1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've come out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lottaotter, Jun 25, 2021.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I posted on here last month with my letter, and yesterday they received it. They reacted much better than I expected, but I still feel a bit weird about it all. Just want a place to 'dump' all my feelings on this.

• I am a bit angry that they were surprised that I thought they might be angry. I want to (but won't) remind them about all the times they said gays were child molesters, that lesbians were women going through mid-life crises looking for attention. All the times that I got called a 'poofter' for not meeting society's masculine ideal. The times I was told I couldn't watch certain TV programmes, later finding out it was because one of the presenters was gay.
    • After they contacted me I felt shame like I've not felt for a long time. I felt like being gay was a disgusting perversion, and then I felt ashamed about feeling like that. Still feel like I've let 'the community' down by coming out 'late' (I'm 27). I don't feel enough
    • I'm not going to to extended family. But I'm not hiding anything from them either. I've told my parents they can tell them if they like. Do I count as fully out now? Again, I don't feel 'enough'. Often when I post questions on here people would tell me that not being out to my parents was part of my problem, but now I still don't feel I meet the 'requirements'.
    • Something positive in their message was that they said they 'Just want me to be happy being me'. That felt very, very nice to read. It's really the polar popposite of the message I've received throughout much of my life; from the staff at my nursery who abused me to the teachers and students at school who bullied me; they all wanted me to be ashamed of who I was (which goes a lot beyond just sexuality).
    • I want to tell my friends and housemates that I came out, but I 'm worried they'll laugh at me or say I should have come out sooner, or not make such a big deal out of it. Am I just being an attention-seeker? I recently made a Pride-related post of social media and it felt good. I felt like I was actually doing something
    Sorry if this isn't the super-positive post you wanted! :slight_smile: I didn't have really high expectations going into this but I feel like I ought to be happier.

Lyman and SunnyNarwal like this.
  2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m glad they want you to be happy being you. That is a very supportive statement.

I don’t know why people minimize or forget how they said cruel things in the past. It is obvious they have come a long way. Now what will it take for lottaotter to let go of the power those past statements have?

You ask if you’re an attention seeker. I don’t think it is wrong for you to get attention. Especially during pride. Go ahead and feel good!

lottaotter likes this.
  3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not very many people who come out get the affirmation and support they really need. Often times it's somewhat supportive and just above neutral. Sometimes it's more negative. It seems like you got a pretty decent response.

This just happened, so it's ok that you have mixed feelings about how it went. The most important part is that you accomplished your goal. You were in great fear of coming out to them, and yet you pushed through that fear and did what you probably thought at one point that you would never do - actually tell your parents that you are gay. Well done!

Give yourself time to work through these feelings. Coming out does generally resolve these feelings, but it's not like a light switch. It's a process, and it takes time.

lottaotter likes this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lottotter.....Congratulations! That was a big step and you've done it! Your parents will need more time to adjust to this new you and people can have selective memory when they realize that they have been saying embarrassing and very hurtful things to someone they do love. As for coming out late...I came out at 64 so I don't think you came out anywhere late! :old_big_grin: Now go ahead and be proud that you came out! It's a difficult thing to do. Every one of us who have had to go through it will understand and will be happy for you!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#4 quebec, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    lottaotter likes this.
  5. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done! You are very brave and have done an incredibly difficult thing that many in our community never find the courage to do.
    Be proud of being you!

lottaotter likes this.
  6. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone. The thing is I am feeling more ashamed than ever before about my sexuality. I feel somehow gross and dirty and I don't know why.

7. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You’ll get through this.

lottaotter likes this.
  8. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you :slight_smile:

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have summoned up the courage to come out to your parents and this is what counts. Well done!

Now that you have come out it might take some time to continue processing some of your anger, shame.and feeling of running after something you might have missed by not coming out sooner. For some, coming out just lifts off everything their shoulders. For others, they need time to work through the shame - and that's okay.

