1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 'Don't Say Gay' Anti-Trans Bills Proposed in Iowa

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ushiromiya Red, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Republican Legislators in Iowa are proposing two bills that will be catastrophic for Iowa LGBTQ+ students. The first bill: House File 8 is basically a "Don't Say Gay" Bill that will limit/censor discussion/instruction on the topics of Sexual Orientation and gender identity for grades K-3rd or on a as need basis on what is deemed appropriate. Basically this bill, much like Florida's bill is vague when it comes to what is "age appropriate" and what isn't. It is essentially another attempt by the Iowa GOP to further censor LGBTQ+ youth in schools and make life harder for those who are LGBTQ+ and quite frankly, its freaking disgusting.

Then we have House File 9 which if passed will forbid schools from making accommodations for transgender students (for example: going by a different name/pronouns, using bathroom/locker rooms that align with the student's gender identity, etc.). However the school can make these accommodations if the student has written permission from the parent. This bill if passed can and will put young trans students in danger if they get outed in someway because of this bill because chances are some of these students do not live in a supportive environment with supportive parents.

I quite frankly think these bills are very disgusting and harmful and very much am against them passing. When I found about these bills being proposed, I about had a panic attack...I knew something like this would happen...I just didn't know it would be this soon. Putting this on here to spread awareness.

Link to the article: (click picture)[​IMG]

2. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for bringing these up and they're absolutely bs and ways to keep us "in our place", which is to not exist. One group of people keep trying to erase us through laws they keep pushing. They keep painting us as pedophiles and say any mention of being gay or trans or drag is attempted indoctrination and "grooming" kids. It's so insulting and disgusting what they keep saying about us, yet it will keep turning more people against us. The fools who believe the lies and vote against our existence.

Look at what groups are pushing these laws and who came up with them as it's the same people behind all this hate and copy pasted in each state they attack us. They are also funding and working against our rights in other countries, especially where it's already quite hostile for us. They are stupid people who are afraid rather than loving and won't believe me when I speak the truth. They keep clinging to the incorrect idea they know something lol.

4. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is so sick what there doing to LGBT youth !

5. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I couldn't have said it better myself. These right-wing politicians are trying to systematically oppress us through misinformation while using terms like "groomers" and "pedophiles" as catch all terms to dehumanize the lgbtq+ community. And quite frankly it is disgusting. If these monsters actually looked up the actual definitions of the words they're using against this, then they know that we're just out here living our lives and those words don't apply to us at all...but it's a tactic to dehumanize us. And it's very abhorren... But apparently that's grooming children or some BS like that. Yeah as someone who lives in one of these states, it makes me very angry and scared that it's going to oppresses further by trying to erase us from existence.

6. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, it's very sick what they're doing to LGBT youth. I couldn't agree more.

7. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad this stuff wasn't around when I was young but wasn't out then either

8. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh that's a good point. I don't think I was even aware of the LGBTQ+ community at the time when I was younger. I started learning about in my early to mid 20's when I started questioning myself. I feel so afraid for the young and upcoming potential trans and queer kids...they shouldn't have to suffer this type of discrimination.

9. SyIveon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, this is why I'm glad I live in Australia.

10. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The far-right / so-called-Christian nationalist movement know that they lost the war over gay marriage, and broad acceptance of gays and lesbians.

But transgender rights is a new frontier that they can still potentially dominate - especially when it involves children in any way. That's why they're focusing on education, sports and hormone treatment for minors.

It also means, unfortunately, that this fight is going to drag on for a very long time.

11. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This makes me angry. Children need help getting through their youth as trans kids, not more tearing down and censorship.

12. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. But they are being used as pawns by people who hate transgenderism of any kind - including transgender adults.

One of the easiest ways to *dehumanize* an enemy is to denounce them as a threat to children. In prison, the lowest-ranking inmates are typically pedophiles - no matter what crime you've committed, you probably rank above a child-abuser. For centuries the anti-Semtic blood libel claimed that Jews killed Christian boys to use their blood for rituals.

The only way to counter these ugly attacks is to have more transgender *role models* in all walks of life.

Greater compassion for trans children will only come if there is more acceptance of transgender adults.

That was how gays and lesbians won their rights, too - it only became safer-ish for gay and lesbian minors to come out after people began to acknowledge the humanity of their older parents and relatives.

#12 Incoming, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  13. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What you mean ?

14. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate to seem nihilistic here, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime- and if I'm like my grandparents were I could live for another 80+ years. It will take every trans activist we have now and likely every single trans person taking up trans activism to get things where they need to be within the next century.

15. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I dont get is why people are acting why trans is a new thing ?

#15 Jakebusman, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  16. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also don't get that either myself. Trans people have been around since the dawn of time. It's only in recent years (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) that information about being transgender is more readily available, and maybe this is why people feel safer coming out as trans because they now have the words to describe their feelings. This is just my guess anyways.

This is what lead me to coming out, I finally had words for feelings couldn't describe growing up...and a lot of kids in this new generation have more resources than I did as a kid. I envy them in a way. And of course the right needs somebody to scapegoat to make themselves look superior which is absolutely bloody disgusting.

The right is trying to spread misinformation to dehumanize trans people and the LGBTQ+ community at large. All in the name of religion, so called morals, and "protecting the children" when in reality, these type of anti LGBT laws and mindsets end up hurting children more and forcing them down a very dark path and a road to faulty mental health that will lead to years of therapy (especially if their parents aren't supportive of their kids being LGBT+)....but I digress.

I'm not sure why people are acting like trans is a new fangled thing. We've always been around since the dawn of time and will continue to be here for a long time more. The GOP hateful bigots ain't gonna stop us.

17. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people I hear there calling it a fad

18. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I've heard that one too. But it's not, these people who think that are wrong because trans people have been around forever....I don't give these people any credence.

19. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm not mistaken, some traditional cultures embraced gender-bending members of their tribes as *shamans* - believing that they had extraordinary powers to communicate with gods or to alter nature...

Transgender people may not be new, but what's different today is that they are demanding legal and political rights. Plus, medical advances like hormone therapy and surgery allow even minors to transition. All this is unprecedented.

So the backlash isn't surprising. It would be worse except that the far-right has been more preoccupied with abortion, immigration and MAGA conspiracy theories,

You have to be really strong to endure as a trans person in a a climate like this - and bigots find that strength terrifying !

20. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You make some very excellent points here. You're right about the backlash, information and medical services for trans people are more readily available as well as the science to back it up. Although it's highly doubtful minors are going to get gender affirming surgeries unless it's a special case and they have permission from their parents of course. I could be wrong in this regard. And also the alt Reich needs a community to scapegoat too....

But this is why we keep fighting...I hope someday in the near future trans people will have more protections and equal access to healthcare, human rights, and have the right to live their lives with dignity and respect. As a trans person myself, I hope this can be a reality. Until then, I refuse to go back into the closet and go back to living a cursed life where I didn't know who I was.

You're so right! I'm doing my best to endure as best as I can. I figure everyday I'm breathing is a dunk on these bigots.