1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News How Voter ID Laws Curtail Gen Z Turnout

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mnguy, Nov 3, 2022.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's just laziness not the get a State issued ID. This is a "right of passage" and coming of age thing, at least it was when I was growing up. I couldn't wait to get to the DMV to get my license when I was 16. The same would have gone for just getting an ID card if I wasn't going to drive right away. All of my kids did the same thing. I just don't get it. Especially when they complain it's hard to vote or they can't vote. LOL. Sure you can you just have to get off your rump and go get a dang ID card, it's really easy.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol no, that's assuming everyone should be like you and your kids. Just bc you don't get it doesn't mean it's not very real for other people.

ID was never needed to vote in the past so conservatives should want to keep it that way, you know, keep things the same. There was never an actual problem for this to solve and has been admitted as another method to reduce minority voters of all kinds. It's another cheat they need to win since they can't win on policy issues, which they also admit.

How much have you read about the people who do have a hard time getting the ID? It still isn't needed in my state as we soundly rejected the attempt along with trying to exclude gay people from marriage. We need to reduce the hurdles to voting to get as many people engaged as possible, voting holiday, mail in, more polling places, RCV. If elections were really as fair as they could be, Dems would win so much lol

4. Moxely

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Every liberal democracy has voter ID. It’s a good way to secure elections. And other forms of ID can be used other than a drivers license. And of course the government can issue IDs to any citizen. It should not be a political issue - it’s a common sense issue. It will assure people that elections are not stolen. Partisans have politicized this.

5. BocciBee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not true? I don't actually know enough about voter ID laws to argue the pros and cons, but I do know Australia doesn't have them. Our previous prime minister tried to establish it and it was shot down very quickly. New Zealand doesn't have voter ID laws either.

#5 BocciBee, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  6. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The UK is bringing in voter ID laws. Exactly the same thing - the right wing know the demographics aren't on their side (their base is quite literally dying) so they need some other way to suppress our votes.

Beth