1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm thinking about using my sexuality in an essay for a summer program at princeton

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mind Freak, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mind Freak

I don't know if I should though. I'm kind of nervous about it. Lol. The topic is what am I hungry for and how will I obtain it and what are the most important aspects of the person I am and who I want to be.

I think it would be good to incorporate that into the essay because it's something that I can emotionally connect with and such. And I think it could help me stand out talking about something really personal like that.

So yeah. As usual I'm asking for feedback from you guys. Lol. I don't know what I would do without you. : )

#1 Mind Freak, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: I'm thinking about using my sexuality in an essay for a summer program at princet

Hi there! That's a great idea! Talking about who you are and what you want to be can be nicely connected to your experiences.

How about if you start writing it and try to connect the essay requirements (i.e. the question that you have to answer) and your sexuality/coming out process) and post it here. I think that could help us in providing you with some more feedback and help.

3. xander391

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: I'm thinking about using my sexuality in an essay for a summer program at princet

I think that would be an amazing entry essay! i wrote an essay a few weeks ago for my AP english class. we were all assigned to write a sample of what we would put in a memoir in the future. Our teacher wanted to enter the best ones in a writing contest. normally im not an amazing writer nor am i terrible so i wasn't expecting to be picked. i decided to write my memoir about how and to whom i came out to last year. Our essays only had to be about a page in length but mine ended up being 6 pages. i wrote about three separate instances where i came out, each using a different method to come out. each of the three stories intertwined at some point and it wasnt that bad. the first part was with my bff J, then my english teacher and then my other friend L. a couple days after J and i turned the memoirs in, our eng teacher wanted to see us after class. she told us that ours memoirs were the best out of the class and the best shes read in three years. i was really proud of my self it was awesome. Mrs. W asked us if she could share them with the class. i told her sorry but no and she understood but i did let her enter them in the contest. i wish i could let her read the paper to my class cuz it really conveys the pain, confusion and excitement i've felt for a long time, in the town i live in i would be surprised if they tried to lynch me. so yeah i think if you decided to write about ur sexuality it will make for a really strong ans emotional essay i wish u all the luck :slight_smile:

4. Becky1234

Out Status:
    A few people

I think it takes great courage to talk about truly personal issues in an essay, and not only will they be impressed with your courage, but also your openness and comfort in discussing a very important topic. I say, go for it. I also agree that if you are comfortable posting the essay up here, some of us can look it over and give you feedback. Good luck - I bet that will be an awesome summer program.

Alison

5. Mind Freak

Thanks for the input guys! I've decided to do that. I'm still kind of nervous but I'm sure it'll turn out great. : )

And I'll post it at some point, probably within the next week.

But thanks for the support! I really appreciate it.

6. Johnnieguy

I agree with the posters above me. I used my sexuality on an entrance essay for grad school, and it turned out VERY well.

7. Mind Freak

I was going to put the essay on here. But after I printed it and sent it my PC froze I had to turn it off. Word didn't save it this time. : (

I'm bummed. I wanted to show you guys! But I feel good about the essay. : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.