1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender issues?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ifancythetrio, Jun 9, 2010.

1. One of my friends recently told me that she wishes she was more androgynous. Whenever we talk about gender, she always seems a bit sad and forlorn.

How do I show her that I support her and that I'm willing to talk about any issues she has? I have very little to no experience with gender issues.

2. Paragon

Paragon Guest

If I was in your situation I would start a casual conversation about it and ask her general questions, to find out more, but thats just me, thats probably bad advice X_x

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think one good approach would be to let her know that she can a) trust you and b) that she can come to you at anytime if and when she needs to talk to. Another approach would be to say to her 'I have noticed that when we talk about gender issues, that you are getting sad or show some emotions. Wondering if there is something you want to talk more more. If you do, know that I will always be here and ready to listen.'

It doesn't really matter if you have experience with gender issues. Sometimes, just listening and providing reassuring feedback and showing that you are someone safe to talk to, is as valuable and helpful as giving pointers on how to deal with things. Often times, when we talk out loud about things, we start to understand them better. We just need to know that the other person across from us is listening.

If you feel that the conversation gets to a point where you can see that is stressful or emotional for your friend to talk about it, comfort her and let her know that it is okay and maybe go for a walk. You could also suggest to her that she could try talking to a counselor at school or outside of school to address the issues that she is trying to understand.

Hope this helps a bit!

4. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Theres a great site called Lauras-playground thats very helpful just google it and the link will be there they serve TS-TV-CD and Andro as well as others