1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the environment where you live or grew is/was supportive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KYSS, Nov 29, 2016.

1. KYSS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean your hometown, country and the like.
    Mine sure isn't. But I'd like to know about your stories and experiences. As well as the people you were/are close to.

2. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha yeah I'm in western washington which is pretty liberal I suppose

3. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, South Carolina... I don't know. I think most of it is conservative...that's probably not good for me...is it?

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Surrounded by homophobes AND some LGBT folks that shows the bad sides of us fueling the anger of those homophobes.

5. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In general, I doubt it considering I live in the South (USA). Reasons why I tend to stick to myself, unless I'm at work.

#5 Blood Elf, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hhhhhahahhahahahahha no. If we're talking about town, state, country, then no. As for smaller environments like the family I live with and friends I'm around then for the most part, yes, but with some discrepancies here and there.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. No hate crime laws here, plenty of hate groups however. Lots of confederate battle flags... Fox "news" and the Pat Robertson constantly on the TV, "Trump/Pence" stickers on every corner, some advertisements for conversion "therapy"...

I'm essentially right in the heart of it. Though I suppose as far as this deranged nation goes Indiana and North Carolina are worse, with even bigger nutjobs like Pence running them.

8. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up in the most liberal city in my state (Kentucky) and went to the most liberal high school in the city which also just so happened to be in the most liberal part of the city. There were plenty of things I lucked out on while I still had some horrible stuff to deal with unrelated to my environment.

#8 kibou97, Nov 29, 2016
  9. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends..
    On one hand there are more than a few homophobes, on the other there are a kinda ridiculous amount of lgbt teens here. Excluding myself there are five bisexuals, one of whom is gender fluid & another who crossdresser on occassion, one lesbian, and one transgirl just withing and that's only people I've talked to personally

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2016 at 04:06 PM ----------

Also, keep in mind that this is also a rather small town.

10. Guff

I personally live in a small-ish town and am homeschooled and apart of a homeschooler community that's ridiculously strict. The kinda strict where people who do yoga get kicked out because it originated in Buddhism even if it's not used for worship. LOL
    There's a road sign near my home that says Fags get AIDS that I walk by every day. I've been called a Faggot by random strangers who than lit my jacket I was wearing on fire. My brother hit me in the face when I came out to him. My mother has forced me to do some conversion therapy. A straight guy got kicked off my soccer team for not wearing a shirt, because parents worried it might "make someone gay". I've been called a faggot so many times by so many people. I've come out to 4 different therapist, 2 told me I'm going to hell.
    I really wanna move someday

11. KSatt

Wow, Guff. I'm so sorry you've had those experiences. I wish I could say it surprises me, but that's unfortunately about what I'd expect in most of KY, aside from the outright violence you've endured. There is no accounting for people just being horrible to someone like that.
    Burai97, I'm glad you've been fortunate enough to live in a part of our state that is more open-minded and accepting. I could probably guess the general area where you live because that isn't the prevailing attitude in most of the state. However, I won't make a guess as to your location.
    I personally live in an area that is extremely homophobic.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out over 20 years ago in Utah. So I suppose you would have to say it wasn't a particularly supportive environment but the thing I will say is that, while it was an awful environment to be closeted in, once I came out it was really kind of alright--people came around remarkably quickly, even way back then.

13. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My life has been rocky but I've been insanely fortunate to grow up in a place more accepting of LGBT issues than other places in KY. I hope you and Guff can eventually be in a place that is more accepting of LGBT issues.

#13 kibou97, Nov 29, 2016
  14. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in NJ and being gay is definitely acceptable . Hell , our town was featured on WWYD on LGBT adoption and people were super accepted on the LGBT communities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85g6DQ4H1g&t=430s

Wish to say for my school on People with developmental / mental disabilities . Very discriminatory on that end

Also, If my high school found out , they would be blabbering on it to my dad because of said disabilities . That is not good and made me feel isolated a bit x.x

15. KYSS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Guff I'm sorry you have to endure that kind of bbehavior, it's depressing how much of an asshole people can be. That way of thinking makes me really angry. Some of them still believe we are in the middle ages it seems...

But well it's a phobia a fear that has no reason at all. So of course you can't be reasonable not even rational.

Hope some day you can get out of there.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up in the most conservative part of a conservative state in the USA. My family belongs to a very conservative religious sect. The older children of the family were however allowed to go to public school, but later on my mother converted to home schooling, so the younger children were home schooled. The public school was not a good environment to enhance the religion my parents practiced, as the other children were sometimes not a good influence. Also the schools such dangerous things like birth control, or that a girl could actually be single and have a career after HS, instead of marrying and having children, evolution, or that the earth is billions of years old, instead of thousands. :rolle:

A boy at school that was merely accused by someone of being gay was beaten up over it. My first girlfriend came out of the closet at school after kissing her new girlfriend, and had to go to the principals office, where he called her mother in. (claiming her public display of affection was "disruptive.") Her parents belong to the same church, and the minister advised them to send her to a place where they did conversion therapy, where they pray the gay out of you. (although mere praying isn't the only part of it). There was nothing funny about it, like in the movie But I'm a cheerleader. :frowning2: Her new GF was attacked by a gang of boys in her home after the incident, and her parents moved after that. So no, not supportive.

17. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your therapists should not be saying your going to hell . I would recommend reporting them to psychological associations and get their license stripped immidiantly . No one should be abused like you were and I wish people will be more accepting :C

18. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Generally in South Africa, it's pretty supportive and open. I came out in 2005 and by the end of that year, same-sex marriage was legalised, making South Africa the first (and to date, only) African country to do so. That being said, there are areas where one would not be open ... usually smaller towns etc. I live in Cape Town and it's been named the most gay friendly city in SA. Other cities are just as friendly though. Because we are also such a multicultural country, some cultures still don't totally accept it and there are still some attacks/fights in rural areas.

19. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in my 20's being gay was illegal. Four teenagers got a suspended sentence after beating a gay man to death! (That case kick-started our LGBT rights campaign), so Ireland was not a great place to be gay in.
    In my late twenties I expressed doubts over my sexuality to my parents.They were very supportive.

Now this country is generally very supportive of gay and trans people. In the Dublin area it is not uncommon to see two guys holding hands or showing other forms of displays of affection.
    So things have changed totally in this country. ( But there are still one or two homophobic people around. )
    Overall nobody is that concerned about other people's orientation. Everyone is accepted for who they are.

(!)

20. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in a small city that for the most part is pretty conservative, I think most people here disagree with homosexuality, but I've heard very few people actually come out and be hateful about the LGBT.