1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating while living with homophobic parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Aka77, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Aka77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm 20,I'm a bi guy and I just got into university
    .When I was around 16 years old my mother read my diary about me liking a guy and found out about my sexuality . She completely freaked out, used a lot of homophobic slurs and since then my life has been quite hard. My parents don't believe bi people exist only gay and straight. They don't believe I was born with it and certain LGBT people inspired me to be bi. They have verbally abused me many times and act like my sexuality doesn't exist. It's like they have made an invisible bargain with me, that as long as I haven't dated a guy there's still room for me to be straight . Every 3-4 days they ask me about me meeting or liking a girl because they are so obsessed with me getting a gf. They won't leave it alone and my mom will attack me about that matter numerous times.
    I met this guy in university which I really like. He is queer and as I have noticed he probably does too. I'm really happy and I would definitely want to hook up with him, the problem is that I live with my parents and I don't know how to balance it. I'm so happy but also completely stressed and frightened at the same time. I am not financially independent yet and it's really hard to get my own space because in my country apartments even small ones are quite expensive.How am I supposed to continue living my life the way I want to ?

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @Aka77 and welcome to EC.

I’m really sorry to hear about your current situation and the way that your parents have treated you. It must be really hard to cope with.

As hard as it will be, the priority has to be not putting yourself in danger or at risk of becoming homeless. Do you think either of those are likely? It may need to be a case of coping as best as you can and putting every effort you can into saving, until you’re in a position where you can move out. How long do you imagine that you’ll be living at home? Do you have a good support network at university?

With regards to the guy, it’s understandable that you feel stressed and frightened. Could you explain a little more of what you imagine the situation would be if you were dating? What specifically is frightening you? For example, are your parents controlling? Do you they ask a lot of questions and would you easily be able to leave the house to meet up with him?

johndeere3020, quebec and BiGemini87 like this.
  3. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, @Aka77!

@LostInDaydreams has brought up some great points and questions already, but I'll pitch in as well:

Unless there's a possibility of you being able to date this guy on the DL, it might be in your best interest to hold off for the time being. I understand this can be incredibly frustrating and disheartening, but your safety is of the utmost importance. Even if your parents weren't to become physically abusive, it sounds to me like they have no shortage of ways to make life more difficult for you than they already have.

I think it would be a good start to look into some support networks in your area; are there any LGBT+ organizations that can help you in this specific predicament? Any friends or close family members you could go stay with for a bit until you can find a place of your own?

If it turns out this guy likes you and you can date on the DL, be sure to let him know about your situation beforehand--that way he isn't blindly walking into a difficult situation.

If this isn't viable, it might be time to start saving up for a place. However long it takes, it would be good to start doing so in case you find yourself in need of emergency money. This is supposing a worst-case scenario of course, so if you don't think you're in any real danger, I would just say approach this situation with caution.

Either way, now or later--you need to get away from your parents. They are toxic, and as long as you're under their roof, it will be difficult for you to live as your authentic self.

#3 BiGemini87, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  4. Ayla22x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    so sorry to hear how life has treated you @Aka77 I can only imagine how you feel and how isolated you feel around your mum and how she has treated you about your sexuality.

The way she has acted has shown maybe she can't seem to realise that you liking a boy is fine in society and that not always does a male have to like a girl as you should feel equal as the same as a straight male.
    At the end of the day she should not make slurs and treat you differently due to your sexuality as that hurts and I am so sorry you have gone through that you did not deserve that.

Bi people are getting treated differently because we aren't Lesbian or gay we are in the middle we should be treated the same as it is totally unacceptable that we get slurs etc.
    it is not up to your mum who you choose to like, if she doesn't respect you then you know that you don't have to listen to her when she is abusing you with those words. Have you talked to her about this? well done for reaching out keep posting, Hugs!

Ayla -

5. TommyC00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, it's great that you've found someone at university that you like, and hopefully he likes you back. It's hard cos you want to be honest and open with your family, especially about relationships. But if they aren't accepting then they'll not be happy with it, will try and ruin your relationship with this guy. In my experience, I go on dates quite a lot, but don't tell my parents. I just use uni as an excuse, and they'll believe it. Sadly I can't lie for the rest of my life, so I will tell them, especially if I want to bring him home or make him my boyfriend (never brought anyone home before so they'd be confused af). Wishing you all the best, sending hugs and love <3

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  6. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, this is strikingly similar to my situation. I hate you have to go through something like this too. I went ahead and decided to take a chance on my girlfriend but in order to do that I had to accept the risks. If you really want to date this guy despite the risks you need to hope for the best but plan for the worst. You can't take pictures together, you can't be seen together in public, you can't do any public displays of affection, you can't leave evidence of being together in your phone anywhere, and you have to be very careful of who you disclose your relationship to. If you don't do all of that you could get caught easily, and you need to have a plan in place just in case- like excuses to be together and a place to stay if things go awry. Keeping your relationship a secret like this will probably take a toll on you both too so make sure you're regularly checking in with him and acknowledging your own feelings. I hope this helped! Good luck!

TommyC00 likes this.
  7. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How you doing ?