1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RayneFall, Dec 17, 2020.

1. RayneFall

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ive been dealing with depression and anxiety over 10 years now and that made it really hard for me to leave the house to go job hunting. In the end different family members gave me a job at their fish and chip shops and lastly ended up work with my parents who rented a chippy.

The place my parents rented the landlord was retiring and wanted to sell so i decided to find a job by myself without my family helping. It took me nearly 7months to get a job as a causal housekeeper at a hotel which I accepted. (I had a job offer before this for a warehouse position and I panicked over the phone and declined)

Anyways i was there for 5 months then covid happened and I was put on furlough since march. It was around that time i saw a therapist for my depression and anxiety. He was part of those free help line things so I saw him for 2 months. Back then things were slowly getting better, i was doing the things he suggested but as time went by, being stuck at home not knowing when ill go back to work or not began to affect me. I kept hoping after the lockdown restriction ease up ill go back to work.

But on the 4th of december I was told through zoom that the hotel went bankrupt and I was made redudant. Since then I have been wasting my time, lying in bed, playing on my phone when i wake up, going on the computer next and when i get bored go back in bed on my phone.

Like i know i should be searching for a new job but my anxiety just goes through the roof when i start looking around. I keep seeing ads for online course to learn new skills to get certain job roles and i think thats a great idea but still doesnt change the fact I cant really interact with people.

Also I recently came across an article about ADHD and i felt like i have those symptoms and took one of those online test where I scored 32/45 for ADHD. I don't know what to do with this information, like it wasn't bad enough I have to deal with depression and anxiety, now I might have ADHD too?

i went to reddit about adhd in adults and some people take medicine for it and im thinking do i need to as well? my therapist did suggest to me about taking medicine for depression and anxiety which i chose not too but now i dont know.

2. MaybeBoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time. It’s been a rough year even with mostly stable work so I can only imagine the struggle you’re going through.

I don’t have ADHD myself but know several people who do. For most of them medication has been a game changer. I can say the same for me in regards to meds for anxiety and depression. In the past I was hesitant to try medication (and therapy in general) but when I finally broke down and just went for it... one of the best choices I’ve ever made. If you’re really struggling I highly recommed working with a therapist to try and find a medication that works for you.

I hope you’re able to find a way to be more at peace soon.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    RayneFall.....Hello and just in case no one else has said it...Welcome to Empty Closets! You said it yourself that things were getting better when you were talking to the therapist. Please find a way to see a therapist and also talk to them about meds for depression. I take depression medication and they have made a big difference in my life. It takes a few weeks for the meds to take effect, but it is way worth it! In the meantime keep us updated on how you're doing...we do care!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am someone who has dealt with depression all of my life. I know that for myself during the times where I felt that I was not being a "productive citizen" my depression certainly increased, and just so you know from the time that I started trying to work until the time I was declared disabled was a bit over 20 years and during that time I worked a little over 10 years supporting myself.

You have already noted that being in therapy helps you so you should definitely keep that up, do the work it does help. While medication has never been helpful for me I do know quite a few people who have been helped by depression medications. Many of my friends say that they could not survive without them, if you have a professional suggesting them you should try them. They do take time to become effective and many people have to try several medications before finding the right one for them so do not give up too soon on them.

As far as possibly being ADD/ADHD, while it might be true and medication for that might help it would probably be best to first address the issue that you already are certain that you have, the depression. Then when that is somewhat under control you can see if those things that seem to fit ADD are still an issue and if they are go ahead and consult a professional on that. I only know two people who have tried medications for ADD/ADHD, one was a friend and the other was my exhusband. They worked fantastically for my friend but they caused serious emotional issues for my husband. As with depression medications you have to experiment to find out which one works for you, but only under professional supervision.

5. Hope10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi I think I might be able to help little bit actually I've been diagnosed with adhd since I was a child I am now 26 although officially I've never been diagnosed with depression I'd say it is something I have , I've went through many time periods of not taking the medicine for adhd and I can tell you for me it makes a huge difference I go from like you playing on my phone or computer all day and watching TV sometimes overeating to being able to get things done around the house or outside it's like I feel capable, I usually have anxiety when I'm off the adhd medicine because I want to do things but can not find the motivation within and yet I know they have to get done before taking any depression or anxiety medication I would talk to your therapist about getting tested for adhd because generally they will, and you may find that simply correcting the adhd which is a chemical imbalance similar to depression may actually help both those other things go away , I don't like interacting much with people either I prefer animals, but I do better with people on the medicine.