1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do movies ever trigger your anxiety?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TinyWerewolf, Dec 5, 2021.

1. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Every now and then I'll be watching a movie with my family and the storyline just makes me anxious as hell. I just watched United 93 (a movie about the plane that crashed on 9/11) and it freaked me out. The same thing happened when I watched Greenland a while back and that never happened in real life. While I'm aware we're not guaranteed tomorrow, these movies terrified me (and I like horror movies just fine for the most part). I don't know why I'm like this.

2. Loves books

I logically know that horror movies are fake but we have feral cats that sound like crying children at night ( I almost had a heart attack when I heard it the first time). Any movie or t.v show involving home invasion terrifies me. I’m always convinced every strange noise I hear could be a person, I was right once when I left the bathroom to see a stranger standing in the hallway. Turns out he was just a delivery driver who worked with my father and was dropping something off. It doesn’t totally explain why he was inside. Every time the dog barks at night makes me think intruder.The first time my brother stayed out late he knocked on my window at 3:00 am so I could let him in. When I heard it my first thought was ‘ a lot of scary movies start like this’. I get scared a lot. On the plus side I only had nightmares about the nutcracker and the second Harry Potter movie.

3. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What was it in the second Harry Potter movie that caused you to have nightmares if you don't mind me asking?

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure how common the feeling is - But those scenes where they film long conversations while driving ALWAYS make me anticipate a car accident jump scare LOL. While I enjoy the uneasiness that horror/thriller movies give me, action movies just make me tense for some reason.

5. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's crazy
    Aragog is terrifying (but that's the third movie and not the second right?). I really hate spiders. Also that delivery guy would freak me out, being in my house. My brother likes jump scare me and I loathe that. Anything possible in real life in movies scares me more often than not.

Those always get me- I jump in my chair haha. I notice I clench my jaw in thrillers a lot.

6. Loves books

Aragog and his hideous family of giant spiders. The first time I read the book I was terrified a couple of years later when the movie came out it was worse than my imagination. I didn’t have the dream as a kid I was in my mid twenties with my room overflowing with giant spiders and I didn’t wake up until one of them ripped off a chunk of my arm. I’d rather face the basilisk, I don’t mind snakes and I’d rather die by just looking at its eyes instead of being eaten alive.

7. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aragog is really a demon and no one can convince me otherwise.

8. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As someone who has arachnophobia, I couldn't agree more.

9. DinoTail

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly...a lot of romance movies give me hella anxiety. It is to the point where I cant even watch the screen...so yeah lol

10. calmac

calmac Guest

If I think someone is going to be killed in a dramatic or gory way, I cover my eyes and ask my partner if it is over yet. Some movie makers are so good at creating intense apprehension and even though I know it is acting, I am drawn into the movie like I am living it. I love movies that can get me wrapped so much into the story - except for dramatic killings.

11. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't remember which one it was but ever since watching Final Fantasy I can't drive behind or be near any trucks, I either have to slow down or get past them. Luckily we don't get any logging trucks around here however it still triggers anxiety.

12. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a lover of horror movies, so a movie giving me the creeps, getting stuck in my head, and making me look over my shoulder is just part of the thrill. Any horror fan will tell you this. One that really rocks you hard like that is pretty rare, so you tend to cherish those more than you dread them.

There are plenty of movies that trigger unwanted feelings in me, though. Anything with a scene of someone really abusing drugs in a believable way makes me... "itch." I don't really want to talk about it beyond that, except to say sometimes I have to step away. I think that's understandable.

13. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure lots of things can trigger me. I am not a fan of horror films so I don't watch them. But, I get triggered in some action movie when an innocent bystander gets killed by the villain or if the hero has to crawl through an enclosed space or literally go out on a ledge. I hate tightly enclosed spaces and heights and usually can feel the panic welling up like I am actually there.

14. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Planes made me nervous until I flew to D.C. once. I think it was watching shows where things went wrong like that. They checked my best friend more thoroughly because she was more tan than the rest of us and called it "random", that was a load of crap. Plane takeovers and crashes still give me anxiety, there's no way off.
    I didn't know true horror fans were like that- thought they were fearless lol. Needles bother me like that, I can't watch blood being drawn or injections since I had veins blown out in both my arms as a kid (allergy bloodwork).

15. Mysticsnow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't like watching movies where anyone gets sexual assaulted it's a big turn off to me or abused in anyway, the same with animals there was this horror movie that my sibling and I watched and we didn't finish it all because there was scene with a dog dead and a baby starved to death i was like omg who watches this shit? Moral of the story is don't ask random people in a horror movie group on Facebook what movie you should watch i understand not everyone is sick and twisted but some of those people seemed like it they even laughed at me when we told them that movie was disgusting, I love horror movies don't get me wrong, but that horror movie basically made me feel like shit for the remainder of that night, My sibling and I find our own horror movies from now on to watch, I really don't trust very many people now to pick a horror movie for me to watch.