1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different gazes

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sunbird, Apr 7, 2022.

1. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How can I tell a difference between a friendly gaze, attraction or sexual interest (or other)? I’m new to all of this and there’s a woman at a cafe who’s been winking and quite intensely gazing at me. I’m flattered by the attention she’s giving me, and at the same time feel a bit uncomfortable because I’m not looking for anything romantic or sexual right now. I wouldn’t mind a friendly conversation, I guess. I’m also aware that I’ve been looking at women more after I gave myself a permission to do that after many years of feeling shame about it. So while I’ve been enjoying that I sometimes I worry I may have welcomed romantic or sexual interest by doing that. I don’t know how I would feel is she approached me, and I probs wouldn’t approach her given her initial interest seems a bit more on the sexy side.

Tightrope and BiGemini87 like this.
  2. Rebelrebel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems maybe like she would like to talk to you? Something about you has piqued her interest.
    Do you want to talk to her? Are you interested in finding out more about her? Or is there something putting you off? Is it feeling shy? Or are you sensing something else....?

If you've just started letting yourself look, are you maybe appearing more open? I am experiencing that at the moment. I'm pretty shy and often keep my head down as a protective thing. When I'm open I find attention / eye contact sometimes a bit overwhelming. I still have no idea about what women are thinking/feeling, or kinds of looks. if someone looks back in a way I understand to be like my own gaze, I feel excited, but also quite vulnerable. Is that similar to how you're feeling?

sunbird likes this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sunbird.....Would it hurt to find out how she is interested in you? Perhaps this could turn into a wonderful friendship...who knows!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

sunbird and Rebelrebel like this.
  4. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. It helps to hear I’m not the only one not knowing what a woman is thinking or how she’s looking. I feel something similar - excited and vulnerable when meeting someone’s gaze. I do feel that I appear more open - after I came out I’ve been feeling a confidence growing around people which is new to me. I’m also going through a divorce and have depressive thoughts around that so I’m not feeling very energetic/sexy at the moment. Where I’m at is like a curious observing mode… I feel this woman’s quite upfront and energetic like a force of nature really so I fear we wouldn’t ”meet in the middle” for the time being… Those qualities tho piqued my interest initially. What’s maybe slightly off-putting is that she’s a bit of a flirt with everyone… That doesn’t mean we couldn’t become great friends I guess…

It’s been a good while since I’ve made a friend and never made a queer friend before irl. I’m feeling a bit scared. Any suggestions how I could strike up a friendly conversation especially around with these winks and gazes?

5. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she’s a flirty type it sounds like she maybe winks and gazes like this to every woman she feels she might have a chance with. (I know the type).

On that basis I’d put her in the friendship only category myself because I’m not into that kind of woman as in for a relationship.

If you wanted her as a friend you could just generally strike up a conversation with her and see where it goes.

sunbird likes this.
  6. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How long has this been going on for, and how frequently do you see her at this cafe? It might be worth it to try and get to know her, but if she's being flirtatious, I can see why you hesitate, given your own uncertainty about whether you really want or need a relationship right now.

Have you tried smiling back at her, a friendly wave, anything? It might be that now that you've given yourself permission to look more, you're putting out some kind of energy that's attracting others to you. I know some skeptics might say otherwise, but the kind of attitude we have is something we exude; so if you're feeling self-conscious and small, you might reflect that on the surface, and if you're feeling more confident, people tend to take notice.

Personally, I've noticed the same happen with me on days when I feel more confident, so maybe you're doing the same without realizing it.

Here's an idea (and feel free not to do it; I leave it to you). The next time you see her, jot something down on a napkin, something to the effect of, "I've noticed you flirting with me. I'm not sure I'm ready for anything, but if you want to be friends, here's my number/email". Signal to her to make sure she sees it, and leave it on your table when you leave the cafe. With any luck, she'll get to it before anyone comes by to clean things up.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what else can be done other than to approach her, or wait until she approaches you. ^^;

Tightrope and sunbird like this.
  7. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. Reading this helped me reflect on my present needs. I would like to have a friend to have some (non-sexual) fun with and who understands some of the challenges of coming out. To get a better sense about who she is, I might just go and say hello to her in a friendly way. I hope you don’t mind me asking also about what you think makes a gaze or a look flirtatious? Any thoughts? Mainly because I don’t want to do it to anybody without knowing. I don’t really smile a lot in general these days because I don’t want to give the wrong signals. But what if I’m just feeling happy and kind and want to smile? Am I just overthinking this? Obviously I am a novice *Sigh

Sunchimes likes this.
  8. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s been nearly four weeks and once or twice a week we arrive and eat lunch at the same time!

