1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does coming out to a person of the same gender change the way they treat you?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by aceofnoise23, May 29, 2011.

1. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My title is my question.I just want to know from personal experience, because me and my best friend are going down to the shore together next week and I really think that would be a good time to tell him. Any help?

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Sometimes it does just because the other person gets afraid you might like them. Its a common thing, quite ridiculous, but common. You simply have to make it clear to him that you don't like him like that and it should be fine. Other than that it should matter at all :slight_smile:

Good luck telling them :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It didn't with me. I helps if you make things clear that you're not coming out to them because you're hoping that they're gay too, and that you're hoping something will result from it. I don't think bringing that up is necessarily the best way. Just say something like "It's taken me some time to get used to the idea, and I think it's time I started telling people. I figured you should be one of the first people I told, since we're good friends, and I feel I can trust you with this information."

Lex

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At first, it might be a bit of a shock as they might be a bit more self-conscious around you (and you might also be a bit more self-conscious around them). I certainly had at least one friend that kept a bit more of a distance than he normally did at first.

But once they get used to the idea, I've found it normalises pretty fast. A few hours or days of awkwardness are worth the feeling of being out in the end.

The trick is to be as matter-of-factly as possible. Lex's way of phrasing it sounds perfect, really. Don't apologise for it and don't start off by enying you're in love with them (randomly denying stuff always makes people feel you're really admitting stuff). You're coming out because you don't like lying to your friends and that's it. Next stop: ice cream parlour! :wink:

5. Mogget

I only actively "came out" to one male friend, the others just happened along the way, a dropped comment or somesuch. And in his case, it made no difference, didn't even have to say I wasn't attracted to him (and honestly, in his case, ew, it would've been like having sex with a brother).

6. borntosurvive

I didn't have any noticeable changes when I came out to my best friend who's a guy. It pretty much was just awkward for about fifteen minutes and then afterwards everything was completely normal again.

7. whatsnormal7

I have only come out to one person and I was afraid that it might change our friendship but it didnt at all! I asked her things like "can I still say I love you", and "I want you to be honest, will this change our relationship". She was totally fine with it and didnt see any reason for anything to change. I hope you have the same experience! :kiss:

8. stageone

So far, so good :slight_smile:
    My situation might be easier though because 1) I'm female, and 2) I'm old(er) and my friends are already pretty secure in who they are

9. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks all for your advice! I've decided I'm deff gonna tell him at the shore now that it seems a lot of you have had pretty good outcomes. :slight_smile:

10. IanGallagher

I haven't experience that much difference. You're, whether gay or bi, become treated as the "gay" friend which was weird for a while. For example, my best friend saying one night at a club that he 'knew' one of us would want to 'get' with him. But, now I joke around as myself and can say "he's cute" or "she's cute" with no one really batting an eye. I can finally be gender-blind publicly. Which is worth it.

11. silentsound

I was definitely bracing myself for awkwardness/ my female friends being uncomfortable after I told them, but I have yet to have a bad reaction. If you're worried you can clarify that you're not interested in them but really just act normal & they'll do the same.

Good luck!

12. Alors

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with all previous posts, it's perfectly ordinary for them to react a little adverse. If there're cool with it then great, nothing changes about your friendship. if they're not and they worry that you're going to hit on them, i would remind them that they wouldn't hit on every girl they met or knew, and it's not any different for gays. It usually helps them to understand a little better :slight_smile:
    I hope it all goes well for you xx

13. Giorria

Giorria Guest

Its all dependant on the person you are telling, everyone is their own person and has their own thoughts. As said above some will treat you different because they might think that you like them but you just have to reassure them that you don't think of them like that.

I've had a few different reactions to the news that I'm gay from other guys, most of them have treated me the same as before but 1 or 2 have been slightly different and I've only had 1 person that hates it but they aren't worth my time.