1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to buy a dildo. BUT!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by JessicaWolfess, Apr 5, 2014.

1. JessicaWolfess

Okay so there is a adult store that is semi-walking distance away from me, I am over 18 so it is not illegal to buy a dildo right? I'm also scarred what the cashiers think of me buying a dildo. I kinda hope It's a girl in her 20s cause she'd be more understanding of the situation than a 40 year old fat guy. Also how would I carry it home? should I bring my own bag and leave it at the register? I'm just really anxious and was wondering if anybody could give me advice on buying one?.

#1 JessicaWolfess, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. CuteZhemn

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah bag would be good. Be brave :slight_smile: Well who ever is there to give it to you. Its not gonna be world end for u :slight_smile: if u really want it. You should go for it. U can shop from internet aswell if u cant get yourself to go in the store.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

You should keep in mind, that a person working in a smut shop has probably seen some weird stuff from all walks of life, so I would doubt they would give you any weird looks for purchasing a dildo.
    Keep in mind that both straight and gay men use them, it's just more taboo for the straight guy to use it.
    So go on in there with your chin held high, because in a shop like that, being judged by anybody in there is probably the furthest thing from reality ^^

4. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, bring a bag, so you can take it home with you. They won't care at all, business is business, its a sex shop after all. It kinda saying a tattoo parlor won't do tattoo because they don't like the design you choose. Plus, if your that worried about it you could say it is a gift for your girlfriend.

5. JessicaWolfess

Thanks for the confidence bost....might just run in buy it and run out and stuff it in my bag asap.....and online really isn't a option for me as I live with parents who don't know I'm gay and I'd rather they not know by happening unpon my sexual shenanigans >w>

6. IsThisAName

Yeah, like others said, if someone is working in a sex shop, they won't look at you funny for buying a dildo. I mean, what else are you gonna buy in a sex shop--a candy bar? LOL don't be insecure about the fact that you're a guy buying one. For all they know, you could be a guy buying something for your girlfriend. They don't know why you're there or who it's for. Of all the things they see there, a young guy buying a dildo is nothing. :wink:

7. IG88

You could hide it in your butt! :roflmao: Hehe, but seriously I'm sure they'll have bags for you to stick your purchases in. That would seem like a basic amenity for that kind of shop.

Also, not only do you have to hide it going home, but also from your parents. Hopefully they're not the snooping type.

8. JessicaWolfess

Hiding it from parents is not a problem. And I'll bring my bag to stick it in on the way home. And I must admit you did make me chuckle abit

9. Hexagon

Don't be ashamed. I mean, I can understand why you'd want to avoid parents or neighbors seeing it, but don't get embarrassed inside the shop. Everyone inside is doing precisely the same as you, and the staff sell sex toys to everyone inside. They won't think anything of you. Just treat it as you would a purchase for anything else, and don't do that avoiding looking up from the floor thing that I suspect most people are tempted to.

And hey, they'll never see you again. They don't know your name, and it's completely anonymous. What's the harm?

10. Hopefilled

Guilt is undeserved. We own our bodies and if we want a dildo- that is our desire we are honoring.

I have been an enema user for both medical and sexual uses for much of my life, also needing to use pads/tampons and yes- diapers for IBS&Cancer entangled continence issues. If you think buying a dildo in a sex shop at age 20 is scary etc- envision a 15 year old boy needing to buy pursettes tampons, enema soap a large box of belted kotex. and trying to select a comfortable belt for them. Those items might need a bit of google-fu to identify if you're under some ages.. but the NEED to have something whether medical or sexual is the same stress.

And we simply can decide to live on our terms

11. SleepyT

Out Status:
    Some people
    People in a sex shop would likely never bat an eye at a guy coming in to buy a dildo. That's the business they're in, and I can guarantee, they've seen WAY weirder stuff. My husband has bought me dildos and vibrators before. For all they know, you're buying it for your girlfriend/wife.

12. JessicaWolfess

Ok thanks :slight_smile: So what should I use as lube?

13. anaisninja

You know you can buy that stuff online, right? I just bought one on amazon.com!

14. JessicaWolfess

I said earlier why online is not an option for me

15. AKTodd

As others have said, no one working at a sex shop is going to care what you buy. They almost certainly provide their own plain brown bags. No need to be embarrassed or act ashamed and that includes being fully upfront and casual about the fact that you are buying it for you, not an imaginary girlfriend. On a related note, I'd recommend looking on Amazon, even if you can't buy online. Amazon has a huge selection and includes customer reviews, which can be helpful when considering a purchase of something you intend to insert in your body and to use for sexual pleasure.

As far as lubes are concerned, something water based is probably best. The store will probably have a wide selection, including small sample sizes up near the counter. My recommendation is that you buy one or two of the sample sizes, or at least the smallest size you can that you think will provide enough for you to experiment a bit. Once you find a lube you like, you can always buy it in quantity.

Finally, when considering a dildo for anal play always be sure to get something that has a flange at the base or flares out or the like. Basically something to prevent it being sucked inside you. The muscles back there are surprisingly powerful once you get going and that is a trip to the ER you really don't want.

On a related note, you mention living with your parents. I will assume that hiding the toy is something you've already got covered. However, also bear in mind that you will need to clean it and let it dry a bit after each use, that lube can stain (another reason that water based is good, it cleans easily, although buying an extra towel or two just to put down before play time might be something to consider), and that a lubed up toy can make a bit of noise when being used...energetically. Just things to keep in mind and include in your planning.

Hope this helps,

Todd

starmotive likes this.
  16. anaisninja

Sorry, I just read the initial post.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why don't you buy them online it saves the hassle I buy all my dildos and sex toys online

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'd be surprised how understanding the average 40 year old guy working in a sex store is. Firstly, everything AKTodd said! They might ask you for ID, don't worry, you claim to be over the legal age, thus you should be allowed in. It's one thing to know it's perfectly okay and quite another to actually go inside the shop and buy the damn dildo. Have you ever thought about how terrified some other shoppers might be? The last thing on their minds would be paying attention to you! It's a bit like when you go to the men's bathroom - that kind of silent awkwardness. None of the people you meet in there will remember you a week from now. I promise you that. Unless you're dressed extremely odd or behave really strange... you'll be fine! If you meet somebody you know in there I doubt they'll want to kick up a fuss about it.

Don't be afraid to ask the workers if you have any questions. Most of them are cool folk, they probably won't be surprised if you're nervous. You can ask them what lube they recommenced for the dildo you buy. You're not pestering them, they're paid to provide a service, and it should only take a few minutes. If they react badly (which is rare!), then they're just being a jerk and/or having a bad day. Don't take it personally. If you can't bring yourself to do that then you can research online what is suitable for the material of the dildo. I buy a lot of stuff from hardware stores, and I'm glad most people think it's all for DIY! Honestly, sex stores still scare ME a bit. And I'm a kinkster that's enjoyed pretty crazy stuff. After the first time it is not such a big deal anymore. You might laugh at how scared you were.

19. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I'm sure no matter who it is they would be understanding. They've seen hundreds of people in and out of that store everyday and they all pretty much buy the same things. I would bring your own bag though.

20. JessicaWolfess

The dildo I'm planing to buy is a 5 inch one and is pretty much a perfect size for me, It has fake balls which I assume just stop it from going all the way in. And could just water or saliva work?