1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master's degree

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did you approach your master's degre? Did you stay at the same university as undergrad or did you go elsewhere? Did you pursue the same degree or did you pick another? Did you stay in the same city/town or did you travel? Did you stay in your home country or did you go abroad? How did /do you find the experience?

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to get off topic and steal your thread I am thinking of going back to school but not sure for what.

3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to the same university for undergraduate and graduate school. Actually most people I knew did as well and stayed in the same field of study. I did apply to a few other schools, but didn't get in which was fine because where I went is a well respected school and still in-state tuition.

4. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been to different universities studying different Bachelor's degrees. I didn't finish either of them, though, but that has allowed me to learn plenty of useful stuff.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mihael.....I went to a different university and did my Master's degree in a different subject. B.A. Ed in Music and M.A. Ed in Computer Science. First school in Washington State, second school in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I stayed at the same university. There was a financial incentive to stay for all students (cheaper fees) and the application process was slightly easier because they knew you already. I enjoyed my undergrad though, so probably would have stayed without the above. Also, it was in the same subject because that’s what really interested me.

I’m glad I did it, but it was a different experience than studying at undergrad and I didn’t enjoy it quite as much. I think that was mostly due to me studying the MA part-time and not being around the campus as much. I didn’t really get to know any fellow students that well, whereas I still keep in touch with friends I met during undergrad.

7. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did my bachelors in the States and about 5 years later while living in Germany I did my masters with a uni in London, which had mandatory weekend intensive courses in Maastricht, Netherlands. Since I had spent some time working after my bachelors, I was able to pick a masters that matched my career a little better. It was related to my bachelors.

My brother told me that you should get paid to do your masters, but I'm not sure that applies to every field of study. If you do have to pay, the programs in Europe are much cheaper. And you get to live in Europe, which is nice.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your replies :slight_smile: it's good to know others' experiences.

Yeah, at my university the application process is a lot easier for those who stay and you don't have to catch up with missing material later, so the degree takes less time and hemce is cheaper.

I'm looking for an alternative school, but can't find one that I would like and would want people with a CS undergrad. And the one that I've found also has a longer degree than mine.

9. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not only different university, but also different country.

10. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My wife got her B.A. at a normal university and did her masters entirely through a online university.

11. Meno

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Next year I am enter high school and chose not to go with what I want and change to travel and dorm in NYC but to stay were I am for school. For college my dream is to go UB right near my home. We pass through campus all the time and I really hope to go! Any advice how how to survive freshman year in HS?

12. Stitch57

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes please I need that advice to

13. Sleeping Owl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I chose my undergrad major instead of doing a few more courses in my minor to qualify. I ended up at the same school because I didn't get in to other local schools, and considered travelling but the canadian dollar is pretty weak.

14. SoRo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started off at a community college for 2 years, transferred to a university. I took 2 years off and then went to an accelerated program and completed a 1 year program for my master's degree. All of my degrees are the same-in social work. I stayed in the same city/town because I have children. Experience was found through internships as well as networking in the field :slight_smile:

15. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got mine at the same university where I obtained my first degree. I have a degree in Biological Sciences, but my Master's is in Education (though I worked with science education projects during my entire first course).

I'm now pursuing a new degree in Front-End programming... unfortunately, I feel extremely undervalued in Education, even though I love it.

16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can imagine, being a teacher has to be stressful. It's a lot of immediate responsibility and you have to deal a lot with the students and their parents. The pays are low too. I'm ot an expert in front-end, but it seems to me like it's better paid and less emotionally draining than teaching for someone who has good soft skills.

Is it a full-time or part-time degree?

I'm wondering myself sometimes... I decided to go to a Master's degree that is at the same university as my Engineer's degree and is the same subject. I want to get it done and look for a job, it's high time, especially since completing the first degree took me longer than expected (I switched around universities and degrees at the beginning and then I had trouble with studying during covid online, and had to retake a class taught by an abusive teacher). One way or another, if I considered doing another degree, I would take it part-time, because I want to have a job.

17. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Degrees work a little different here in Brazil, so correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant. I'm studying through an online course, which has a duration of 2,5 years. I don't need to study the entire day, but I usually save 1 or 2 hours per day, when I dedicate myself to it.

So, even though it is tiresome, I'm managing to work and study at the same time.

18. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I see, online. In Europe, I believe that online courses have similar hour counts as your and count as part-time. Yeah, I see what you mean.

19. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sam
    Same for both.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread slipped away from me and I had meant to reply.

Different schools ... very different. The biggest thing I learned was that I was really only cut out for higher education in a city or an urban area. That's because I could both feel engaged by and find "escape" in a city. There would be more to do - which required discipline - and if you had some type of job, you might have to go to a different part of the city, you would be interacting with people who most likely aren't at your university, and you could feel like you're a part of something much larger. I liked the option of knowing people beyond those going to school with me and rounding out my friendships through that. Ask yourself whether its being urban or rural is an important factor for you.

Those considering a graduate degree should ask themselves if they need it for their intended life path, if they really want it or it's something they're doing because it's a family tradition or they're being pushed to do it, and those sorts of big picture questions. I know more than a handful of people who went to law school - it's considered a doctorate here - because that's what they were "supposed" to do and those who didn't have a passion for that type of work left it behind and regretted having done it.

A person's gut is somewhat tied to their brain because it tells you things. I would go visit the different school you plan to apply to or attend, if you can, and see what your gut tells you. If you can, stay more than just half a day and see if you can sit in on a class or two, "shadow" a lab, experience it in some other first hand sort of way, and be sure to talk to the students already in the program there.

It's complicated. It was for me. I'll stop right there!

#20 Tightrope, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023