1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my attention span... ADHD? ASD?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by atomidog, Jan 14, 2021.

1. atomidog

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been contemplating the things I have been dealing in the last 4-5 years. I have Aspergers/ASD, and I've never really internalized my own experiences with it. However, I have been thinking about if I am actually ADHD since a lot of my problems now are more based around focus, attention and just not being able to organize my thoughts. However, I am totally aware that I might just not be misdiagnosed and it's just that symptoms of my Autism are exaggerating.

Either way: I wanted to just ask here if anyone here has dealt with these similar thoughts and if you have found it hella difficult to focus without getting easily overwhelmed? And if so, what has been some stuff you've done to help with these issues? I look forward to knowing what y'all have to sayyy.

:ok_hand::sparkles:

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being neurologically atypical is something that really runs more of a spectrum. Where I currently am they actually look at ASD, ADHD, ADD etc as a spectrum. I am diagnosed ASD (about 10 years ago as an adult in the USA). My symptoms very much cluster closer to the ASD end with difficulties relating and communicating with people and troubles with meltdowns. Even with that I have some symptoms that are more classic to ADD, like the attention problems and with organizing things. I am better able to run my life because I have worked on them.

One thing that has really helped me with concentration etc is mindfulness training, Jon Kabat-Zinn has a number of books which are helpful for this - Mindfulness Meditation, Mindfulness for Beginners and Wherever you go, There you are are all good. Also Eckhart Tolle - Stillness Speaks. I have also been learning to meditate and it helps me to quiet things down so that I can organize my life better I have found writings by Derek Lin and also the Dalai Lama that are good for this.

#2 QuietPeace, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The past year has me realizing that I may very well be dealing with some kind of undiagnosed ADHD. My sister has it, so it wouldn't be too surprising, but I also can't be sure it's just my other diagnoses mixed up in a fun focus-based stew. I'm definitely showing signs, I just can't be positive about it.

Looking back on it, I've dealt with it through a lot of experimentation over the years. Studying/working in college required me to be in a completely different place, I could never study in my bedroom or dorm room. I also do a lot better when there's another person next to me also working, even if it's not on the same thing we're working on (which is apparently something called 'doubling'?? Learned that this week, might have the wrong term but it's def an ADHD thing). I do well with lo-fi or pretty instrumental music, or even white noise playing rather than silence, but music with lyrics will not go amazingly if I need actual brainpower. I've also started planning out my breaks a little bit more, saying "I'm gonna do this for 30 minutes and then take 5 for a break" is a lot easier than "I GOTTA FINISH THIS BAD BOY IN ONE GO".

It's totally fair to be stressed out about stuff like this though, especially when you're working with a previous diagnosis and wondering how much that affects what you're feeling.

Landgirl likes this.
  4. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    One thing I have trouble with is focusing on text on the screen. I don't have this trouble with printed text, but I have a hard time focusing on text on a screen. Taking quick breaks can help though.

I take breaks when doing pretty much anything. For example, when on Duolingo, I'll do a lesson, then listen to a song while reading something else. Then another lesson, then another song, and so on. I also tend to take breaks in between episodes of whatever I'm watching on TV. Kind of keeps my brain from being fried.