1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I ended up at EC

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by GreerCWolf, Nov 7, 2021.

1. GreerCWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yhello! new here.
    After researching bisexuality, I ended up here. I have to research since I am currently procrastina- I mean doing a journal critique. The journal is about a review of Charlotte Wolf and mostly her contribution towards bisexuality. her ideas for me are not ideal to my belief but meh. I ended up here since I searched for the term she coined "homoemotionality" and saw a thread leading to EC. and that's the story that lead to me here
    I also learned from her that bisexuals are oppressed/distrusted by both sexuality (Homo- and Hetero-) since the homo thinks they wanted a sense of normalcy and hetero being hetero(according to the study"not my words except for the paraphrasing cause that is what I understand"," not also my belief").
    Well anyway, I am an 18 yrs old confused bisexual and aromantic (I haven't felt the butterflies)(but may change later on). I'm out to everyone but am still forced to route the hetero style. I am the black sheep of the family and your typical awkward young adult. This community feels nice but I don't really message so yeah...

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

3. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, @GreerCWolf! :slight_smile: I hope you'll find some clarity here in the forums. If you want, you can post about your feelings/experiences in the Sexual Orientation sub-forum, or read through it and some of the other sub-forums to see if your experiences parallel others'.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HI and welcome! THe very fact you've joined and started sharing your experiences is a huge positive step.

I think your perspective about bi people often feeling distrust from others about their identity is pretty accurate. It also has some basis in fact, notbecause bisexual people are untrustworthy, but because a lot of folks, as they are exploring who they are and first realizing they may not be straight, initially adopt the 'bisexual' label because it's sort of safe; it allows them to acknowledge that they may not be completely straight, but also allows them to hold onto a part of the attraction to the opposite sex if they are unsure.

The problem comes when those who are actually gay adopt the bi label and continue to date the opposite sex because they aren't ready to come to terms with who they really are. it isn't their fault, but it can end up hurting the folks they date. The same can be said for folks who get into a same-sex relationship and get scared and then run back to the security of heterosexuality while still trying to process their feelings; they can end up hurting the person they are dating.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with folks who are legitimately bisexual. But anecdotally, it appears that the number of folks who are genuinely bisexual are outnumbered substantially by the folks who are using that label as a bridge... hence the distrust from those who have been burned by it in the past.

And of course, someone who is insecure is going to see someone bisexual as a double threat: not only does this person have to worry about their partner leaving them for a person of one sex, but for both. This can lead to jealousy and all sorts of complications.

So it's a bit of a mess. But the more society lets go of the stigma around sexual attraction and orientation, and the more people embrace accepting people for who they are, the less this will happen.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GreerCWolf.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: There is a sub-forum here titled “Sexual Orientation” if you post there I think you’ll find people who will understand what you are dealing with. As several other people have already said, being bisexual can at times cause both homosexual and heterosexual people to be cautious around you. Sometimes even rejecting you when they hear that you are "Bisexual". The bisexual label has been used too many times by people who weren't ready to to come out as gay, but were no longer able to claim to be straight. That has given the bisexual label a bad connotation so that those people who really are bi sometimes have trouble convincing others that they really are attracted to both sexes. Any way, I'd like to welcome you to our community of loving, caring and very supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community. You can ask questions in any of the Sub-forums by creating a new thread or by joining in a conversation-thread that is already going. You can also post a message on anyone's Profile Page after you have made at least ten posts yourself. If you have a question that is somewhat private you can always send a Private Message to any Staff Member. Normally Private Messages can only be exchanged between two Full Members, but a PM to a Staff Member is an exception. :old_wink: We are so glad that you have found us here on Empty Closets! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

#6 LostInDaydreams, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021