1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting on T and acne concerns, trans guys help please

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Volnev, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Volnev

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, for a bit of background I'm a trans male, 15, and I'm getting on testosterone soon. I look at changes that come with getting on T a lot, and one of the main ones listed is worsening of acne. And from what I've heard, a lot of trans guys do experience this in the first 6 months- 1 year of being on T. This is pretty damn concerning to me, not like not go on T concerning but enough to make me scared. My family and I have TERRIBLE acne. My Brother and Dad both were on Isotretinoin, a very potent acne drug that works very well but also has some bad side effects. I have gone to the dermatologist before and they prescribe me antibiotics (doxycycline) and Epiduo (Adapalene and Benzoyl Peroxide), which work decently but never fully clear up anything, and they don't put me on isotretinoin due to serious birth defects if I got pregnant (which wouldn't happen since I currently date somebody who was afab but that didn't really give them a good excuse). I'm on a pretty good skincare routine and it works well enough to keep terrible breakouts away, but I still suffer with a lot of acne.

So, I'm pretty scared that my acne will become HORRIBLE on T, and I don't really know what I should/will do? Like I said, I have a good skincare routine but I don't know what to do if my skin becomes worse. Would I go on Isotretinoin? Would the doctors even let me? I know this might be a lame concern but acne has destroyed my self esteem and I'm so scared to get it even worse. To any trans guys out there who suffered with acne, what did you do to keep your skin relatively clear? If you went on Isotretinoin what was that experience like? Any response is appreciated, thank you for reading.

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pregnant ar 15? Are they kidding? It’s more likely tho that they think you’re too young for isotretinoin and that your acne might back away on its own and the side effect might be worse for younger people too (it was the case for me). If your current doctor won’t let you take this medicine for reasons like pregnancy, which I suppose isn’t a danger if you’re dating afab folks, you can go to another doctor. I also heard this pregnancy argument from one doctor, which I find ridiculous - I’m unlikely to have a baby any soon in all kinds of ways.

I was lucky enough to not have bad side effects. It worked very well, but I was much older than you. However, a lot of people experience severe depression or joint pain from this medicine, your hair can fall out too if you don’t monitor the treatment properly, you have to do liver and cholesterol (it can cause strokes) blood tests while taking it, and can get sunburns easily, so you have to be careful and work closely with the doctor.

What also works for me is soaps with magnesium, sulphur, carbon. And peelings. And moistruizing creams - somehow, when the skin is moisturised enough, it doesn’t produce as much sebum.

And I’m not on T, I got powerful acne regardless and at age 20, so you never know... Antibiotics and meds applied on the skin worked for me only when used and the acne went back to how it used to be shortly after the antibiotic finished.