1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronoun issues w/ friends/ gf :)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PlutoTheOpposum, Dec 12, 2022.

1. PlutoTheOpposum

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, hii!! I posted here before, so sorry about posting again. Idk.
    Basically I feel kinda bad, cuz my gf isn't using my pronouns. I've asked her if she can use they/them pronouns with me, and she's said yeah, but she never does. When I bring it up, she says it's hard to use my pronouns because I don't look nonbinary. She's not transphobic or anything, I just don't think she sees me as enby, and it kinda makes me sad. :frowning2:

As for my friends, they don't use my pronouns, either. I'm out of the closet to pretty much everyone (except my parents, but even then-) but STILL nobody thinks of me as enby. Honestly if it were strangers misgendering me, it'd be more understandable but these are my FRIENDS. The majority of them are LGBTQ, too, so idk. It's annoying, but I don't want to seem like THAT person. There's only a handful of people who correctly gender me, but even then that's not good enough for me. I know I sound selfish by wanting to impose this on other people, but UGH idk- it's just really annoying.

Thanks for listening to me rant, if you have any ideas lmk <3 ty

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to start by saying that it isn’t selfish to want people to use your pronouns, anymore than it’s selfish to want people to call you by your name and not some random name they chose for you. While I don’t think your girlfriend is being intentionally hurtful, it is transphobic to refuse to use the correct pronouns for someone because they don’t “look nonbinary.” Nonbinary people come in all shapes and sizes. Some want to look more androgynous, or more masculine or feminine, but others are happy with their physical bodies. All nonbinary people are valid and deserve to be treated the way they want to be treated.

Let me address your girlfriend first. My suggestion is to go back to her and say, again, that you want her to use they/them pronouns for you. If she says that you don’t look nonbinary, ask her what she thinks a nonbinary person looks like. Tell her that you are nonbinary and it doesn’t matter what you look like.

For your friends: Can you get the ones that do correctly gender you to help with the ones that don’t? You shouldn’t have to handle this on your own and it might help to have people on your side reminding them that what they’re doing isn’t cool. Then remind them. It’s possible that they think, even on a subconscious level, that if you’re not correcting them on using the wrong pronouns, that you don’t actually think it’s a big deal and therefore they don’t have to try. Using they/them pronouns doesn’t come naturally to most people and so it’s normal for them to need time to retrain their brains—but that doesn’t make it okay for them not to try at all.

Rayland likes this.
  3. Lo The Froggo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    when i was 11-13 (like middle school age) my gf knew that i used they/them pronouns and proceeded to use she/her pronouns and call me her gf :frowning2: im just glad she never used my deadname. she broke up with me and then decided she was straight (right after coming out to her mom so i think that had something to do with it.) anyways, thats besides the point.
    I agree with @Aspen and i think you should confront them, or just remind them to use the correct pronouns. If they forget thats one thing, but they need to actively try to use the correct pronouns. If they are purposefully misgendering you, you definitely need to confront them.
    there is no specific form for someone non-binary. you can express yourself however and still be non-binary. the way you dress has no impact on your gender. looks and presentation is useless in this matter, feelings are whats important.
    how do you feel?

PlutoTheOpposum likes this.