1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Neutral forms of boyfriend/girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by XXReye, Oct 4, 2011.

1. XXReye

So, there's a big chance I'm getting into a relationship soon.
    Since I'm gender neutral (and the person I like is questioning), I was trying to think of gender-neutral ways to refer to someone you're dating?
    "Partner" sounds too professional to me, and "lover" sounds a little serious and I don't like the connotations. Does anyone else have ideas?
    I get the feeling the person will just refer to me as "boyfriend" since that's how I present to people when I don't like explaining to them what gender neutral means. But it would be nice to have options!

2. seeksanctuary

"Other half", used in a playful tone, tends to work. Maybe ask them what they would prefer? :]

3. Aya McCabre

I've been wondering the same thing.... 'partner' implies a serious long-term relationship and there's really nothing to fill the gap until you reach that stage.

4. missyjustice

missyjustice Guest

i guess you two could just come up with unique names for each other that are more reflective of your personalities and the way you relate to each other as opposed to how society sees you. like a nickname of some sort but one that is indicative of a bond beyond friendship.

5. TheOtherBadHobb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The term I usually hear is SO - Significant Other - but it's not the most romantic and doesn't really roll off the tongue . . :/

6. XXReye

This is starting to look like the most viable option. All the other forms (significant other, partner, etc.) seem too serious/not light-hearted enough, or they make it look like I'm trying to intentionally hide the gender of the other person.
    I mean, I think it'll be a while before we discuss becoming "officially in a relationship" but I do want to have options for nice-sounding gender neutral names.

7. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In ASL it's common (at least around here!) to use "sweetheart", but unfortunately, that sounds a bit corny in spoken English.

My friends and I use "boo" which I'm guessing came from "beau" (male) but is used gender neutrally (Urban Dictionary defines it as such: Urban Dictionary: Boo).

8. just b urself

i know u said u dont like explainign this but what does gender neautral mean?sorry,u dont have to explain but im just a curious one and liek to know these things.

9. XXReye

It's not that I don't like explaining, it's just that I don't want to have to pause to give my life story to every new person I meet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Gender neutral is, to me, not feeling like you are either of the two binary genders (so, not male OR female). Gender neutral can also indicate a way of saying things that doesn't imply any gender. For instance saying "child" instead of "son" or "daughter".

I hadn't thought of "boo"! Beau sorta works too, in my opinion...doesn't seem as strictly male to me. I'm gonna start keeping a list of viable options :slight_smile: and then once we talk about making things official, I can start a conversation about it.

10. crazyhead

special friend!

11. Markio

Partners in crime!

...after bedtime. ;P

12. ShebbsIsAwesome

"We're dating"