1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this thinking LGBT or just open minded

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerryGoRoundMi, Nov 28, 2021.

1. MerryGoRoundMi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If a straight person says they have never been attracted to the same gender at all but are open to the possibility and don't want to definitvely say they are not attracted to the same gender, is this considered being LGBT or just open minded. Like they have no interest or desire.

2. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In that scenario, you should use whatever label they've asked you to use. If they didn't give you a label, then just don't use a label. If the person in question is yourself, use whichever label makes you comfortable. You seem to keep asking variations on this, wanting there to be these precise rules that don't exist (as far as labels). The hard and fast rule is to respect what people tell you about themselves and if they don't tell you, don't guess or assign a label for them (unless they've asked you to). That's the hard fast rule.

If you're asking for yourself, again, use whatever works for you. Only you can answer that question (if it's you).

#2 Unsure77, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    BiGemini87 and Rayland like this.
  3. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello again, @MerryGoRoundMi. You seem to be stuck on this line of thinking a fair bit; not a criticism, but an observation. :slight_smile: If you're asking regarding yourself, then only you can decide which label(s) fit you. As for other people, it's as @Unsure77 said--it's best to respect whatever label the person in question has assigned themselves.

If someone has never experienced attraction to the same sex but they don't want to say it'll never happen, then they're open-minded. Until they actual experience that attraction--if they ever do--there is nothing tying them to LGBT.

LostInDaydreams and Unsure77 like this.
  4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I already said some on this subject, so let me approach it as a person who said those exact words once. When I went away to college and got away from my homophobic family, I said "I'm straight, but if I fell in love with a woman, that would be okay." Three years later, a woman confessed that she had feelings for me.

And it hit me all at once. The hours we spent talking, the jealousy I felt when she told me she had feelings for someone and I thought it was someone else, the flirting--I had feelings for her too. We started dating and over the next few weeks I had a sexuality crisis that caused me to look back on my past with a new lens, especially the girl that I was very in love with in high school (I thought I just really wanted to be friends with her, I even dated her brother for a bit).

So, in my case, it wasn't open-minded. It was me unlocking the closet door so that my bisexuality could kick it down.