If you can, try to explore deeper from where the feelings you are experiening come from to start working through them.

lottaotter and Love2sleep like this.
  10. SunnyNarwal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, congrats!!
    Second, I completely relate to your conflicting feelings regarding your parent's response. I just came out to my parents as well. They took it relatively well, but I can't get over some of the very homophobic things they've said and done in the past. The take no accountability for any of it. It creates a very "weird" feeling when your parents treat you with kindness but believe some very hurtful things about gay people.
    I felt like crap for a couple of days and am only now feeling lighter. Maybe coming out is like removing a bullet, you feel really terrible before you get to feel better. Perhaps for you the "terrible" phase is a bit longer than it is for some others.

lottaotter likes this.
  11. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your reply. I just wondered what does 'working through' shame mean? It's probably a stupid question but I read articles about shame quite a bit and therapists I've seen in the past have told me to watch that video by Brené Brown about shame, but I still don't really get what I have to do. Thanks!

12. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, and congratulations to you too! It has only been 4 days now, and I don't feel as bad as yesterday or the day before. When I spoke to my parents last they said they basically thought that my coming out would 'solve a lot of my mental health problems' and I'm afraid it actually won't do much at all. It's not that simple. But I hate to disappoint them.

I am just thinking out loud here but I am feeling angry at the LGBTQ+ community too. All this time they said I ought to come out, that 'hiding' in the closet was ruining my life, that it was selfish and the root of all my problems, and our problems as a minority group. I didn't have high expectations but I'm angry because I've been told all along that this was my big moment.

Haha I always feel weird when ANYONE treats me with kindness haha

#12 lottaotter, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    SunnyNarwal likes this.
  13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What kind of strategies have therapists suggested to you to understand and work on the shame you are experiencing?

Working on it can include countering for example thoughts of not feeling good enough with affirming statements that you are; countering negative thoughts, statements. It could also include journaling about your thoughts, feelings and using that to gain further insights into the causes or underlying reasons for the shame.

lottaotter likes this.
  14. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You've been fed a steady diet of negative messaging about homosexuality from your family, friends, schools, and social circle for your entire life. This will take time for you to unravel all of this negative messaging. There is a part of you that still believes a lot of this internally, even subconsciously. You can be fully out of the closet and still be affected by internalized homophobia. That's where the shame comes in. These feelings you are having now about coming out are normal. You've been told that it should fix everything, and make you feel better. It didn't. The disclaimer that should accompany those messages that coming out will resolve these issues should be: "It will take time and patience for things to improve." You've been struggling with this for years, and it will take time to resolve the struggle.

There are common stages of the coming out process. In your postings, it seems you are around Stage 3-4.
    (Source: Matthewsplace.com)

Stage 1: Identity Confusion:
    This is the first stage where the individual struggles with who they are as a person. This stage is marked by suspicions and feelings of being different from the normativity practiced, accepted and preached by society. It is not uncommon to harbor questions over one’s sexuality or gender at this point. Subsequently, one ends up feeling alienated and detached from society without really knowing why. The identity confusion stage could last a period of up to several years and undoubtedly leads to further self-analysis and self-awareness.

Stage 2: Identity Comparison:
    This is the second stage of coming out where one begins to consider and rationalize the idea of same sex attractions. At this point, it is common to develop suspicions of being LGBTQ+ without really being sure of one’s gender or sexuality. At this stage, the individual is looking for any external connection that will validate his/ her feelings and identity. Sometimes they look to media and representation in film and television to learn from.

Stage 3: Identity Tolerance:
    At this stage, one begins to come to terms with one’s sexuality and can identify as gay or queer with increased confidence. At this juncture, however, one is yet to fully embrace their sexual identity with question marks still lingering over their place in society. Nonetheless, the individual begins to develop links with other members of LGBTQ+ communities as one attempts to find a positive self-identity. Often in this stage, one finds individuals with a similar sexual ideology but is still reluctant to proudly identify as LGBTQ+.

