1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 'Don't Say Gay' Anti-Trans Bills Proposed in Iowa

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ushiromiya Red, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just wish everyone would stop and leave trans and non binary people alone !

2. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't agree more. I am so tired of these bigots trying to oppress us! Let us live our lives in peace! Whether we transition or not doesn't affect you.

3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Once I get out of this place I'll be extremely vocal agains bigots. I currently live with them and had to go back in the closet to keep the freedoms I have. It's astonishing and horrifying watching your own family turn on you like that with no warning, but I knew they weren't going to accept me (was told that to my face). It makes me vehementy angry hearing random people being transphobic or picking on trans people.

4. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One day you will get out and away from this place

5. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UPDATE: I will be going tomorrow to try to testify against these bills as they are entering the subcommittee stage. I'm not gonna lie when I say that I'm nervous as hell. But the reason I'm going is bigger than me. I may not have any kids in school but I knew what it was like to grow up with limited to no information about the LGBTQ+ community. I don't want these future Iowan students to go through the same ignorance I did. If I can have small part in trying to advocate for LGBTQ+ rights in my wretched homestate before I leave then that's what I'm going to do. It's scary as hell....but sometimes you have to do something for something that is bigger than yourself. This is bigger than me. This will affect hundreds of millions of current and future Iowans in school and they should have the rights to be themselves without fear, persecution and judgement. Wish me luck. I'm nervous as hell.

6. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also thank you to everyone who has replied so far to this thread, it means a lot to me.
    [​IMG]

7. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope it goes well

8. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too.....I hope it does go well too. Thank you. :blush:

9. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are you gonna do once your there ?

10. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gonna hopefully go testify against these bigoted bills that my homestate is proposing. If not, be supportive of those who will get a chance to testify.

11. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the good fight. No matter how it goes, you've done something exceedingly important just by standing up and being heard. Thank you for doing this.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're so courageous for doing this and really amazing! I can't wait to read how it was. Reminds me of Zach Wahls speaking for marriage equality some years ago in IA. You can do it and I hope the bill gets voted down in committee!

13. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to the subcommittees yesterday. Unfortunately, both bills passed through the subcommittee across GOP party lines. I was in the room and the testimonies of those that opposed the bills were raw and real. A couple testimonies tugged at my heart strings and made me almost cry. A couple people testifying against the bill were actual kids, one being a nonbinary middle schooler and the other a mother with her 8 year old trans daughter. The little girl cried and said that her classmates were being transphobic to her and she cried and said, "No I'm a girl." and said she didn't know what else to do. The nonbinary middle schooler said they had supportive school staff that helped shut down their bullying situation.

And of course there was the absolutely batshit crazy testimonies of those who were in favor of the bill. There were a few bill supporters' testimonies that made me want to cuss them out. It took all the self control to keep my mouth shut. That didn't keep me from shaking my head in disbelief. A lot of other people shared my sentiment too.

I honestly didn't end up getting a chance to testify but I was there as an advocate and I am very obviously very against these bills passing. I also went back up to the state building today for LGBTQ+ day on the hill. Over 100+ people showed up and the room was full of support for the LGBTQ+ community, a lot of the people that showed up to the rally were apart of the LGBTQ+ community themselves (like me). My voice is a bit hoarse from all the shouting and cheering I did. I even got to talk to one of my legislators about the impacts of how harmful these bills will be if passed. She was an ally and is very much against these bills passing as well. It was a very long but productive day. I went last year to talk to my legislators at the state building too. I don't mind going there as many times as it takes to protest hateful things being passed. So I went to the state building yesterday for the subcommittee hearings against the "Don't say gay/trans" bills and today to protest the same bills being passed. Overall, my week has been pretty busy so far.

Ironically, Zack Wahls was one of the speakers at the rally I attended today. He is still very much in favor for LGBTQ+ rights and is still our ally. There are a lot of legislators who are opposed to these bills passing.

14. SyIveon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunate the bill looks like it's going ahead, but it looks like a lot of opppozition against it.

15. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes the best you can do is simply to show up and be counted as a real human being. Esp talking to lawmakers in person.

Imagine if none of you had been there to voice your opposition.

I'm impressed by your commitment 'cos I know from what you've posted here that you're also going through tough times personally.

16. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What did the crazys that favor the bill say ?

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw he's a state senator that's awesome! Did he sound like someone who should be President? We need some new, charismatic candidates like President Kennedy and Obama again and get the large, younger population voting more to offset the regressives. Change is gonna come... Look at the people from all over the world fighting to just be.

#37 mnguy, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023