1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel like part of the lgbt community?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 22, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am really surprised at how quickly after coming out I started to feel like this is my community, that it represents me, among many other people.

I think going to the lgbt event nearby (where everyone came from a range of backgrounds) and speaking with my lgbt friendly counsellor (my lgbt center had placards that say "yes, you are bi enough", and deluging myself with lgbt news on my news feed, and of course coming out to my loved ones, all of that makes me feel quite a part of it. I feel lucky to be a part of what feels so far to be such a warm, inclusive community.

What are your experiences?

2. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not at all.

No events here, one gay friend. No real ties to the community but i don't feel part of the straight community either.

3. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    over here there is no lgbt community.
    But online I sure feel like a member of the lgbt community online,which makes sense since am only out online

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do I feel like part of the LGBT+ community?
    Yes I suppose so. Obviously being here on EC is a big part of it, and really meaningful to me.

As for offline:
    I haven't been to a lot of major events (eg I've never actually been to Pride...yet), but I am part of the local GSA/LGBT+ group, where I've met quite a few people in the community, and we do discuss things/host a few smaller events here and there. And I'm not even directly out to anyone about anything. I suppose people in the group either just assume I'm some part of being LGBT+ sexuality/genderwise even though nobody really knows what part, or they assume I'm just a really passionate ally.

I think once I actually come out to some people, and attend some more events perhaps, I'll be able to be part of the community more in that sense, and I'm looking forward to that.

I'm also moving soon to a slightly more LGBT+ friendly and open area, with more groups and events, so that might be a good step to take as well.

Glad you've had such a good experience in the community, it's great to hear (*hug*)

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's tough when you don't live in an urban centre, and a progressive one at that. I think I was really ready to come out at this point in my life (finally) because everything just started to fall in place. Much different than when I was trying to start this journey at 23...and then went back into the closet/place of personal denial.

I also don't feel things are reflected in my life as much as I want because of being married and all the extra confusion that brings.

But I love the LGBT community. I was bracing myself before attending the event near me (I've only been to one), so maybe I'm like a kid who just wants to believe I'm "in", but my feelings have shifted tremendously in the last couple of months in terms of feelings sbout where I belong.

The online community counts slot to me btw, EC has been a huge source of comfort and belonging for me.

6. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel like... not really. I don't go to events and only have one gay friend. I get criticized for it sometimes ("you should be out there waving the rainbow flag with 'your people'! "), but it's just not who I am. It's not that I'm ashamed, but I just don't feel like flaunting my sexuality, you know?

I'll be there for any that needs help with their sexuality because I can relate, but I don't plan on going to any parades soon.

7. CapColors

I think that's totally fine. If you think about it it is kind of weird that our political identity is centered around our sexuality, which is largely private for most people. (As opposed to gender and race, which are public identities because they can't for the most part be made private.)

Not weird like shameful! Just atypical.

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure how to define community. I think it is what you make of it. Is having a few gay friends consistent with being part of a community? Does going to a gay bar mean your part of the community? Does walking in a pride parade mean your part of a community? Or is participating in a philanthropic organization make it so (even participating on EC come to think of it)?

I do all of these, but I actually do not believe I am part of an LGBT community. I think "community" is used as a throw away term for anything LGBT related, but I do not believe it really exists as such.

Does that make any sense?

9. rachael1954

I made a conscious effort to connect with the LGBT community, and now I have many wonderful friends. It wasn't really even an effort, more like a drive that I had to find people to understand me and who I could understand. I still have that drive, and I only want to hang around them. I can't bear to be around straight people really, although the queer people I hang with can usually pass for straight undetected. (As can I) I think of community as who my friends are, who do I look to for social interaction.

Lately though, my gf and my husband have been commenting on how butch I'm dressing - ha! I can glam it up from lipstick to heels and the next day reverse it. I guess I'm figuring out who I am? But while the glamorous look makes me feel sexy and attractive to the world and myself, the other, more androgynous look feels relaxed and comfortable, not like I'm playing a role. It's funny when people comment on it or on my body posture when I'm lounging like a guy or whatever.

I am with CapColors on the political thing. I will go further and say it's freaking annoying that if I'm bi/gay that means I'm a liberal pot-smoking vegan. (I have nothing against liberals, pot smoking, or veganism)

I understand there's a whole history there with the Stonewall and everything but as we gain rights like the one to be married, aren't we freer to loosen our grip on one political party? (Personally my political affiliation is "agnostic" ha, so don't worry. I think they're mostly a bunch of liars and crooks.)

Yes there is a long way to go with laws, employment, social acceptance, but I am generally optimistic on that front when you consider that kids these days see "gay" everywhere in the media at least, and that hopefully means less people in the LGBT later in life forum 20 years from now. </gets off soap box>

#9 rachael1954, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  10. CameOutSwinging

This makes total sense to me.

I think a lot about wanting more gay friends. But that is strictly because it would be nice to know more people who I can be open with who "get it" for lack of a better term. But I don't know that I have a desire to be part of a "community." Like you said though, it's all in how you define community I suppose.

11. SnowshoeGeek

As a rule I don't get much involved with "groups" since I inevitably find some amount of "groupthink" in them. But what I take away from my exposure to the "community" is the role models of people accepting and being happy with who they are, not afraid of hiding it. This seems to have helped me be happier being who I am, queerish, but I am also someone who probably doesn't agree with what I perceive to be the political agenda of said community...

I like people who go through life unafraid and like to associate with them. As far as joining the quest to accomplish various things in the world... I'll probably pass. My goal is to have peace and add one more voice of courage in my own sphere of influence for others who might be struggling with their own identity.

And I am all about the plaid and "manspreading" these days. (!)

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, hugely, and happily so!

13. Distant Echo

Online? Yes. I feel at home here.
    IRL ? There isn't a LGBT community around me to be part of.

14. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess what I'm feeling isn't exactly like Ive made lots of connections in the community, that's something I want to do because I do feel a need to connect to others who have similar experiences. I'm not there yet and I don't imagine I will be for a while.

What I'm feeling is more a sense of acceptance and validation from the little connections ive had. And I feel a sense of growing comfort in my identity as bi, and when reading lgbt centered media, for example, I dong feel like I'm ftom the outside looking in.

I think maybe my bar is low because I was feeling so isolated and so in my shell, that the forward momentum in this area is comforting. I also think that I have very little I can do to feel connected to this part of my identity so I cherish the things that feel positive.

15. MissNicole

My friends that aren't local, the IRC servers I go on and this site are the only ways that I'm 'in' the community. I plan on going to local meets, but it's finding them, finding time and then effort.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally feel like part of the LGBT community. I would probably go so far as to say that it is my strongest group affiliation. When I think "my people" it's who I mean. I can be just about anywhere, or at least I suppose anywhere I go, and find my people and when I meet another member of the community I really do feel like "oh, she's one of us.". In my experience others have seemed to feel that way about me. It's been a profound blessing on my life.

17. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. Tried but have not connected with people yet.

18. Logan40

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm still trying to find it. I'm not really into the whole club scene and while I have attended one meet-up, there doesn't seem to be a way yet that I've figured out as a 42 year old women to break in.

19. Beebop

Beebop Guest

No. Not really. Like every other community, there are exclusionary behaviors that are practiced which keep some would-be members from feeling included. The LGBT community is no different in those regards.

20. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm getting better at identifying myself as gay and part of a gay community. That doesn't mean I have a big gay network in real life, though--just don't think that's available here. But it's a start.