so long was just an emotional tiring feeling even though it was a good thing. I hope that your new therapist works out well for you...I know that finding the "right" therapist was one of the very best things that I've ever done and I was fortunate to find the right guy on the first try! I saw him for the first time in December of 2015 and we still talk!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Tightrope likes this.
  17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this could be a big part of it and it was my first session, so I didn't know what he'd be like and how the session would be. In a way, it's like that feeling after finals at the end of an academic term or meeting a difficult deadline at work. You feel relieved but also down. I sometimes get a little sick after stuff like this but bounce back fairly quickly.

Thank you for the good thoughts and wishes.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you left feeling exhausted, that's probably a good sign :slight_smile:. It means that emotionally taxing material was discussed in session.

Credentials are near meaningless, and years in practice don't actually correlate, in studies, to better outcomes. Some of the best, most talented therapists are only a couple years out of school, and some of the worst have impeccable credentials, doctoral degrees from Ivy League schools. And, on the whole, clinical social workers are some of the best therapists, because of the nature of how they are trained. So if you aren't already looking at LCSWs as a possibility, I'd suggest you might consider it, if you decide the therapist you're currently seeing isn't a good fit.

If you really have to ask questions to determine if there is resentment and countertransference... you must have had a collection of truly terrible therapists. Those are such basic things (and, really, they are the same thing) that it's a basic building block of any competent therapist's skill. And yet... there are plenty of licensed therapists who haven't done their work, sad to say. I seem to remember from your history that you've asked therapists a lot of personal questions in the past. A good therapist will deflect and avoid those questions, as, for a competent one, it (a) isn't relevant to your treatment and (b) could actually interfere with treatment. So take the opportunity and just see how therapy makes you feel. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Tightrope likes this.
  19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanted to wait until today's session which was the second one. The first session was draining because I just met the new therapist. Today's session was draining because we started going into my history and you're whisked back to the past. We're going to break it up in smaller chunks with less detail for the next few sessions. At the beginning of the session, he did a few more intake things. At the end of the session, I filled out a Beck Inventory form. I had to put in values from 0 to 3 next to statements. I didn't mind.

I feel comfortable with him so far. His office feels like an old shoe, but it's not an old place. It's not intimidating.

He writes some things down. The last one didn't write anything. That was sort of weird.

I wanted to clarify the part about asking personal questions. When I looked for reviews next to their names, other personal data sites came up and I clicked a few times and got to see some specific info about them and their families. The last one also had open social media accounts, which are supposed to be buttoned up. They weren't. It's hard not to look. You're right in that I border on being terrified by countertransference. It ruins the trust and wipes out a lot of the work. The last one and the one in the late 2000s might say something about their personal situation or their opinions about things around us and over a few years, I was able to get a good idea about their overall stand on many things and that it might not have been a good fit. I was able to see their values. The questions I ask are usually if they can work with people raised in old fashioned religious homes and maybe whether they have kids. Some have kids' photos on display so I don't ask. I also ask about their approach to therapy and if they will not be shocked by some graphic explanations and cursing. They may not remember what they've said over time because they have different clients. For me, they're the only provider I'm working with, so I will remember the different things they've said and it can look like getting pieces for a jigsaw puzzle.

They've all been psychologists. My insurance doesn't list as many LCSWs. The one I had about five years ago had a doctorate from a local school and was great. I forgot to mention one I had around '09 and '10. He had his master's and was starting his doctoral studies in about a year. He was much younger than me. He was very supportive because he was just a kind person and I don't think that a doctorate or time will change that. It's the last one that was the absolute worst with his contradicting and faces he'd make, but the pandemic came. I'm largely responsible for NOT going out of network to widen my options when I should have.

With this new therapist, we've now sort of decided on the day of the week and time I'd like to have sessions in the future. Let's see. I'm hoping for the best.

#19 Tightrope, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of therapists do. Most, in fact. To not take any notes is actually unethical. Now, it's possible your other therapists took notes based on memory after the session. But it's also possible and likely they simply didn't take notes, which isn't good.

Well, you're entitled to do what you want, but a good therapist takes at least some basic steps to hide any social media presence to prevent exactly the sort of snooping you are doing, because it can interfere with therapy.

That's really bad.

You're right in that I border on being terrified by countertransference. It ruins the trust and wipes out a lot of the work.
    That isn't good.
    . Opinions differ on this, but most competent therapists don't really talk about their private lives, because it is not generally beneficial to therapy. If a question is asked, a good therapist will redirect the question to focus on the client.
    . No therapist should be bothered by that (except maybe a Christian therapist operating within the bounds of conservative Christian theology, which really isn't therapy). If you find one who is... that's a therapist that hasn't done their work.
    Well, they should, and the good ones do.

It does sound like you've had a lot of just really terrible experiences, and that's too bad. Let's hope this one is a lot better. :slight_smile:

Tightrope likes this.