1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

once upon a time...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lo The Froggo, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Lo The Froggo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was 11 I came out to my sister (who was 17 years old at that time) by accident as bi. Earlier that day one of my friends had drawn the bi flag on my arm and when I got home I had forgotten about it. So I took off my coat.

My sister saw it and I ran into my room and slammed the door. When she got in, we kept interrogating each other to get information out. I promised that if I ever was in a relationship I would tell her.

It turns out that she had a girlfriend and she is lesbian. I had assumed as much (I was there when she met her girlfriend and it was awkward) and then we agreed that if one of us came out to our mother the other would come out as well.

A few months later, my mother saw my sister and her gf holding hands so she asked if they were dating. I of course, kept my promise and came out. It was terrifying but I am glad I did because she was totally fine with it.

When I came out to one of my friends around the same time and I mentioned trans, lesbian, and gay she asked me what trans meant... so me and my friend (the same one who drew the flag) made a slideshow.

That was my fun coming out story...

A word of advice to anyone struggling to come out (especially to friends):
    Just know that it is made a whole lot easier if you come out through a note in person. You can see their reaction but you never have to speak. In my opinion, actually verbally coming out is a lot more on the spot and difficult.

quebec likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lo.....I have to agree that coming out verbally can be tough. I came out first here on Empty Closets and later face-to-face with a good friend. It was sooo difficult to come out verbally face-to-face...even to a close friend! I've often suggested a letter when someone is going to face a difficult coming out. I've never thought about a note and doing it face to face. That sounds like an in-between way of doing it. I guess if you trust the person you're coming out to, that would make actually saying the words "I am Gay" or "I am a Lesbian" or "I am Trans" a whole lot easier! :old_big_grin: Very interesting thought!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: