1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a crush but maintaining a friendship

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by GrumpyOldLady, Jun 20, 2021.

1. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just going to jump right in with my dilemma because it's the main reason I joined this site...I don't really know if I'm looking for advice or just need to get it off my chest with people who will understand so here goes.

I belong to a group of people who share an online activity. We live in different countries that are in a similar time zone so we have live chats and DM each other as well but we have never met in person. I have to add here that I've been in remote office for over a year due to covid so I haven't been getting a lot of personal interaction outside my immediate family, which probably made this group more important to me than otherwise.

I enjoy the group but there's one woman in particular with whom I hit it off really well and we got into a fairly intense exchange over DMs for a while; we consider ourselves friends even though we've never met in real life. The relationship was not one-sided, we were both into it, but there wasn't really anything romantic involved. At a certain point things went off a little between us over a misunderstanding, I talked to someone else in the group about it as well as with my friend and we've more or less resolved it but the whole thing really affected me a lot, to the point of sleepless nights, and I was a bit more intense about the whole thing than I should have been and didn't always respect her boundaries.

Now for the "I'm such an idiot" moment. I've been denying romantic attachment and making excuses, even joking around "haha people will think I'm in love" but...I guess I am. I was too stupid to recognize it but I'm in love with her and that's why it upset me so much, it's why I get jealous when she has other friends or (horrors) does something with them that I'm not part of. I've never really allowed myself to have a crush on a woman before so in a way I enjoy it but at the same time I'm not too sure where I should go from here.

This is not a relationship where anything could really happen romantically, I'm married to a man and although we haven't been lovers for a long time he's not open to having an open relationship yet. My friend is also 20 years younger than I am (I'm in my 50s), more or less straight, and doesn't live nearby. I don't know if she would reciprocate my affections but it's doubtful and I don't really think it's worth trying to find out because the chances of something happening between us is close to zero.

My big dilemma is...how do I keep up this friendship without overstepping any boundaries or being creepy about it? It would of course be easiest just to drop the friendship but I've always had a problem that my fear of falling in love with my female friends has prevented me from being close to them and I don't want to be doomed to never having close friends. I really do enjoy her friendship and I don't just want to give up but I can't really stop the feelings. I guess I'd just like to know what other people do in these situations.

Bastion, Landgirl and MistyMorn like this.
  2. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome!

This is a difficult situation for you. From what you wrote, it’s clear you do have an attachment to this lady. It seems to be a romantic connection on your part. Hard to give an opinion on your lady friend as I just have your side of things. Maybe you should think about how you can detach yourself from her in a romantic way and hopefully gain some clarity in how you really feel about her. Sometimes it is hard to separate crushing hard for someone and falling in love. If you do want a friendship with this lady then you have to detach your romantic emotions, if you don’t then you won’t be able to be a friend. You’ll continue to get jealous and have negative feelings when she dates or has other friends that do not include you. I suggest you take some time out, detach and see how you feel.
    Let me know how it works out and I wish you the very best of luck!

GrumpyOldLady and MistyMorn like this.
  3. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the reply!

Hmmm I think you might be right and it is more of a crush. I do like her very much as a person and as a friend, I admire her and think she's great but that's not necessarily romantic. The other feelings like the jealousy are just a little confusing; I don't want them to interfere with the rest, but I'm not sure how to detach them. I have taken a step back and made sure I interact with more people in the group so maybe it will help.

Love2sleep likes this.
  4. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you’ve made an excellent start and I’m glad you are starting to interact with other’s in the group. Jealousy is always a difficult emotion to get to grips with, try not to get consumed by it and remember it is just a passing emotion. You’ve got this.

GrumpyOldLady likes this.
  5. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in a very similar situation. I'm fact trying to muddle through managing a friendship with her right now. It's very hard and very confusing. Love2sleep is right on target with her advice so not much more I feel I can add other than know to there are others in the same boat!!

Love2sleep and GrumpyOldLady like this.
  6. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes it feels a little bit like being in high school again with all of the feels....I always assumed I'd have a handle on things by this age but ugh it's really hard. I'm trying to detach from it a little but it's really hard to do.

MistyMorn and Love2sleep like this.
  7. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don’t rush. There is no time limit.. unfortunately it’s a myth thinking the older you get the more apt you are at handling emotions! Remember to breathe and tell yourself how well you are doing, you may make mistakes and you may fail with grasping how you’re feeling, but so?! This is your journey and your path to walk. You will get there. Be kind to you ;0)

MistyMorn likes this.
  8. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep!! Absolutely relate! Got 4 years playing a very similar game with someone. I'm 46 two marriages and other relationships of course... Yup you would think I would have figured it out by now...

