1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever suspect that your kid wasn't straight?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by starmotive, Mar 8, 2019.

1. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am out to my mom and all of my friends, but with my mom it is one of those things 'that we never talk about'. After I came out to my mom, I tried writing a letter to her detailing the pain I experienced growing up and I asked her if she ever suspected that I am gay. The only response I got from her was that she loves me no matter what.

I am curious to know whether there are parents who 'knew' their child was gay before they came out to you and how did you know?

2. Dian1977

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm fairly new to this but I think I suspected my son was gay at times. I did flat out ask a couple times when for example I noticed he always ran with guy groups. There was a couple friends he'd be super intense with and I suspect that those where crushes. Now he's come out as a adult. (he struggled but I think he now knows we love and support him no matter what) I have talked to a couple other moms and they mentioned similar things with their children, but I feel that it's really a individual thing.

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a clue. My mom is deceased so all I can do is speculate. Deep deep down I highly suspect she knew I was gay but was in hyper denial. There's just to many clues for me to analyze to say, "na she never knew."

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom knew since I was little. My dad did not know but both are accepting.

TNparent and gravechild like this.
  5. TaurusMage

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe my mom ever thought much of it and just assumed I was totally straight and a late bloomer. You see, I never, ever talked about boys . . . ever. I was a pretty intense tomboy when I was younger. My dad would at times get drunk and say that if he were gay he'd just come out with it (which I realize is a bit problematic, but it was his way of encouraging me to talk to him). I do remember a time in my preteen / early teen years when he was drunk and told me he "knew" that I was lesbian.

As it turns out he wasn't quite right anyway :cold_sweat: But still, he knew something was up . . . just for the wrong reasons.