1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out even enough?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justmeisenough, May 16, 2022.

1. Justmeisenough

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my mom 2 times, the first time as bisexual and she didn't take that well but when I came out to her as lesbian 2 years after she was supportive. I was also healing and getting better mental health wise and internalized homophobia. Recently she started listen to this poster on a radio station and this morning he was preaching and all I heard was 'heal the evil spirits from lesbianism and perversion' I broke down. I felt so hurt and she acted so supportive like why. She evil continued listening after thar. I just think coming out isn't enough if I want support and love from my own mother

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I am sorry that has happened to you. Has your Mother been unsupportive since you heard her listing to the radio poster?
    Ultimately you can only do what you can do in regards to what your mother does but I wouldn't give up on everything just yet, it doesn't mean it is all going to be bad. Be proud of yourself for all the progress you have made.

Justmeisenough likes this.
  3. BiGemini87

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry that that happened, but maybe try to look at it from a different perspective: just because she's listening to this preacher or whatever he may be, doesn't mean she agrees with everything he says. Oftentimes, it's important to understand opposing views in order to better equip ourselves with counterarguments to them.

I think it's also important you talk to your mother about what being supportive of you means to her, and let her know how it felt to hear the preacher's words regarding something you have no control over.

Communication is essential, here. Only once you know all the facts will you know how to move forward.

Justmeisenough likes this.
  4. CatsAndDogs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @Justmeisenough - I am sorry to hear that your mom is not giving you the support you need and deserve. I have not come out to my parents yet, and I'm not expecting it to go well either if/when that time comes. But, if there is one thing I've learned during this experience so far, it's that we must find support from other people who can truly accept us, even if those people do not include the ones we thought we were closest to. Best of luck.