I do feel more confident in my own skin these days, but when I catch her looking at me I look back at her without smiling. I probably look like a pretty expressionless/serious character to be honest as I feel a bit overwhelmed she’s looking at me. Don’t feel fully relaxed so not smiling… Good point about little waving. I’m not sure I feel comfy doing it with her because of not wanting to return the flirt. But I’ve added it to my future repertoire :slight_smile:

This is exciting! Thanks for writing it out in detail. I want to do this one day (if I’ve the guts). I probably won’t do this with her because it’s more than I would do with a potential friend. I’ll save it for someone in the future when I’m feeling flirty :wink:

BiGemini87 likes this.
  9. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot to do with a gaze being flirtatious can involve the whole body language too. The eyes are a major indication as well. Does the person look you up and down as they smile at you? Do their eyes fix onto yours and then maybe look you up and down? Do they wink and then seem to fixate on you? Does the person repeatedly keep looking over at you? Do they suddenly start to giggle? All kinds of indications can give you an idea that they are “eying you up” so to speak.

A simple smile on the other hand wouldn’t have them staring at you for longer or eyeing you up and down constantly or grinning in certain ways. They’d just smile and look you in the eyes to tell you the big smile is for you. They may say “How are you doing?” Or “it’s a lovely day isn’t it?”

There’s a big difference and you get the vibe coming across with their smile and instantly know the difference between just a nice gesture or a flirtatious act towards you.

You needn’t worry. Your whole body language will tell someone that what you are doing is just giving someone a nice, happy smile. If your intentions were different towards someone then it would show.

That’s based from my own experiences anyway :slight_smile:

sunbird likes this.
  10. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. You wrote so clearly and I started to get a picture in my mind about the differences between someone being happy and being flirty. I wish someone would’ve taught this type of thing at school. I’ve struggled with reading people, making friends and don’t think I have actually ever flirted. No wonder. I was gay since I was a young girl but didn’t have those different interactions and always felt confused and like an outsider. No wonder everything felt a bit upside down. Sorry I sidetracked there a bit, just your post made me start to wonder about my growing up, what I learned or didn’t get to learn. Thank u <3

Sunchimes likes this.
  11. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You’re so welcome! I’m glad I could be of help to you. A lot of communication out there is through facial expression, body language and tone of voice.

No need to apologise either :slight_smile:

sunbird and Tightrope like this.
  12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've experienced this. Another thing to add is how long stolen glances last and whether there is some nervousness when the glances are perceived and then suddenly and awkwardly stopped.

sunbird and Sunchimes like this.
  13. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely true. I’ve found myself looking at someone and then when they see me looking I either just smile or I quickly look the other way!

sunbird likes this.
  14. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reflecting back on what happens when I see this woman… I’m definitely feeling nervous/awkward when I feel she’s glancing at me. I then sometimes look ”back”, and find she’s still looking at me either very intensely and serious or she gives a big smile, or winks. Whatever different thing she does, my response is always ”just looking” haha I’m feeling so nervous, until I can’t take the intensity of it and then I look down. Then I feel a bit embarassed cos I feel I should’ve/could’ve known how to respond to it somehow ”better” but hey, I’m really just being me in the moment :slight_smile:

Tightrope and Sunchimes like this.
  15. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand. It can be intimidating when it’s like this. It makes you feel awkward and not sure how to respond, so putting the head down is kind of a way to say to yourself “This isn’t happening.” lol

Another approach to her when she does this is that you could go up to her and say “Do I know you from somewhere? You seem to be looking over at me as if you know me.” That’ll definitely break the ice and it’ll put the ball in her court. It would be interesting to see how she’d react to that lol.

sunbird likes this.
  16. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like this suggestion it’s sassy! might actually try this :slight_smile:

Sunchimes likes this.
  17. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

sunbird likes this.
  18. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. Knowing me, I’ll most likely :hatched_chick:en out, but I like to play the scenario out in my head :slight_smile:

Sunchimes likes this.
  19. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mustered the courage to talk to her today. I turned to look at her in the queue and said a friendly hello and smiled… She then looked at me briefly without smiling and turned away. I came out from the cafe went to a park and started sobbing. I couldn’t understand why I was so affected. I guess at some point I must’ve developed feelings towards her without realising. She had been flirting a lot, I had been knowingly unavailable. I still developed feelings towards her. Now I feel like a teenager… The cafe’s next door from me it’s a bit hard to forget this… I guess it would’ve been hard for this to end in any other way as there had been no real progression to our journey of glances… I feel a bit foolish… Nevertheless I’m glad I tried to approach and now hopefully am much wiser about how I conduct myself with others…

20. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhh hugs!

This can happen so easily. Sometimes we don’t realise we’ve developed feelings. We get hurt when we thought someone was interested in us and then when we least expect it we get blanked out. It throws our emotions into disarray.

It’s a real learning curve.

Does this woman work in the cafe? Did she perhaps blank you because she was busy? Or was she simply in the queue with you?

Either way I’m so sorry you were left upset in the park.

I hope you’re feeling a bit better now.

More hugs.

sunbird likes this.