Know you're not alone!!!

9. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I figured it out...it's not really a crush. Our friendship started to become one-sided at some point, she started to reduce time spent with me and then starting doing stuff with other people from our groups without inviting me and telling inside jokes about things I missed out on. It triggered old fears of girls not wanting to be friends with me because they somehow "knew" I was lesbian and playing similar games of exclusion. So in the end I guess she just isn't really the friend I thought she was and my crush feelings came from the feeling that I was losing what to me was a real and valued friendship.

MistyMorn likes this.
  10. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm really sorry you had to go through this. Very immature way for her to handle things. The positive side is you were able to work it out for yourself! Now you can move on fresh with your life

Landgirl likes this.
  11. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This really does feel like high school again :confused:
    I don't even know what I feel anymore and it changes day to day, all I know is that I care about this lady in some way but I'm really insecure about myself so I have no idea how to interpret things correctly and since a lot of it is over text it's even harder to interpret. I wish there was some way to switch off all these feels so I could think rationally about it.

I don't know, maybe I need to have a serious talk with my husband. I think maybe I have a need for intimacy that I'm not really getting in our marriage and it's starting to become acute.

Landgirl and MistyMorn like this.
  12. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This whole thing is a process. Try not to be hard on yourself. Sometimes this whole journey feels like things are crashing down, and it just cuts to the core, but through that comes knowledge and self discovery. Without focusing on our inner journey we don't find our true selves. We're here for you to listen and support you. Focus on one step at a time. Give yourself some grace and time. Like my dad used to say Rome wasn't built in a day. Much love to you!!

Peterpangirl and GrumpyOldLady like this.
  13. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took a step back and did some self-reflection about negative feelings and memories I've been projecting into this relationship from past baggage and came to the conclusion that the best route was to reach out openly as a friend with all the (for me) vulnerability that entails. I did so and got a positive response in return so I think this is going to be ok. I'm not 100% sure about my feelings but I think I'll be able to figure out where to draw the boundaries there. I realize this seems like a quick conclusion but I've been struggling with it for a few months now, writing it out here has helped me get some perspective on it so thanks for your responses and advice!

Landgirl, Love2sleep and MistyMorn like this.
  14. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does feel to get things out here. I’m struggling myself regarding relationship issues, I should say non relationship issues. I’m trying to stay positive but it’s difficult. Letting go is hard.
    I think you are doing amazing, self reflection can be so helpful. It’s great to hear the positive responses you got from reaching out and opening up. Keep up the positivity!

Landgirl and GrumpyOldLady like this.
  15. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm hoping that if I can keep some perspective and not overthink things that it will work out (might be a bit of a challenge because my mind sometimes gets ahead of me :smile:).

I didn't tell her I had a crush on her but I did let her know how much I valued her and her friendship and that's what she responded positively to. I'm still unsure about my feelings but I think that's going to take a while to unpack because it's still pretty new to me. I haven't allowed myself to care this much about a female friend for a long time -- if ever -- so the boundaries are fuzzy.

Love2sleep likes this.
  16. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

#16 MistyMorn, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    GrumpyOldLady likes this.
  17. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry messed up the whole quoted reply lol

Love2sleep and GrumpyOldLady like this.
  18. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boundaries are a must or it’s a free for all! Gosh that sounded so wrong lol

MistyMorn and GrumpyOldLady like this.
  19. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every time I think things are going well something happens and I'm back to struggling.
    Things have been going well, we had a couple of good chats and I was able to ignore the crush side of it but then I said something wrong and now she's pulling back again. It's just so confusing because it's so hard to tell what I can say and not say, sometimes she'll be ok talking about something and then she won't and I'm just not noticing the clues. It just hurts so much sometimes, maybe it's just that I'm much more invested in our relationship than she is so things that I would ignore if she said them make her pull away from me. But it's really painful and I just don't know what to do. I ended up telling her how I felt in our chat (not the crush but that I liked her too much and it hurts a lot when she pulls away) because honestly I don't know if I can take this.

20. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The good thing here is that you were honest with her about how you feel when she does something unexpected or pulls away. Having boundaries and communicating them is always a difficult thing to do, though yet also an important one, no matter what kind of relationship it is.

Reading over the thread, I can't shake the felling that it would be good to give yourself a break from interacting with her. Having some time out, distance from her, might give you an opportunity to evaluate the relationship properly, and for you to ask yourself, what are you wanting and/or hoping to get out of the relationship. Being at the door of 'breaking point', and while having stronger feelings for her certainly doesn't make it easier, you owe it to yourself to evaluate and reflect on the friendship.

Bastion, Tightrope and GrumpyOldLady like this.