1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you "know" at a young age?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jax12, Aug 2, 2015.

?

Did you know at a young age?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Sort of

40 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I to was real interested in boys at age 14, just like Spartan. But I did not know what that meant. Not a clue. So I answered no to the main forum question.

2. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm gonna go with no. I didn't really even start questioning until I got out of high school. Honestly I didn't really care about either gender that much for most of my teenage years. I was the shy awkward one that hung out in the library all the time. I guess I was more concerned with learning and stuff to care about relationships or orientation and all that good stuff. It wasn't until I was maybe 20 or so that I started questioning. I came out to myself maybe around 21 or so and I'm 24 now so yeah. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#42 dragon20, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  3. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "sort of". I remember very early incidents of being turned on by women or maybe even feeling attraction. Ca. 5-6 years of age. But from that to actually 'knowing' - was a very long way. I did not 'know'- because I did not know what was normal & what was different.

4. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    In hindsight I notice signs from as young as 5 years old. When I was 5 I had this really intense friendship with this girl, and I was constantly jealous of her other friends when they hung out with her. I remember having an urge to kiss my best friend when I was about 9 but I freaked out and went home and prayed to god that it would never happen again. When I was 11 I pretended to have a crush on a boy when I really didn't. When I was 13 I had a really intense girl crush on Emma Stone (naturally, that woman is a goddess). I always got really uncomfortable when my friends would start talking about boys. When I was 14 I met a girl and I developed really intense feelings for her but, even after all of this I didn't realize I was gay until I was a month away from turning 16. I was lying in bed half asleep and I had this dream about this girl. It wasn't sexual or anything, it was just a dream about her. About how beautiful she was, her husky laugh, and the way I loved being around her. I woke up with a giant smile on my face, and I remember how as the fog of my dream dissipated my smile dropped and I realized I was in love with her. Needless to say I freaked the fuck out and started to cry. Also, did I mention it was 4:30 in the morning and I was in hotel room with my entire family, lol it was a baaaad night.

#44 OnceUponADream, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  5. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I knew for sure when I was 12, but in hindsight, there might have been earlier signs, I'm not sure, though.

6. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is so me! I felt like I just cared more about other things. I saw myself as straight because it's the default choice, but I never really cared about either gender. I was 18 before I started to realise.

#46 medic, Aug 5, 2015
  7. Indigos Star

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, the funny thing for me is that I was taught from a VERY early age that it was wrong. That god thought it, and they (gays), were disgusting.

So I was in denial until my teens, but I still had fantasies.

The biggest hint, I think, was the fact that my mom and aunt would always gush over cute guys, and so would my friends, but I neeeeeever saw the appeal. I liked guys. I do like guys. I like sex with guys. But I rarely find them physically attractive.
    Romantic attraction? (Which is rare with girls for me, oddly enough) Oh yeah. But usually not physical.

8. DayHiker

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I had no clue when I was young. I was probably 19 or 20 when I first aware of being attracted to guys as it happened (and it was another 6-8 years after that before I could even admit to myself I was gay).

I can now identify, in retrospect, times much earlier than that, but I didn't recognize it for what it was at the time. The earliest probably being The Dukes of Hazzard, which was a huge show when I was about 10-12. A lot of my friends were really into Daisy Duke; I didn't feel much of that, but thought Bo Duke was a great character. But like I said, I didn't recognize that for what it was at the time, and wasn't consciously aware of the attraction until many years later.

#48 DayHiker, Aug 5, 2015
  9. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I always felt different in regards to gender ever since I was little. I never liked it when people would force me into gender boxes and I was happiest just being me, AJ. Just a person, nothing else.

Sexuality and all that didn't really make a big impact on me until I was in middle school and then later, highschool. Around this time alot of my friends were dating and here I was more concerned about what the assignment was or what I was going to have for lunch that day and it did make me feel like I was abnormal. I haven't changed (lol) and I'm more content now since I know I'm ace/aro so it's allgoods in my book.

10. guitar

Before puberty I liked hanging out with boys but no feelings ever set in. Around 12 I can remember feeling things toward guys & feeling attracted to them, but basically repressed those feelings for a decade or so.

I'll never forget in 8th grade our teacher givng us the "probably 3 or 4 of you in this class are gay" and a girl caught me wincing at that statement. She confronted me later in the hall "I saw that, you're gay aren't you?" "What? No!" Sure enough she saw in me 10 years before I would see/accept it in myself.

11. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think, I sort of knew, but in the oblivious kind of way, if you know what I mean. When I was little, I had more fun playing with the boys in nursery school, but then in primary school, I went to an all-girls school that became co-Ed coz there weren't enough students, and there were only two boys from what I can remember, and I remember playing with them after school but I can't remember them during breaks.

Then when I was seven, we moved here from England, and this time it really was an all-girls school and still is. I wasn't very social, and apparently we went to a child psychologist to work on my social skills in Grade 5 or 6 or something. I didn't really care about puberty (I kind of ignored it coz I didn't like it) so (when I realized I had) my first crush was when I was in Grade 9, at fourteen, but it felt so embarrassing because the girl who asked me if I liked anybody wouldn't understand if I said I liked an anime character (It was England from Hetalia, okay ^^; Maybe it was because I was from England but he's still a cute tsundere X3).

And then one of my best friends who I met in Grade 8 made it worse by teasing me about my best guy friend when I was 13, and then that managed to influence me enough to have a crush on him when I was 15 but I don't think I would have thought about him like that if she hadn't done that XP.

And since I'm at an all-girls school, my lack of contact with males has made me cold around them (unless they start talking anime) and now I don't know if I really feel like a male because I don't know how males feel because it's so disconnected.

Though, when a lady came to do a speech on gender identity at our school in Grade 10, that was when I began questioning myself, and then because I thought I was a FtM, I thought I had to like girls, so I started out forcing myself to but now I find some cute (though most are anime girls, to be honest XD). And then this year, I can't quite remember what urged me to begin researching again, since I've basically thought I'm male this whole year past and get so irritated when people tell me things like 'That's not ladylike' and as my mother has said 'that's so uncouth' or that I can't do so and so because I'm not a male when I feel like I am.

Oh, and I told my best friend last year, and then she asked if it was alright to do for creative writing, since she didn't have any ideas, so I let her, but I guess I lied on one of the questions she asked me about actually wanting a male body because I thought she wouldn't understand, so then, her story came out wrongish - it's alright to people who dont really know how it feels, but to me it's just missing that desire...