1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Media

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jessie19, Nov 15, 2020.

1. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone,

After creating a new social media profile, (its hidden from my friends as i am not out yet), i want to take time and apologies. As well as ask some things

Firstly, after creating the profile, i liked a few LBGTQ+ pages and some Trans support pages. To which i shortly after got bombarded with friend requests. Now some you can see are weirdo's and others look generally fine. so after chatting with them for a while, all of them start with the " so how does it look", "can i see you naked, "wanna sleep together", i"ve always wanted to see what its like to sleep with a trans" and ive got to say, o have never in my life had issues with having an ego. BUT HELL now i feel objectified as someone who is just the next big phase. LIKE WOW.

and secondly, i want to apologies to all ladies out there who have had this, never mind your sexuality, this is atrocious and horrible. so i just wanted to say, sorry and i honestly hope we can raise the next generation not to do this.

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How horrible. Jessie - you've just confirmed to me why I'm right not to get involved in F*******, Instagram and the like.

jessie19 likes this.
  3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Wow, that's... ew. I don't know what site you're talking about, but that behavior isn't really appropriate for any of them.

jessie19 likes this.
  4. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have it because it helps me be myself somewhere and make friends before i lose the current ones when i do come out, and i have to say, its amazing to be myself on all my regular pages and no one knows who i am. for my mental health its helping me alot

Exactly, i have never done that to anyone, so why do they think it is okay to treat people like an object of desire

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What you are talking about here is part of why I do not have any social media accounts. I do not like being seen as someones fetish object. There is nothing that I can do about them objectifying people like me but I can reduce my exposure to it.

Make sure that whatever site you are on you learn the various ways to keep yourself safe, like privacy settings and blocking and do not hesitate to use them. I would also recommend that if you do not feel safe with people who know you in real life knowing that you should use privacy things in your browser and even get a VPN if you possibly can, the harder it is to trace you the safer you will be.

gravechild likes this.
  6. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the advice, but i suppose thats where being a overly paranoid System Administrator comes in handy, there is no links to who i am, no shared IP's no shared PC's and no friends can find me as i manually block all of them, so my profile stays invisible for as long as i need it to.

But on a lighter note, that hasn't happened here once, in-fact this is the safest i've felt in years

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god. What a bunch of pervs/assholes/you name it.

It feels bad but... know that all women face that. I used to have strange friend requests and mesages from dudes from all over the world when I had an account as a girl. I can’t say I delt overwhelmed by that, but it is unpleasant, and tbh girls laugh at those guys a lot. And at their stupid pickup lines. And this all is just so random. It’s stupid.

Block them, treat them with distance and it’s going to be fine. Not the most pleasant experience but all women go through this.

Social media are fine and safe, as long as you don’t post your your address and other personal info publicly. Seriously.

Head up, we’re there with you. :slight_smile: and keep on rocking the new account(s) and getting to know fellow LGBT folks.

8. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much for all the support, honestly doing small things has been helping me alot

Mihael likes this.