Stage 4: Identity Acceptance:
    This stage sees the individual get comfortable with who they are, thanks to their LGBTQ+ support system. The individual is now more at ease and embracing of their sexuality aided by a close circle of understanding friends or LGBTQ+ support groups. To the rest of society, however, the individual may still be reserved about exposing their true identity for fear of judgement and backlash.

Stage 5: Identity Pride:
    This stage is a product of the understanding and acceptance of one’s sexuality and gender. At this point, the LGBTQ+ individual is actively involved in causes that fight homophobia and transphobia. The individual carries out extensive research on LGBTQ+ matters to fully comprehend how to navigate an intolerant society. The frustration of being misunderstood and rejected by a heterosexual society fuels the individual to fight more passionately for their rights and that of others. At this stage, the individual is not afraid to be associated with LGBTQ+ or labeled as such by society.

Stage 6: Identity Synthesis:
    The final stage of coming out is marked by a sense of pride and peace at being LGBTQ+. At this juncture, one really does not care the opinions of others; the individual is simply concerned with living his/ her best life. The individual is unafraid to come out to his/her family, friends and the world at large. Despite the heteronormativity propagated by society, being LGBTQ+ at the synthesis stage can handle discrimination because they have found their voice and identity.

15. SunnyNarwal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea.. It's definitely unrealistic to expect everything to get better, and even though I believe coming out does lift a weight off, it's a gradual process, not instantaneous. For me, coming out raised a whole new hosts of stressors as well. Such as.. well..how to actually be a gay woman?
    I think that remaining in the closet long term is not the healthier choice. But that doesn't mean there isn't cons to being "out" as well. I just think that I'd rather be stressed and miserable while being myself then be stressed and miserable while being inauthentic. I think coming out kind of raises some new garbage that has to be sorted out before you feel relief. I'm glad to hear that you are starting to feel better, though!

lottaotter likes this.
  16. SunnyNarwal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for this! Very helpful information for myself as well.

17. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well to be honest they haven't said anything. I haven't got much out of therapy to be honest. I have been writing often about it. That's how I realised how messed up some of the ways I was treated were as a child. It was useful to try to access those memories again, and I was pleased that I didn't try to justify anyone's treatment of me.

I'm OK at identifying the causes of shame, I'm just never sure how to go about getting over the shame/getting rid of it.

18. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, that's helpful, if a bit depressing seeing how far behind I am. I definitely would love an LGBTQ+ support system haha- I don't know anyone who isn't straight apart from my one housemate who's bi, and she's not very emotionally mature or supportive. There's support out there but mostly for younger people (which really doesn't help my feelings of shame about being 27). Just venting now.

I've been trying to interact with more LGBTQ+ media and that has helped, although it takes nerves of steel sometimes when you're "old", not conventionally attractive and not really into the 'scene' haha

I'm sorry for asking for advice/help so much I know I must seem a bit useless and stupid but this is so alien to me and I could just do with someone to talk it all out with who doesn't treat me like a freak. Sorry for venting.

19. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! -this bit makes so much sense to me! I've missed out on all the stuff gay culture tells us we HAVE to do/see/experience/say when we come out at age 12 or whatever, and when people say "Be yourself", well I don't know who that is!

SunnyNarwal likes this.
  20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, I see. It is going to take some time. You will need to undo the shame that has manifested itself over the years, block by block as it were. Being able to identify the causes, having tools, like journaling and others, is already great. You have started to work on reinforcing different views of yourself and how you view past and current events.

As said, it will take some time but keep doing what you are doing and what you know is helping you.

One thing I would suggest is not to worry about 'how far behind you are.' You are not far behind nor behind in anything. Everbody accepts their sexuality, and comes out on their own terms. The only thing to worry about is how comfortable you feel with the steps you are taking.

And feel free to keep asking, venting. This is why we are here. :slight_smile:

lottaotter and SunnyNarwal like this.