1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does autosexuality exist?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Canterpiece, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it real?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Canterpiece.....I have no idea if autosexuality is a recognized term. Actually I rather doubt that it is. However, I have referred to myself as "autosexual" a few times. I am 71 years old. I came out here on Empty Closets in 2014 at 64. At my age sexual libido usually diminishes significantly, however mine has not. I am married to a wonderful woman who accepted me when I came out to her in 2016. I am not able to be intimate with a woman at this point in my life due to health issues (fused back) and the simple fact that, having accepted that I am and always have been gay, it is simply impossible for me to do so. Therefore I have to deal with my rather active libido myself which is why I called myself "autosexual". I don't find it to be embarrassing at all, it's just the way things are. I am rather glad that there are alternatives for both myself and my wife (what she does or does not is private to her) as becoming a new father at this point in my life is seriously scary! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question I would ask is, is it real to whom? To the individual, who chooses to label him or herself as something rather niche and unique it may seem real, but to wider society it probably seems confusing, and frankly, weird.

Is it a label that is evidence based, grounded in good research and beneficial to many? The simple answer is no. It's more likely that such a label, if promoted, would do great harm to confused and vulnerable people. As Empty Closets exists to support and assist confused and vulnerable people we cannot endorse or otherwise recommend labels like these.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Admittedly, I had ulterior motives when I made this thread and for that I apologise. It was my attempt at making sense of my intrusive thoughts, but after sleeping on it, I've realised that it does not matter whether or not other people use this label as it should not affect me. I have pretty bad intrusive thoughts about vanity, self-image and being a bad person. There are things I have been taught that I'm trying to unlearn. It's complicated, but a part of me had hoped that a resounding no to this question would put my mind at ease. However, I've come to realise that I cannot rely on that, there are always going to people out there who use this label regardless of whether it is valid or not. I can't spiral every time I come across the term on the internet, that just means going in circles with the associated thoughts and not getting anywhere. I need to detach my identity and sense of self from what others are doing. For the record, I'm not autosexual.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Canterpiece I get a bit of where you're coming from; once you reach the understanding that many of the labels used by people today are (largely) unnecessary, especially given their correlation to established ones, it does tend to rankle a bit every time you see yet another person using them. You're on the right track, working to ignore these things for your own peace of mind.

I would say as a sexual orientation, no; it doesn't exist in that sense. But as a condition or lifestyle choice? Sure. I think there are many labels that ascribe to the latter, but too many individuals that try to put them in the former.

Canterpiece likes this.
  6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Canterpiece.....I should probably clarify what I said in my earlier post. I don't label myself as "autosexual". I'm gay. Stop. However, as a lifestyle choice (thanks @BiGemini87) I think it applies. Simple as that! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

BiGemini87 and Canterpiece like this.