1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the environment where you live or grew is/was supportive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KYSS, Nov 29, 2016.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My city is hit or miss. The urban areas are mostly gay-friendly, especially the ones that feature a younger demographic. While the suburbs, at least the ones that I grew up in are conservative. They are mostly old-school catholic. Many are not just anti-gay, but also think that all (or at least most) minorities and poor people are criminals.

2. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I live in a pretty liberal part of my state.

3. wysiwyg1212

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grew up in Zimbabwe, with Mugabe and his hatred of gays. Didn't come out til I moved to Australia when I was 21yrs old.

4. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes and no. The high school I went to wasn't exactly hateful towards the LGBTQ+ community, but they certainly weren't nice to them either. One guy who was brave enough to come out as FtM trans got ridiculed and whispered about behind his back, but as far as I know, there wasn't any violence towards him.

My sixth form, on the other hand, was very accepting! Several of my friends were bi (probably because our friendship group had formed out of the social rejects), and one of the most popular guys there was openly gay.

The village where I live, I'm not too sure about. On one hand, it's a fairly affluent village in the countryside. On the other hand, there are way more pubs here than there are churches. People kind of keep to themselves, and it isn't an area where the residents really interact much - so there isn't any open support for LGBTQ+ people, or racial minorities or anything, but at the same time, there isn't anything hateful, either. I guess it depends on who you talk to (there is a gay man living on my street, and nobody really comments on him beyond the normal stuff that you say about your neighbours).

5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sort of? Most people don't have a strong opinion about LGBT people where I live.

6. Goyangi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Where I live, being gay is perfectly fine. So much so that there's a section of downtown known as the Gayborhood. I'm terrified that I'll get kicked out of my house if I tell my parents that I'm a lesbian but my siblings, friends, teachers, everyone else is fine. Except church folk. The last time I went to church, the old ladies tried to drag me into the back to pray. One was sitting next to me and asking me if I was okay with going to hell. I haven't been to church since.

7. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    it seems like I live in a bit of a grey area...I live in the southern united states which a lot of people associate with homophobic conservative bible belt ignorant hicks ( I could go on) don't get me wrong there are a lot of people who think like that but there are also a lot of people who don't, almost seems 50/50, I live just outside of little rock Arkansas, it's not a small town but it's not a big metropolitan area. It does seem like the bigger the city the more liberal people are and the smaller the town the more conservative people are, at least around here. I kinda live between that. As far as family goes, my mother is the only one I've never heard say anything bad about lgbt people, well and my younger brother, he's only 16 and my dad hasn't gotten to him yet lol the people in my family aren't hateful, they just don't approve of it (their Christians)